closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 174 of 178 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,700 of 8873

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Just made an ISA addition of a buy on SMT.

Once everyone's favourite UK Investment Trust seems now to be well out of favour trading at a 15% discount; I think the fundamentals of the fund are still sound and it has trimmed back its Chinese holdings to 9%.

Lets see how it goes ... bought at 739p
    Followed your tip and bought in at 742p, but carried on buying at 650p and 620p, so doing alright out of this one now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Tesla up 58% since this post on no news other than continuously building inventory and more price cuts.

Bubble like euphoria in everything big tech atm. Thinking yesterday looks very much like a short term high in the Nasdaq though.

When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

AMTE power running out of cash and share price down 75% in the last 5 days.

Will the Government allow the only U.K. owned battery producer to fail in its race to net zero and leccy cars?

Might put a grand in for sh1ts and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Will the Government allow the only U.K. owned battery producer to fail in its race to net zero and leccy cars?

UK gov seem preoccupied tbh

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If you seriously are thinking the government will bail out the shareholders of a £15 mio marketcap company heading for bankruptcy, I have a bridge or two that you should have a look at.

Whatever happens at the company, current shareholders won't benefit.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

If you seriously are thinking the government will bail out the shareholders of a £15 mio marketcap company heading for bankruptcy, I have a bridge or two that you should have a look at.

Whatever happens at the company, current shareholders won't benefit.
    In talks with other parties too. It would be the loss of the UK’s only homegrown battery company, but I will now to your wider knowledge in the company finance area.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 19th June 2023 at 13:14.

In talks with other parties too. It would be the loss of the UK’s only homegrown battery company, but I will now to your wider knowledge in the company finance area.
    Any company investing will insist on terms that either dilute existing shareholders into oblivion or includes an outright bankruptcy. The company may survive, but the shareholders?

Any company investing will insist on terms that either dilute existing shareholders into oblivion or includes an outright bankruptcy. The company may survive, but the shareholders?
    Thanks. Any gut feel on Vodafone? Big in continental Europe. Looking to add quite a bit more to that.

Thanks. Any gut feel on Vodafone? Big in continental Europe. Looking to add quite a bit more to that.
    Sorry no view.

But your grand is probably better invested in VOD than in a failing microcap (disclaimer: that failing microcap may be up 100% tomorrow on some sort of news, but it's like playing lottery with the odds stacked against you: you will most likely lose in the end).

There's an old saying that your portfolio is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it gets.

I've been guilty of that in the past so down to just 2 holdings now - a Global HSBC Tracker at super low cost and I've kept my SMT investment (41% down currently) in play in the hope that it recovers over time

There's also one about a basket and eggs...

(a global tracker is, of course, diversified in its own right)

Heard of Britishvolt?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Heard of Britishvolt?
    I believe they were just a paper company and they never had a any manufacturing facility.

AMTE are a spin off of AEA (Atomic Energy Authority) and then Quentiq, and have had long standing manufacturing facilities in Northern Scotland.

AMTE are a proper company unlike the smoke and mirrors of BritishVolt.

AMTE are certainly more tangible but they are very small and far from profit making. Unlikely to get any government help in my view.

In for a penny, in for a pound as the saying goes...stick 10, 20 grand in Nota, max the shiggles.

I might go with Hornby, only 20p and another pandemic might see everyone playing with trains again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    Bubble like euphoria in everything big tech atm. Thinking yesterday looks very much like a short term high in the Nasdaq though.
    Called that well. Unfortunately I made a mess trading it in Tuesday's chop.

Master
    not been a good couple of weeks for UK listed stocks!!

If you say so, bet accepted.

Chinnock: AMC price > $50 on 30/06/2023, Chinnock over, Raffe under. £50.
    Is $4.35 more or less than $50?

Is $4.35 more or less than $50?
    VAR required

Seeing as I think you can get savings rates at around 5.5% what are you hoping to achieve returns wise on the stock market in return for the additional risk? I guess that 5.5% is still below inflation of course.

I’ve been doing a lot of homework over the last two years.

Opened some positions on a selection of Bitcoin miners back in March.

Targeting 1000%+ by Christmas or Q1 2024.

Let’s see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve been doing a lot of homework over the last two years.

Opened some positions on a selection of Bitcoin miners back in March.

Targeting 1000%+ by Christmas or Q1 2024.

Let’s see what happens.

One-trick-ponying it again?

This will end up in tears, as before.

One-trick-ponying it again?

This will end up in tears, as before.

I’ve no tears left anymore.

My chosen pension funds have been quite heavily weighted towards small cap, which has taken a bit of a battering this last year or two. Relatively low price earnings compared to big cap now, so hanging in there hoping for an upswing soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve no tears left anymore.
    I can definitely see another crypto bull run, prices have been basing for a while. Just make sure you have sensible stops (at breakeven at least now they're up nicely) and let them run I say. Good luck

One man's base is another one's plateau.

I have also been waiting for some upside action but quite disappointing that nothing seems to happen. Not giving up yet, but if this breaks below it may also quickly collapse. Market feels very long.

Master
    Yes possibly. I'm also watching and have no view either way, just waiting for a tradable move.

Down another 70% since. Hope you stayed away?

Yep, I took your broad advice on that one, thanks.

But that's 145%...

;-)

Master
    I am sure this has been covered somewhere on this thread but can anyone suggest a decent app for buying/selling stocks? Something easy to use would be good!

Ta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a spac, ended up with shares in Grindr!

Who said it?

"I am also pleased with our economic curtailment programs that contribute to the stability of the Texas grid during periods of peak demand while simultaneously reducing our total power costs."

Genuine question, very interested to see what fellow members would do in this situation.

A decent chunk (around 15%) of my SIPP is in SMT which is currently around 40% down on what I paid for it. Common wisdom would have been to cut the losses before it got anywhere near that level but hey it is what it is. At the same time my main index tracker (HSBC Global) is modestly up.

In the current situation would you be tempted to let SMT 'ride' in the expectation that it is a more volatile fund and may recover faster and grow faster than the index tracker or would you cut your losses now and stick the balance into the index tracker? My window is around 13 years BTW so no major hurry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Genuine question, very interested to see what fellow members would do in this situation.

A decent chunk (around 15%) of my SIPP is in SMT which is currently around 40% down on what I paid for it. Common wisdom would have been to cut the losses before it got anywhere near that level but hey it is what it is. At the same time my main index tracker (HSBC Global) is modestly up.

In the current situation would you be tempted to let SMT 'ride' in the expectation that it is a more volatile fund and may recover faster and grow faster than the index tracker or would you cut your losses now and stick the balance into the index tracker? My window is around 13 years BTW so no major hurry.
    I hold some SMT which I bought relatively recently and is 12% down. It’s a long term hold for me but only 2% of my ISA portfolio so not that significant but I hope maybe it will be 4% in 10 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

With a 13 year window I'd leave it in there (and look to add on decent pullbacks). It's predominantly a tech trust as you know, it's heavily sentiment and momentum driven and you have to think there will be another strong leg in this sector in the next 13 years which will vastly outpace a diversified global tracker.

I wouldn't touch SMT with a ten foot pole.

First, why would anyone invest in a closed end fund with its patterns of premiums/discount to NAV? Whenever you need to sell, because they underperformed, the trust will be trading at a discount, punishing you twice. When you want to buy, because growth is en vogue - premium. The retail investor is always on the wrong side.

Then, the fund has a huge problem with its unlisted holdings with an intransparent valuation process.

Lastly, you'll be better off with a straight investment into NASDAQ (QQQ), which is giving you the same growth factor exposure at considerably lower cost.

Waiting for ten years only because you are not able to sell an investment at a loss will just cost you a heap of fees for a bog standard growth fund.

Master
    I wouldn't invest in it either but my advice was based on Ryan's current position. It has its place with the hands-off investor looking for exposure to tech with an active manager.

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    I wouldn't invest in it either but my advice was based on Ryan's current position. It has its place with the hands-off investor looking for exposure to tech with an active manager.
    An active manager with an investment process and proper risk management maybe, but not a narcissistic idiot like James Anderson who drunkenly plowed investor money into idiotic positions purely based on momentum.

AMC lowest since January 2021, before the whole insanity started.

But I am reliably told on Xitter that this is a sign of strength and the MOASS will be starting probably tomorrow, latest next week.

#apesnotleaving #tothemoon #lolz

Master
    Not seeing much interest for it on swaggy stocks

https://swaggystocks.com/

An active manager with an investment process and proper risk management maybe, but not a narcissistic idiot like James Anderson who drunkenly plowed investor money into idiotic positions purely based on momentum.
    didn't he leave (although i guess many of his positions still remain). from what i read a while back, a lot of the fund is now in life sciences so it seems like a punt on some of those companies coming good at some point. but with PE funding costs so much higher now it wouldnt surprise me if some start to go under (a friend of mine works for well regarded life sciences company in cambridge - with a proven product- and has been told the company might fold if they cant renew funding in the next month or two).
    i have a residual position in SMT that i'm keeping on as a total punt, but it's way less than 15%. i wouldnt want that much exposure, personally.
    Last edited by robinsongreen68; 22nd August 2023 at 12:49.

Yep, he's gone but a lot of his damage remains in the portfolio.

SMT is a momentum play, and I'd rather achieve that with a cheap factor exposure rather than paying for "active" management. Just calculate how much of your return will disappear in Baillie Gifford's pockets over ten years.

AMC lowest since January 2021, before the whole insanity started.

But I am reliably told on Xitter that this is a sign of strength and the MOASS will be starting probably tomorrow, latest next week.

#apesnotleaving #tothemoon #lolz
    Down another 30% since this post.

Anyone for a bet where AMC will be taking on 31/12?

#apeswinning

Tempted to buy the dip, just holding out for a little longer
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Tempted to buy the dip, just holding out for a little longer
    Yeah, it's clearly building a bottom. Very bullish.

Sub $ worth a punt or two.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Sub $ worth a punt or two.
    Is it?

This is a five year chart of AMC. The main chart (green and red candles, right-hand scale) shows the price movement of the shares, topping at $39 during the meme-stock craze. The blue line shows shares outstanding (left-hand scale).

During the past five years, the board has consistently increased share count and kept selling fresh shares into any price strength. During this time, the number of shares outstanding increased from about 100 million shares to over 1.5 billion shares!

During this time, company insiders (Board members and executive management) have been issuing lots of positive news and statements - however have not bought a single share in their own company. To the opposite, they have been selling tens of millions of shares for hundreds of millions of good old Dollar cash. https://marketchameleon.com/Overview/AMC/InsiderTrades/

This baby might produce a bounce or two, but its final destination is $0.00