closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 79 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,950 of 8866

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    agree with all you're saying raffe, the only caveat is that i wouldn't have spotted TSLA back when the SMT guys did- weren't they very early investors?. so surely they deserve some credit for that?
    Yes, maybe.

But this exposure is beyond crazy and has nothing to do with risk diversification:

Master
    Scottish Mortgage has owned Tesla stock since 2013, and over the time has endured large drawdowns in the share price as well as its most recent stratospheric rise.
    Managers James Anderson and Tom Slater wrote in the trust's interim results report earlier this month that the underlying return picture for Tesla was “far from an aberration”.
    They said: “Tesla has made significant operational progress. It has successfully added capacity and the production ramp of its latest model has progressed far more smoothly than for any of its previous vehicles.
    “Demand for its products is strong and the response from its traditional competitors remains muted. It is still our largest holding even though we sold over 40% of our shares during the period to ensure that the portfolio has an appropriate level of diversification.”

Watching with interest.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Preach!

I lost (relatively) on active picks for years before I switched to (Vanguard) indices. Slept better and made more money since then ;)
    Agreed - tried a DIY portfolio but peace of mind and ease with Vanguard FTSE All Cap is great. 0.15% platform fee on vanguard direct so cheaper than my DIY "cheap" portfolio on Fidelity @ 0.35%.

Did similar with pension. Am on the Aviva platform, moved out of Blackrock 30:70 currency hedged and into generic world equity. 30% UK equity seems far too high and I'm not paying for currency hedging for the next X years.

Open to criticism of the above of course!

Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    Agreed - tried a DIY portfolio but peace of mind and ease with Vanguard FTSE All Cap is great. 0.15% platform fee on vanguard direct so cheaper than my DIY "cheap" portfolio on Fidelity @ 0.35%.

Did similar with pension. Am on the Aviva platform, moved out of Blackrock 30:70 currency hedged and into generic world equity. 30% UK equity seems far too high and I'm not paying for currency hedging for the next X years.

Open to criticism of the above of course!

*You should sell 80% of that and put it in 60% Bitcoin, 15% Ethereum and 5% Putincoin, a new Crypto from Russia. You heard it first here bruv.

*Don't do any of this

California uberalles

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

It's looking a tad tight $13.8k + $5k = $18.8 but you might just get away with it.

(Whatever Jimmy Song may think.)
    And that was that.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    And that was that.
    You should worry. I'd been meaning for a while to sell the (very) modest amount I was still hodling and used your post as a prompt to finally cash out.

No matter. The Lambo is ordered and on its way.

The Learjet will just have to wait a little while longer.

Sorry.

Oxford vaccine 70% effective. Less than Moderna/Pfizer but much cheaper and easier to distribute. What is important is that no hospitalisations/serious infections were seen in patients receiving the vaccine
    Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd November 2020 at 08:26.

Seems to be changing to 90

Yep where a half dose was provided followed up by a full dose a month later 90% protection was conferred. They will investigate and check that is scalable - there are some theories as to why this is but best left to a virologist to explain fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Seems to be changing to 90

AstraZeneca share price down lol

AstraZeneca share price down lol

It is odd. The vaccine is actually MORE effective than Pfizer/Moderna as it included asymptomatic cases of Covid in the efficacy measurements whereas the other 2 did not, plus it is far easier to distribute globally and costs a fraction of the price.

That being said AZN were doing this at cost so not making profit - still doesn't explain why the price is down. But then again there is no rational reason for why Tesla is as high as it is so I guess the upshot is that people in general can be pretty thick lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Moderna, Pfizer and Biontech are all up on the pre market too

The move from saying 70% to 90% might also be that if they'd kept the jargon at only 70% effective, no one would want to take it.

I mean, who would want to be given a 70% effective treatment when it's known there is one that's 94% effective.

I'd say the ANZ share price dip could be due to the vaccine being thought of as "less good" than the others.

I expect there will be a lot of people who either do not want to take a vaccine at all, or until further testing time has passed, and there will be many who only want to take one particular vaccine that has the best results and least side effects.

This pandemic is so far from over.

With the positive news on vaccines, Biden looking secure and apparently Brexit is getting close to deal, what do the great and good think about markets having a serious hangover and recent gains evaporating away before we can see a steady recovery??

TESLA storming up the charts again - Why???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It is odd. The vaccine is actually MORE effective than Pfizer/Moderna as it included asymptomatic cases of Covid in the efficacy measurements whereas the other 2 did not, plus it is far easier to distribute globally and costs a fraction of the price.

That being said AZN were doing this at cost so not making profit - still doesn't explain why the price is down. But then again there is no rational reason for why Tesla is as high as it is so I guess the upshot is that people in general can be pretty thick lol.
    Seems the market had already priced in even better news: https://news.sky.com/video/why-has-a...allen-12140169

Still strange to see the lack of reaction in the wider market to what could be a game changer, given the cheaper price, ease of distribution, and with the right dosing, quite likely results as good as the more expensive alternatives.

Vaccines priced in I think, bigger picture now on economic data

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    TESLA storming up the charts again - Why???
    Because another roof flew off over the weekend.

Craftsman
    Anyone else invested in EV stocks? XPEV, NIO, LI etc? I got in fairly early and there seems to be no stopping them!

Dow rampant

Footsie meh

On a whim, I just placed buy orders on ten EV stocks for $2,000 each. See how they fare over the next few weeks and then double-down on the ones I like best.

Strong close in the Dow Jones last night with the benchmark ending the session +327 points. With Dow Futures indicating a further rise of 260 points and a sharply higher oil price, Brent currently $46.60 a barrel perhaps the FTSE 100 will break the 6400 barrier today. #ftse100

DOW 30K

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    DOW 30K

No no, that cannot be.

No no, that cannot be.

Trump is still president at the moment. It will be interesting to see where the Dow sits in Nov 2023.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Trump is still president at the moment. It will be interesting to see where the Dow sits in Nov 2023.
    LOLZ. Four years ago, all gains for the stock market as of election day were to be attributed to Trump. Now that doesn't count anymore?

If you believe in Bitcoin, this is the time to start dipping your toes. After reaching USD 19,500 yesterday afternoon, it has sold off to below USD 17,000.

Will I buy? Ew, no.

Master
    If you believe in Bitcoin, this is the time to start dipping your toes. After reaching USD 19,500 yesterday afternoon, it has sold off to below USD 17,000.

Will I buy? Ew, no.

If I was able to, I'd be buying right now.

Even if it's only a small amount, is it not a good punt to have a few quid in, on the chance it goes crazy?

Is there any way to “buy” BTC on the Hargreaves Landsdown platform?

Not that I’d go for it, but interesting to know if there’s an ETC or similar that get an exposure to it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If I was able to, I'd be buying right now.

Even if it's only a small amount, is it not a good punt to have a few quid in, on the chance it goes crazy?
    Hasn’t it already gone crazy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Hasn’t it already gone crazy?
    Yes. But it could go even more crazy. That’s the gamble I suppose.

If you have money you can afford to lose, I can think of much worse gambles though. The potential upside (for me) outweighs the potential downside (goes to zero)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

Not that I’d go for it, but interesting to know if there’s an ETC or similar that get an exposure to it?
    Bitcoin Tracker
    https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...in-tracker-one

Ether Tracker
    https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...r-tracker-euro

Both sadly banned from online purchases on hl

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Both sadly banned from online purchases on hl
    Why would they prevent online sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    There is UK legislation coming in early next year to prevent some forms of Bitcoin purchase due to large numbers of fraud cases around these purchases. I bought the Euro BTC tracker for my SIPP about a month ago when I went back recently i was unable to buy more. When i spoke to HL they said that although the legislation wasn't coming in until next year they decided that with immediate affect the BTC tracker could not be purchased and were giving no warning about this - they said by giving warning it would have created a larger demand (?!) You can keep any you have already purchased within the SIPP though. For me it was a small part of the SIPP and just a punt for the next 10/20 yrs...I was disappointed though I couldn't buy a little more this year.

We need a Brexit Deal and Astra Zeneca to suddenly declare it was an excel issue and it's bown99%

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Because it is not suitable for retail investors?

(from the KIID).

What's interesting from Sunaks statement was he said nothing about the impact of Brexit, deal or no deal

He just ignored it

Therefore it's reasonable to deduce it's bloody horrific

What's interesting from Sunaks statement was he said nothing about the impact of Brexit, deal or no deal

He just ignored it

Ominously quiet you might say.

Master
    For the country yes but probably not for the various ministers and MPs who have investments based on a no deal.

Brexit aside, I didn't doubt that the UK would prosper in the long run but I'm becoming increasingly concerned about exactly how much damage this incompetent Cabinet can create that will haunt us for years. Their lack of preparation when Covid-19 was emerging, and their mishandling of so many aspects since, has creating multi generational debt with no sign of the mismanagement ending.

Tesla keep on going

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    For the country yes but probably not for the various ministers and MPs who have investments based on a no deal..
    What do you think they are holding? I often hear that but what is the substance?

Master
    What do you think they are holding? I often hear that but what is the substance?
    There's been much press coverage around the hedge funds/speculators backing Boris Johnson expecting to make large profits from a no deal Brexit. Forgive me for being suspicious that a man who based his PM campaign on having a deal ready has now missed his own deadline for a deal, promoted breaking international law and has done an about turn on the damage of no deal.

Given their inside track on the prospects of a deal I think it would be naive to assume they haven't organised their personal wealth based on their inside knowledge, as well as sharing insights with their mates given their chequered history to date and the mounting evidence of VIP treatment for PPE contracts, preferential treatment for wealthy property developers etc. The suspicion is many will receive financial rewards in some form post their political career.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    There's been much press coverage around the hedge funds/speculators backing Boris Johnson expecting to make large profits from a no deal Brexit. Forgive me for being suspicious that a man who based his PM campaign on having a deal ready has now missed his own deadline for a deal, promoted breaking international law and has done an about turn on the damage of no deal.

Given their inside track on the prospects of a deal I think it would be naive to assume they haven't organised their personal wealth based on their inside knowledge, as well as sharing insights with their mates given their chequered history to date and the mounting evidence of VIP treatment for PPE contracts, preferential treatment for wealthy property developers etc. The suspicion is many will receive financial rewards in some form post their political career.
    I’m sure they all have their snouts in the trough ... I’m just wondering what’s in it?

I’m guessing some currency speculation against the pound would be a good start.

Master
    I’m sure they all have their snouts in the trough ... I’m just wondering what’s in it?

I’m guessing some currency speculation against the pound would be a good start.
    Betting against the pound is certainly one thing suggested but I think they are also backing a UK economic slump, presumably by shorting shares or investing in companies that might benefit. I've not been following this possibility in detail and I think there's a great difficulty in doing so because of the lack of transparency about Ministers' personal interests, connections etc.

There's an interesting visualisation, called My Little Crony, showing some of the connections uncovered in the PPE deals awarded, link below. What it demonstrates for me is just how insestuous these arrangements can be.

https://www.sophie-e-hill.com/post/my-little-crony/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

MSTR (Microstrategy) on HL will give you exposure. They bought $425m worth this year.

Disclaimer: I bought some for a punt in my ISA and in my kids ISAs too.

TSLA > $600