closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old wedding ring... what to do?

Old wedding ring... what to do?

So I found my old white-gold wedding ring the other day. Divorce is just finalising and have been separated for half a dozen years.

Do I just weigh it in? Have it made into something? Keep it stashed away?

It’s not an important thing but I am torn between the significance it held, and the practicality of it just being a lump of metal now.

If it makes a difference, my father paid for it as a gift (for hers too). And my father has almost never paid for anything in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about having it remade into a signet ring with the family crest, like the idea but am not much of a jewellery-wearer.

Blog Entries
    Do you have kids? If so, keep it and have it reworked into a ring when he/she gets married

Keep it stashed, for the time being as a memorial to your dad, and whatever were the thoughts and feelings he had when he paid for it, and later to help focus ancient thoughts when they decide to reappear.

Master
    Having another ring made from your wedding ring sounds like a good idea, but your still going to be reminded of the time that you was married. I would weigh it in and see what you could buy with the proceeds, or even give your father some money back.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep it I think,

Depends I guess on what it means to you and the circumstances of your divorce being bitter or amicable... only you know that..

I weighed mine in, never had sellers remorse over that one.

I believe our weddings rings are kept together with the wedding photos - as a bit of history for the kids more than anything.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks. Split was a bit hard - not amicable!

Maybe keep it to remember/reflect in future.

It owes me nothing, no need to sell (although she cost me a fortune).
    I think I consider my father as much as her when I look at the ring, and maybe one for my Son (also her Son) in future to do what he will with. It’s an opportunity to tell him about it all once he is old enough to appreciate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take your time, and see in the future how it all feels.

Friend of mine taped his to a golf ball, teed it up on the beach and smacked it into the Sea

It wasn't an amicable break up...

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Thanks. Split was a bit hard - not amicable!

Maybe keep it to remember/reflect in future.

It owes me nothing, no need to sell (although she cost me a fortune).
    I think I consider my father as much as her when I look at the ring, and maybe one for my Son (also her Son) in future to do what he will with. It’s an opportunity to tell him about it all once he is old enough to appreciate.

I would hope you have better things to remember your Father by ..
    Chuck in a box with the photos and forget about it.
    Time can be a great healer you may feel different towards it in the future when your head is a bit clearer from the stress of it all
    All the best fella and look forward to happier times ...

When my father was ill in the last few years of his life he was in and out of hospital, he had a 22k gold chain he always wore, when he went into hospital I’d take it and give it back on his return just for safe keeping. When he passed it went in my desk and stayed there, to short for me and not my sons style. After 4 years I finally decided to get it sold, took it to London and cashed it in, spent the money on a new shotgun. I’m happy and have something I will use rather than another thing in a draw.

Craftsman
    My wedding ring went onto the tip of a firework rocket the day I got the final divorce paperwork!!
    My father did not pay for it tho!! Take your time, there is no rush to do anything with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buzz it. I very nearly went down to Poole Quay to see if it would float, but thought better of it. Glad I kept myself under control now. Good luck with everything, it's a difficult time.

The weight in gold won't be much, but enough for coke and hookers. Just sayin'

Master
    Mine went into a fish tank, no idea what happened after that.

I’d see if I could find someone to melt it down and forge something new out of it. The ring represented marriage. The something new represents your dad. Or unleash your inner magical dwarf and spend ten minutes giving it the good news with a lump hammer. I bet it’d make a good coaster for your evening tipple.

Master
    If you want to chop in any jewellery to get something new my wife found this site. I gave to say there are very few pieces I dont like

https://www.suelanejewellery.co.uk/pages/remodelling

Steve

Craftsman
    Took mine down to The coast and flung it in the sea. Worth every penny if the value in scrap gold. To me, It’ll never be just a lump of gold once it’s been a wedding ring.

Sold mine and took the 2nd Mrs Wright for dinner. I had a good split but onwards and upwards and didn’t need anything to remind me of what was.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    The weight in gold won't be much, but enough for coke and hookers. Just sayin'
    This

Give us an idea of weight and carat, scrap value can then be worked out.
    Maybe take your Dad out for the day to something he would really enjoy, a nice meal and a few drinks, sporting event? Whatever really, but spend time with him and enjoy that ring money, this will give you better memories than the ring/marriage in the long run.

Craftsman
    Put it in a bottle with a message for the new owner and send it out to sea.

Make sure the tide is going out.

Master
    Do you wear cufflinks? If so you could always find a jeweller to turn it into a pair.

Perhaps convert to prince albert for the next lucky lady to put a smile on your face? You could also talk to your Dad (take him out for a beverage of choice) and see what he feels about it (the current ring I mean not the prince albert) as he's given a gift I doubt he'd want it/ the proceeds back?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I believe our weddings rings are kept together with the wedding photos - as a bit of history for the kids more than anything.
    Yup, mines with the wedding photographs on my loft. Ex said if I’d didn’t take the photographs she’d throw them away. Wish she’d said the same about the money😏

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Sold mine and took the 2nd Mrs Wright for dinner. I had a good split but onwards and upwards and didn’t need anything to remind me of what was.
    Good advice may as well get some enjoyment out of it !

Blog Entries
    I would sell it and spend the money on something I wanted. If you have more than one child you can’t split it.
    What is the ex doing with hers?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    So I found my old white-gold wedding ring the other day. Divorce is just finalising and have been separated for half a dozen years.

Do I just weigh it in? Have it made into something? Keep it stashed away?

It’s not an important thing but I am torn between the significance it held, and the practicality of it just being a lump of metal now.

If it makes a difference, my father paid for it as a gift (for hers too). And my father has almost never paid for anything in my life.

I sold mine got £400 it cost double that. Bought a new golf driver, still love the driver!

Buy something with the money you'll enjoy

-
    Last edited by wildheart; 13th March 2020 at 11:33.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Perhaps convert to prince albert for the next lucky lady to put a smile on your face?
    Coffee spat...! Agree with the in a box/drawer - take your time

Blog Entries
    My ex wife gave it to me the moment we decided to get divorced. I really don't like wearing rings and stuff and decided to give both to my little girl, 7 at the time. She's just turned 10 now and still holding on to them in a tiny English stamp box. I told her she could do whatever she wants with them when she's a bit older.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    This ^ a new tomorrow
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Why not trade it in for something else, maybe towards a watch? Me and my current wife traded in our old wedding rings a giants the new ones.

Advantage is you get the benefit of the money you (well your dad) invested, and none of the memories of your old relationship!

I’d only have an old jewellery item made into something new if I had good memories of the old thing.

Hope that makes sense.

Master
    Do you live anywhere near to Mount Doom?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Friend of mine taped his to a golf ball, teed it up on the beach and smacked it into the Sea

It wasn't an amicable break up...
    Superb
    Hope he didn't duff it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Superb
    Hope he didn't duff it.
    No he's a very proficient Golfer, ironically it was while he was spending so much time on the Golf course his wife was attempting a hole in one of her own at home with some other bloke

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Do you live anywhere near to Mount Doom?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    LOL.

Journeyman
    This has reminded me I'm in a similar position - I have mine and hers. No emotional attachment, so just want to get the best value for them. I'd be happy for a few hundred quid.

Thought I’d resurrect an old thread with the same topic rather that starting a new one

My in-laws inherited some old jewellery and rings from an Aunt many years ago. They’re in the process of moving and being in their 80s don’t fancy sitting on all this stuff
    A lot is made up of costume jewellery however there is a 22 carat gold wedding band which is very heavy
    It was assayed in Birmingham, clearly marked 22 but I can’t quite make out the date stamp. It’s either 1773 or 1824 ( A in a box)
    At the older mark still makes it nearly 200 years old. The question is please to anyone that knows, seeing as that it’s rather old does that make the ring more attractive and should be sold as a ring or does it have more value just for scrap?

Thanks for any replies
    FFF

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much scrap. I suppose you could give it a try on eBay but plain bands are... well.... plain bands. Not much demand for old ones. With gold at a high just cash it in.

I came upon the wedding ring from my first marriage the other day (divorced 40 years ago after 16 years and two kids). Just left it in my old jewelry box. I never see it.

Keep it. You can use it to barter with, after all the banks fall over

Master
    Could always use the gold to have a local jeweller make bands or similar for any offspring when they marry and probably better value than just selling for scrap.

Whenever any of my wifes jewelry (mainly rings) becomes available for what ever reason she offers them to the kids as heirlooms sort of, not been many but they have all been gratefully accepted and enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I came upon the wedding ring from my first marriage the other day (divorced 40 years ago after 16 years and two kids). Just left it in my old jewelry box. I never see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Master
    Sell it , give money to a worthy cause .

Blog Entries
    A spilt room and I understand why…

I sold mine for scrap…. It meant nothing to me and I had no mawkish reason to look at it again….

I also had no thought of inclination to have place it on a golf ball…. That’d implied to me that I gave monkies - I didn’t

I’d be very upset if I lost my current one as we do infer meaning on things…. I didn’t choose to keep something that I could stumble across that might remind of an unfortunate relationship….

Master
    I wear my Dad's wedding ring on my right pinkie. I find myself staring at it sometimes. I now have a collection of family weddng and engagement rings and don't know what to do with them. Diamond, gold, and opal rings. Seems sad to melt them as none of them are from divorces.