closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hypothetical Question

Craftsman

Hypothetical Question

So, a ‘friend’ of mine bought a watch from SC (for RRP) when it first came out at the end of 2018 (as far as I am aware they’re still not the easiest to get hold of).

After three weeks it went back for what turned out to be a common fault. It took the manufacturer four months to finally replace the entire movement under warranty and the watch was returned to my ‘friend’ in April 2019.

Fast forward to February this year and the same fault rears it’s ugly head again. A mere 10 months since the new movement was fitted and, according to the manufacturer they had solved the issue. The watch went back and, after a week, a phone call from the manufacturer offering a brand new watch in a like to like swap.

My ‘friend’s’ question is this: would you be happy with this? If not what would you do?

A refund isn’t an option as the watch was a SC purchase by another forum member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be happy with a brand new watch like for like. Sure, why not?

Master
    Have i got this right?

1. 2 year old worn second hand watch
    2. Manufacturer can't fix under warranty
    3. Offers like for like brand new replacement

IMO your 'friend' would be stupid not to take it.

1. brand new watch
    2. full new warranty
    3. for the cost of the original second hand watch

I repeat IMO your 'friend' would be stupid not to take it.

Was it a tudor gmt by any chance? After the date sticking issue being fixed,people are still finding the fault reappearing.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Have i got this right?

1. 2 year old worn second hand watch
    2. Manufacturer can't fix under warranty
    3. Offers like for like brand new replacement

IMO your 'friend' would be stupid not to take it.

1. brand new watch
    2. full new warranty
    3. for the cost of the original second hand watch

I repeat IMO your 'friend' would be stupid not to take it.
    15 month old watch. Was brand new when purchased from SC (2 weeks old still stickered, boxed and not worn). Of those 15 months it has been back from repair twice for a total of just over 4 months.

The issue that was never an issue and then was a resolved issue is back and just as bad as it always has been.

Master
    You can't get a refund, and (I'm assuming) you don't want a broken watch. I don't see why this question is being asked? If you're peeved with the manufacturer, and I wouldn't blame you, then take the new watch and sell it here.

Playing Devil's Advocate, my question to you would be "Why would you not take a deal that good?".

Like Hammond, I think your question is quite strange. What's a better alternative?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    You can't get a refund, and (I'm assuming) you don't want a broken watch. I don't see why this question is being asked? If you're peeved with the manufacturer, and I wouldn't blame you, then take the new watch and sell it here.
    But please let us know what watch it is so we can avoid

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But please let us know what watch it is so we can avoid
    My bet is on a Tudor GMT as mentioned above but not confirmed yet.

Maybe see if they'll give you a BB58 on bracelet instead.

Accept the new watch, however I'd be concerned as to if the fault would reappear again. If it's a design fault with the movement that hasn't been rectified then there's a high possibility of a repeat failure, what will the manufacturer do then?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Accept the new watch, however I'd be concerned as to if the fault would reappear again. If it's a design fault with the movement that hasn't been rectified then there's a high possibility of a repeat failure, what will the manufacturer do then?
    This is my friends concern. It gets replaced and then in another 6/8/10 months same thing again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    This is my friends concern. It gets replaced and then in another 6/8/10 months same thing again!

May be your friend can ask for another model in the same price range or add too it?

Master
    If your friend is a member here why is he not asking himself? Taking the new watch and selling it immediately will entirely resolve his concerns about it happening again in 6 months.

Master
    So as far as I can see

Option 1, fully working watch
    Option 2 Broken watch for nostalgia

I can see why this is such a hard decision.

Master
    Slightly odd thread, but perhaps a nice way to vent frustration.

To answer your OP, no I wouldn't be happy that a watch I had bought pretty much new was out of action for so long.

But I would be happy with the manufacturer offering a replacement new watch with warranty. Don't think they can do much more than that at this stage. Just consider yourself lucky they are not asking you for proof of purchase!

Craftsman
    I was more thinking along the lines of asking for something else in exchange as I’m not convinced this watch won’t now be eternally with its problems.

Master
    I was more thinking along the lines of asking for something else in exchange as I’m not convinced this watch won’t now be eternally with its problems.
    I think yo would have a good case if you spoke to them about it.

Craftsman
    Ask the AD if you could exchange it for something else as you don't have anything to lose but I doubt they will allow it. Other option would be to accept the brand new watch and then sell it and but something you do want. The date problem is well known on Tudor GMTs so doubt those who want one would be deterred by you offering for sale a brand new watch irrespective of how you acquired the new watch ie as a warranty replacement.

1) Accept new for old replacement watch.

2) Keep new replacement watch all stickered up.

3) Sell new replacement watch ASAP.

4) Buy reliable watch.

5) Relax and enjoy new watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    1) Accept new for old replacement watch.

2) Keep new replacement watch all stickered up.

3) Sell new replacement watch ASAP.

4) Buy reliable watch.

5) Relax and enjoy new watch.
    Sounds like a very good plan!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Do bear in mind the warranty is against the watch - not linked to the buyer. If it has the correct warranty check with CAB or check https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...unds-exchange/

Be madness not to accept the offer.

Master
    Take the deal and then at least you have some options.

Craftsman
    Maybe I didn’t fully explain in the first post. Just having the old broken watch back was never an option!

It’s good that they’ve offered a like for like replacement, what I meant by ‘would you be happy with this’ was more - would you want the same model watch back after it had caused you so much grief in a relatively short space of time.

I guess looking for advice / opinion / similar experience. I didn’t know if they’d be likely to even entertain swapping for a different model etc.

In the end, I asked this very question and they replied with a firm “NO”. So that answered that - I’ll get a replacement in around a week once I send the original box and warranty card back to them.

Then I guess I decide what to do. Keep it and hope that this time they actually have fixed it or put it up for sale / trade.

Master
    In the end, I asked this very question and they replied with a firm “NO”. So that answered that - I’ll get a replacement in around a week once I send the original box and warranty card back to them.

Then I guess I decide what to do. Keep it and hope that this time they actually have fixed it or put it up for sale / trade.
    So turns out you are the ‘friend’?

Random thread indeed.

If you are dealing with a brand that stands by its products, then what’s the problem. A little hassle and some of your time. Ask for a freebie/free service, strap / anything to make up for the issues you’ve encountered - they might not, but they might. Who knows.

Even if an issues was known and it arises again. Will they sort it? If so, again there is little issue for me, but some at that point would start to demand a refund and suggest the model is not of an acceptable quality to them, as demonstrated by the issues encountered.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    And the brand is???

Craftsman

I would take the watch and sell if you are unhappy. You could always ask for them to give you something different but I’d be surprised if they did.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Yikes!

Whilst getting a new watch to replace an old one seems like a pretty good deal.

I'd be very worried about the capacity of the brand to support its movement repair if they are offering a straight up replacement this soon.

I mean this thing is supposed to last for decades with a regular service, but it couldnt even make it 2 years without needing to be replaced?

If it is a Tudor, that's a massive concern for when your watch goes out of warranty, and theirs isnt a particularly long one anyway... 'sorry customer, this movement was poorly made and is buggered, but pony up a grand or two and we'll completely replace it with a newer version!'

Yikes!

Blog Entries
    Maybe I didn’t fully explain in the first post. Just having the old broken watch back was never an option!

It’s good that they’ve offered a like for like replacement, what I meant by ‘would you be happy with this’ was more - would you want the same model watch back after it had caused you so much grief in a relatively short space of time.

I guess looking for advice / opinion / similar experience. I didn’t know if they’d be likely to even entertain swapping for a different model etc.

Ive dealt with Breitling on a similar basis - they ended up saying - pick anything up to the same value from our range (after 2 repair attempts). So what brand are you talking about - Tudor GMT by any chance? As said before, check your consumer rights you should be able to get your money back if not fit for purpose and one repair.. It depends if you were the original purchaser - if not the original buyer shovel with good will buy it back from you as you bought it on SC - but they are not obliged to.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product

(If you do sell it on SC I suggest you make full disclosure on any SC post)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th March 2020 at 14:33.