closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IS THIS THE BEST SEIKO RE-ISSUE EVER ?

Banned

IS THIS THE BEST SEIKO RE-ISSUE EVER ?

I recently picked this up from here , it’s the re-issue original turtle reference SLA033 , to say I’m in love is an understatement , even though it’s slightly large on my puny wrist !

Do you think it’s one of seiko best re-issues of one of their legendary divers ?

NOT FOR ME, I PREFER THE SLA025
    "A man of little significance"

The SLA033 is lovely. In terms of best re-issue ever that is of course subjective but in my opinion the Grand Seiko SBGR095 and the Seiko SLA025 are the absolute top I've owned. But of course that is just an opinion. I also had the SLA017 (3 times lol) but it never stayed long as I felt the SLA025 was a noticeable bump up in quality by comparison.

Master
    SLA017 is the nicest for me.
    Probably my favourite watch out my lot at present
    The SLA033 is very nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The SLA033 is probably the closest to the original reissue in terms of size and looks. And the best bezel action of the three.

From looks and specs alone I'd agree with the OP. For almost £4k I'd expect the finishing to be amazing.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 11th March 2020 at 16:17.

Master
    I think that it is a pity that they did not include "WATER XXXm RESIST, which appears on the original............. surprising really

Turtle's are certainly comfortable to wear

It's a great reissue, I think the SLA017 is also fantastic.

Master
    I had an SLA017 (sold to Hood -:) and now have the SLA033. Between the two of them, I'm not sure I could pick a favourite as they are both excellent watches. The SLA017 just felt very special and I like the fact it's a real 'WIS' or Seiko fan's watch, same with the Willard really. I was never keen on the SLA025 or the MarineMasters as I don't like that case shape ..
    I miss the SLA017 but I'm now tempted by the new SLA037 -:) It looks great and I now think the small increase in height would be a non issue..Shame it's not two or three grand cheaper but Seiko are not running a charity I guess..

ps - that was a good deal you got there OP. and don't worry about the wrist shot, they will always look big close up on a screen..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 11th March 2020 at 19:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I only found out recently that the movements in these are fully decorated with Tokyo stripes etc.

How many mm is it? Looks huge

I've had a good look at this one at my local AD and it's a great watch. I've really liked all the recent reissues but my personal favourite is the 1978 Golden Tuna reissue, which is absolutely superb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I had an SLA017 (sold to Hood -:) and now have the SLA033. Between the two of them, I'm not sure I could pick a favourite as they are both excellent watches. The SLA017 just felt very special and I like the fact it's a real 'WIS' or Seiko fan's watch, same with the Willard really. I was never keen on the SLA025 or the MarineMasters as I don't like that case shape ..
    I miss the SLA017 but I'm now tempted by the new SLA037 -:) It looks great and I now think the small increase in height would be a non issue..Shame it's not two or three grand cheaper but Seiko are not running a charity I guess..

ps - that was a good deal you got there OP. and don't worry about the wrist shot, they will always look big close up on a screen..
    Thanks , and yes your right ! Watches look so much bigger on the wrist in pics than in real life .

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I've had a good look at this one at my local AD and it's a great watch. I've really liked all the recent reissues but my personal favourite is the 1978 Golden Tuna reissue, which is absolutely superb.
    One on SC if you are looking :)

IS THIS THE BEST SEIKO RE-ISSUE EVER ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    One on SC if you are looking :)
    Yes I’ve seen it - well priced too mate . If I didn’t already have one I’’d have already pm’’d you. It’s one of my favourite watches - the look, solidity and build quality are all right up there.
    Last edited by 5avvy; 12th March 2020 at 01:15.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    Yes I’ve seen it - well priced too mate . If I didn’t already have one I’’d have already pm’’d you. It’s one of my favourite watches - the look, solidity and build quality are all right up there.
    Thanks mate!

Fantastic watch and right up there with the SLA017. I would love one of each to go with my SLA021 and make a perfect trio. However the new models look awfully similar for much less money so i do want to see them in the metal.

I don’t understand the SLA017 owes. I have owned 3 of them and they all had flimsy bezels. Case is too thick and made with unrepairable coating! Movement is brilliant though!

I don’t understand the SLA017 owes. I have owned 3 of them and they all had flimsy bezels. Case is too thick and made with unrepairable coating! Movement is brilliant though!
    I found the SLA025 a huge step up in quality

It was indeed, comparing to the 017 from the previous year. But still way too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I found the SLA025 a huge step up in quality
    The new blue one is very interesting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you seen the new trilogy box set for the 55 anniversary blue series? Would love the SLA035

Master

The one I got from Bry Nylon the bezel is spot on but I have worn another and his bezel did have a bit of a looser feel so I can understand the annoyance if they are not consistent.

Saw this in person today, it really is impressive.

Master
    Just to add a little to the thread,

SLA033 - this is a reissue of a reissue of the 6105-8110/9

I am surprised that Seiko have not reissued the slimmer 6105-8000/9, (after all they have reissued the 62MAS).
    IMHO the 8000/9 is a nicer watch to wear, being 41mm, (versus 44mm of the 8110), so it's less of a "slab," and feels just that bit "lighter" to wear and fits well on a (shorter), 19mm Uncle Seiko "waffle" strap....... in my opinion the Seiko rubber straps all felt too long and stiff to wear as "everyday"........Uncle Seiko now sells lovely straps for the 6105 and if you have a SLA033 I reckon you should think about their £30 strap and put the original Seiko one back in the box to keep it in good condition, (to replace will cost may 4 times the Uncle Seiko price)

The 8000/9 came directly after the 62MAS, and then came the 8110/9 with it's bigger and more robust case leading to the popular 6306/6309 diver, which (almost) shares it's case and size

Although the SLA033 is a lovely watch, if you can find an original 8110/9 or 8000/9 in good condition I would say that is a better buy. The originals are quite accurate and last for years and a service from one of the Forum's experts will only cost circa £150 all up and will bring the movement back to original accuracy.

just my opinion, I keep thinking about getting the SLA033, but always then see a Seiko vintage model which I feel is more attractive and certainly better value for money.

I think the slimmer 6105 homage is on the cards as I know some prefer the smaller case. That's all a matter of personal taste. I prefer the bigger case. I also prefer to feel a watch on my wrist. I loathe titanium as a result.

I bought two SLA033's after owning over a dozen original 6105's over the past 20 years. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 6105's but they were never the best built watch in the world at the prices I paid for them. When it comes to vintage collectable Seiko's, what is these days. They do have bags of character though.

The 6105 movement is a true workhorse but they rarely run very accurately and constantly accurately based on my ownership.

I sold this one with the original strap in its box plus it had a rather nice aftermarket 19mm waffle strap that takes the 19mm fat bars. I acquired it via a Canadian seller. I was great value. I can only agree with you on the Seiko rubber strap.

I prefer the SLA033 over a vintage 6105 but that's just me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I think the slimmer 6105 homage is on the cards as I know some prefer the smaller case. That's all a matter of personal taste. I prefer the bigger case. I also prefer to feel a watch on my wrist. I loathe titanium as a result.

I bought two SLA033's after owning over a dozen original 6105's over the past 20 years. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 6105's but they were never the best built watch in the world at the prices I paid for them. When it comes to vintage collectable Seiko's, what is these days. They do have bags of character though.

The 6105 movement is a true workhorse but they rarely run very accurately and constantly accurately based on my ownership.

I sold this one with the original strap in its box plus it had a rather nice aftermarket 19mm waffle strap that takes the 19mm fat bars. I acquired it via a Canadian seller. I was great value. I can only agree with you on the Seiko rubber strap.

I prefer the SLA033 over a vintage 6105 but that's just me.
    SLA033 - just been offered one at £2,650 - new in box

I should have bought it rather than stick money into the Stock market last week, as I have lost more than that on my share buys

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    SLA033 - just been offered one at £2,650 - new in box

I should have bought it rather than stick money into the Stock market last week, as I have lost more than that on my share buys
    That's a great price. Once sold out, prices will climb.

No idea, but considering the original was an affordable tool watch, the idea of a multi-thousand re-issue seems a bit incongruous to me...

I'd buy one of Eddie's instead!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No idea, but considering the original was an affordable tool watch, the idea of a multi-thousand re-issue seems a bit incongruous to me...

I'd buy one of Eddie's instead!

M
    Seiko are like most brands in the £3000+ range. Greedy.