closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you sitting tight or taking advantage of what could be opportunities...

Are you sitting tight or taking advantage of what could be opportunities...

I took the plunge on Monday morning to put the remainder of my ISA allowance into Lloyd's Banking group @41.65...

I have been sitting on the sidelines for sometime watching the price steadily decline

It offers a pretty decent Dividend in current times and hopefully not too much downside (famous last words)..

be interested to hear of any others taking advantage of troubled times or are you hoping for further falls..
    Last edited by SteveM112; 11th March 2020 at 13:20.

I thought exactly the same thing with Lloyds, certainlygoing to be some money to be made for the speculative buyer/seller

If the schools get closed and I’m grounded then I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity to spend more time with the family.

Master
    I don't think you will regret that trade in the long run, but i'm currently sitting tight.
    I have a number of things, I'm looking at, but think this COVID 19 could get a while lot worse, so at the moment keeping my powder dry.

Some very juicy dividends out there at the moment.
    Some of the Oil majors must be on ca 10/11% per cent dividends but given the oil price war that the Saudis and Russians are involved in you'd be a brave man to add money at the moment and I'd prefer to have a little more visiiblity on what damage COVID 19 might eventually do to companies ability to maintain those dividends.

Two words. Northern Rock.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    I filled my SIPP allowance last week, didn't quite catch the bottom but happy to have bought 8% down off highs at least. If things continue south I will likely move forward ISA and SIPP purchases to the start of the new tax year rather than later.

Still waiting for the market to hit bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Hope you don’t mind me asking: are you staying in cash or keeping in defensive investments (bonds etc.)

I understand if you don’t want to say.

Every cloud eh?

More about looking for an umbrella really.

Craftsman
    FTSE is at 5876, perhaps there is more to go over the coming weeks, but i could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Can you let us know on here when it’s at the bottom please?

Master

Cool

We had 3,500 in March 2003 and March 2009 and 5,700 in February 2016. I'm really good at telling people what happened - less good at forecasting!

Master
    Me too, bought more gold today. Rest in cash ready for when the US starts recovery from the potentially impending storm.

I'm in both, actually.

Switched my kids junior isa to a FSTE100 tracker. At 9% off from the January as a longer term view I don’t think you can far wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Can you let us know on here when it’s at the bottom please?
    If I could do that, I'd be a f**king billionaire!

Read a lot of respected and varied financial sources.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m buying ...soon ...

I thought bonds were up at the moment?

Master
    Having just sold my business I am worried that the proceeds are sat in a bank account (Lloyds).

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Having just sold my business I am worried that the proceeds are sat in a bank account (Lloyds).
    Deposits are protected up to £85k per PRA-authorised bank in the UK. The more banks you spread your money around in, the better protected you are.

Depends how much your business sold for of course :).

Master
    If I could do that, I'd be a f**king billionaire!

Read a lot of respected and varied financial sources.
    😂👍🏻

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Deposits are protected up to £85k per PRA-authorised bank in the UK. The more banks you spread your money around in, the better protected you are.

I am sure the banks will be fine, but of course you could consider spreading across other banks to ensure you are under £85k at each, if you do have more than that in one account.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

This is why the banks will be bailed out as many businesses will have many times 85k in their bank.

As a UK bank Lloyds cash should be safe - would be the end of many businesses if Lloyds allowed to fail.

It's looking like an excellent time to invest in Nuka Cola bottle caps.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    We had 3,500 in March 2003 and March 2009 and 5,700 in February 2016. I'm really good at telling people what happened - less good at forecasting!
    I wish we had a Like button on this forum..

Craftsman
    Are we at rock bottom now? 5546, or more to go. Wow 5% drop

We are not yet bottomed out. Until yesterday we were only testing 1500 people a day and the UK had taken no major steps toward mass scale quarantine or restrictions on gatherings like other countries.

Not because we aren’t effected but because we are not picking up cases to the same extent. It is in no ones interests to pick up more cases. We can’t treat most of them anyway so why bother!?

From today the gov will test more people (up to 10k a day) so we will pick up more cases. This will appear to get a lot worse before (with some luck) spring and summer bring some reprieve...

I would not be making any big financial decisions now or in the next 4-6 weeks at least

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Are we at rock bottom now? 5546, or more to go. Wow 5% drop

I would say no and possibly a long way to go, if CV breaks in the UK and US at half the contagion of Italy then the markets could plunder the abyss.

Lloyd's shares which opened this thread have now dropped to 39.37p today, it could go back into the 20's and that's the last time I purchased any of their shares!

Further to go - however unlike the 2008 financial crisis this bear market should be relatively short lived. I doubt anyone buying at current valuations would be disappointed by returns in 24 months time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Further to go - however unlike the 2008 financial crisis this bear market should be relatively short lived. I doubt anyone buying at current valuations would be disappointed by returns in 24 months time.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/e...rus/index.html

Year kinda like what they said

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Switched my kids junior isa to a FSTE100 tracker. At 9% off from the January as a longer term view I don’t think you can far wrong.
    Good call.

I’ve got about £12k in each of my kids accounts and given they don’t need the money for a while, I think I’ll follow your lead shortly - after the really bad new stops coming.

Craftsman
    Anyone got any thoughts on the housing market? We’re in the process of selling and have found somewhere to buy but not sure carrying on is a great shout if CV is going to hit financial markets?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Which way do you think think it will move. Safe asset when stocks tumble.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Good call.

I’ve got about £12k in each of my kids accounts and given they don’t need the money for a while, I think I’ll follow your lead shortly - after the really bad new stops coming.
    Sit tight for a while until it floors America, OPEC cut production and/or the UK isolates from the EU... All these factors will determine the outcome.

Blog Entries
    This seems like a bonkers time to even consider investing in anything atm. I've liquidated quite a few of my investments and going to sit on cash for the foreseeable. If anyone thinks we are at or near the bottom is in for a sharp shock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    This seems like a bonkers time to even consider investing in anything atm. I've liquidated quite a few of my investments and going to sit on cash for the foreseeable. If anyone thinks we are at or near the bottom is in for a sharp shock.
    This type of thinking usually signifies the bottom to be fair!

FTSE 100 just closed down nearly 11% today. The Dow closed 10% down. This isn't the time to be calling the bottom of anything. We are only just entering the bear market.

In the next few weeks housing will be next and potentially a quite a few probate sales offered after in the months ahead.

I'm thinking about cancelling year's employee shares and starting again. I'll lose a year but the difference of this year's buy price could be enough to make it worthwhile on a 3 year scheme.

National Grid is still better than it has generally been for the last 2 years.

Mainly because there was a big hike between Sept 2019 and end of Feb 2020 but now it seems to be feeling the effects and dropping hard.

I will get myself a lot of those because post corona nonsense it will bounce back.

The problem is how much will it fall ? That is the million dollar question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    This type of thinking usually signifies the bottom to be fair!
    We'll see

If the Dow drops 5.6% tomorrow it will go below 20k. The Dow going below 20k will scare a lot of people more than the drop from 29k to where we are now. 18k isn't crazy given where we currently are.

and CV has hardly gotten warmed up in the USA yet...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    and CV has hardly gotten warmed up in the USA yet...
    That's the trigger for me, even though the 100 is likely to open 'up' this morning.

Just like any other asset bubble, Rolex is next for the chop. LVs, batmans, SDs etc. will all start to head back towards list. It may take a few months but it’ll happen. It’ll be interesting to watch SC.

On the way up Rolex prices have tracked the Dow Jones, rocketing up after 2016. Let’s see what happens when the Dow Jones tanks

Blog Entries
    Just like any other asset bubble, Rolex is next for the chop. LVs, batmans, SDs etc. will all start to head back towards list. It may take a few months but it’ll happen. It’ll be interesting to watch SC.

On the way up Rolex prices have tracked the Dow Jones, rocketing up after 2016. Let’s see what happens when the Dow Jones tanks
    how dare you talk about watches on a watch forum!

Blog Entries

I see WoS are down 5.5% on the open this morning and down to ~250 GBX after a high of almost 400 GBX a month of so ago. Luxury goods can't be a high priority in times like this so will be interested to track how this goes. I said some time back, i've been on waiting lists for various things for 3 odd years without a single call or offer to purchase so if I soon get the call I know the back end has completely fallen out of the market.

True, but I think the usual in demand vintage watches will hold up well due to collectors and of course not being made anymore, they are an enjoyable investment for many people.

Saying that, these are unprecedented times so if your cash rich and want something vintage you may well get a desperate seller.

I’m going in with some shares but like others here I feel it’s got a way to go, the US is handling this virus in a very lazy lackadaisical way, mainly due to their health system, if it hits the US really hard markets across the globe with fall a lot further..

Some watches will hold up to certain degrees but once in recession 70% of the buyers will be gone. Speculators will be long gone. Only the truly wealthy who are unaffected by any recession will still be about and they won't be buying dlfull gold skydwellers just to get on the list for a pepsi. Likewise they won't be buying a stainless steel white Daytona for north of £20k or a Pepsi for £14k. Think we can all agree that's done.

Will be interesting to see how quiet the incoming thread is over the next few months and the the types of models being bought.