closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder refusing to offer without proof of purchase

Craftsman

Watchfinder refusing to offer without proof of purchase

Morning All,

Twice now, I've sent details of a watch I'd like to sell off to Watchfinder and they refuse to make an offer without the original proof of purchase.

No doubt we all have a watch or two in our collection that we've obtained through the forum where the original proof of purchase is long gone, so is anyone else having this issue?

Obviously, they're free to decline to quote, but I can't believe for one minute that every watch they buy in is accompanied with proof of purchase.

Mine always have full box and papers.
    Last edited by MartC; 12th March 2020 at 13:06.

I had the same thing on a DSOTM over Christmas.

Thank you for your enquiry to sell your watch.

Please can you confirm whether you have the original receipt for your watch or whether this could be obtained from the place of purchase.

If you are unable to do so, please can you provide more information on where the watch was purchased.

We look forward to receiving your response at your earliest convenience, upon receipt of this information we will be in contact as soon as possible.
    I replied asking what the hell which went unanswered and 3 weeks later had an offer from them by which time it had sold on SC.

Master
    https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

"Since 2014, Malick had sold these two companies 535 watches totalling £1.2 million. The searches showed 56 were stolen, and Malick had been paid £180,000 for their sale."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I had the same thing on a DSOTM over Christmas.
    I replied asking what the hell which went unanswered and 3 weeks later had an offer from them by which time it had sold on SC.
    Funnily enough, mine is a DSOTM also.

I phoned them to get a bit more info behind it as its useful to know for future.

Its a recent change. They say for watches under 2 years old, they almost certainly need proof of purchase and up to 4 years its still mostly required. The 4 year rule sounded slightly more vague.

Well, mines under two years old, so it wont be sent there!

Hope this info helps others.

just try chronext.

Odd, I’ve had quotes from them without PoP. Very recently too and with watches < 2 years old.

I go to a specific contact though who I’ve dealt with many times in the past. May be the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Odd, I’ve had quotes from them without PoP. Very recently too and with watches < 2 years old.

I go to a specific contact though who I’ve dealt with many times in the past. May be the difference.
    Just to add, their quotes have been very poor recently.

Master
    I think it’s a good idea, least they are seeing to be carrying out due diligence to a point-

It’s all part of good housekeeping and can add significant value to a watch to keep the original purchase receipt with the piece..
    An insurance company most likely would insist on evidence of purchase if ever you needed to make claim..
    It’s not easy for private individuals to sell high value items and any provenance you may have with serial number on the purchase receipt will help put the potential buyers mind at rest..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

"Since 2014, Malick had sold these two companies 535 watches totalling £1.2 million. The searches showed 56 were stolen, and Malick had been paid £180,000 for their sale."
    Think the answer will be here.

My insurance company required the original proof of purchase for something I had got off SC. Fortunately the seller was charming enough to dig it out for me, saving the £££ I would have had to have spent on a valuation. I think we need to get into the habit of expecting to give and receive these bits of original paperwork as a necessity, not just as a nice thing to have.

Master
    Maybe they have lots of stock......a la Panerai fire sale..?

Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Morning All,

Twice now, I've sent details of a watch I'd like to sell off to Watchfinder and they refuse to make an offer without the original proof of purchase.

No doubt we all have a watch or two in our collection that we've obtained through the forum where the original proof of purchase is long gone, so is anyone lese having this issue?

Obviously, they're free to decline to quote, but I can't believe for one minute that every watch they buy in is accompanied with proof of purchase.

Mine always have full box and papers.
    By proof of purchase do they mean original sales receipt? Proof of purchase can be anything really, like a bank or credit card statement. If you bought it from the forum, your proof of purchase is the correspondence with the seller and transfer details however you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    It’s all part of good housekeeping and can add significant value to a watch to keep the original purchase receipt with the piece..
    An insurance company most likely would insist on evidence of purchase if ever you needed to make claim..
    It’s not easy for private individuals to sell high value items and any provenance you may have with serial number on the purchase receipt will help put the potential buyers mind at rest..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never had any experience of a purchase receipt adding significant value to the watch. Box and papers definitely but not proof of purchase. Perhaps it would make it more saleable but not worth more in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    By proof of purchase do they mean original sales receipt? Proof of purchase can be anything really, like a bank or credit card statement. If you bought it from the forum, your proof of purchase is the correspondence with the seller and transfer details however you paid.
    They only mentioned sales receipt or copy of. No mention of just a copy of a transaction.

I'm not saying the practice is wrong, was more just to inform others and get their experiences. Its entirely their call if they wish to purchase or not. There are other means to sell, or trade available.

I won't worry about there offers are shocking now £5600 to £5850 for 2018 GMT master ceramic on Monday

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I won't worry about there offers are shocking now £5600 to £5850 for 2018 GMT master ceramic on Monday

Wow that’s pretty awful, even for WF who’ve never recently failed to offer me an insulting amount of cash for anything! I was on the fence about selling a DJ36 and my SMP300 to them, but I get kicked in the balls most days at work - I don’t think I’ll invite the same from WF if I get a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Wow that’s pretty awful, even for WF who’ve never recently failed to offer me an insulting amount of cash for anything! I was on the fence about selling a DJ36 and my SMP300 to them, but I get kicked in the balls most days at work - I don’t think I’ll invite the same from WF if I get a choice.
    Get a quote you never know

Craftsman

Stock

I am surprised that they manage to acquire any new stock with the level of offers they have been starting to put out to sellers since the Richemont takeover. WF might be an easy one stop shop but sellers can in no way feel they are getting a good deal but if sellers are willing to lose thousands of pounds on sales or trade in with them, that is their choice but looking at the amount of stock that is not shifting at the ludicrous prices then at least buyers are looking elsewhere.

Craftsman

Ended

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

At least with WF it’s only a kick in the balls, with the likes of Watch Club and Blowers it’s more of a rear ending.

Master

Yes, seems they do try low offers.
    One on my shopping list ;)