closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New to watch collecting and to TZ-UK

Apprentice

New to watch collecting and to TZ-UK

Morning all.

Just a friendly greeting from this newbie to the world of watches.

I joined recently because I'm getting married soon, and my gift is going to be the treat I've always wanted - a premium watch. I also figured it's a great heirloom to pass on to future generations at this turning point of my life. And, I'll really value something well made that I can enjoy every day.

Looking at what's out there given my budget, I like the look of the grey, Tag Heuer Formula 1 range. Something like this:

https://imgur.com/2Qev0pX

I can't decide chrono or not. Some decisions are nice to have to make.

I've had a browse of the forums, but wondered if there's any recommended reading to inform this special first purchase and set me on my way down the likely rabbit hole of collecting? :)

Any specific posts on best places to purchase would be most appreciated too, as it's unlikely our friends on the high street are the best deal or most well informed.

Kind regards
    Dan.

Hello and welcome! :)

Master
    Hi. I'm a big Tag fan but be aware they have a shocking depreciation. Have a look for the model in strong used condition. Chances are high you'll get it around 50-60% of RRP.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hello, and welcome.

My advice is to find a watch you like, which it looks like you have with the Tag Formula 1, and ask around. You'll get lots of infomation on it.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can’t help you with the best place to buy a TAG but best of luck with it. My only advice is to take your time to read up and ask around but you are already doing that.

Your image embedding didn’t quite work so I took the liberty of posting it again below.

I use Imgur as do many and it’s great, but the app can be misleading when you want to share an image. Don’t use the share option that is next to ‘Fave’. Instead tap on your image so you only have one option like this:

If you tap on that and copy the link you will get a link ending in .jpg which is the one you want to embed.

Good morning and welcome Dan.

I’m no expert on Tag. In fact, I’m no expert at all! Just a watch fan in general, who fell down the same rabbit hole you refer to a little while ago. Beware, it’s a very deep hole, that is somewhat challenging to exit!

The only real advice I can give you has already been made. Do your research and be very aware that certain brands depreciate like a brand new car, sometimes even more. Tag seem to be one of those. It shouldn’t and wouldn’t stop me buying one, just get the best possible price you can. Or buy used and let someone else take that initial hit.

Anyway, welcome once again to the madhouse. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

Your image embedding didn’t quite work so I took the liberty of posting it again below.

Much obliged. I don’t think I could have made a more newbie error!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Hi. I'm a big Tag fan but be aware they have a shocking depreciation. Have a look for the model in strong used condition.
    That’s really interesting and not something I’d considered.

What’s the used market like? Any pitfalls to be aware of? (And any credible sellers?)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Anyway, welcome once again to the madhouse. Have fun!
    I am looking forward to the madness, cheers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_m2k View Post

What’s the used market like? Any pitfalls to be aware of? (And any credible sellers?)
    Sadly, yes. eBay is the biggest source of used but comes with risks. However, it also has decent built in guarantees regards returns.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    A wedding watch is a keeper so stay away from anything fashion oriented. Go for a classic design that you can see yourself wearing many years ahead.

This is my wedding watch bought 22 years ago.

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]

Master
    Welcome!

TAG is a good watch, but do hang around and look at lots of watches. You could come across something unusual or obscure that really ticks your boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>][/QUOTE]

That is VERY nice...

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum! Lovely watch .. be sure to ask for discount on a tag heuer I’m sure the guys on here will assist you on a percentage off to aim for !
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Hello and welcome

the grey formula one doesn’t look bad at all for the price imo 

You can try ebay aswell, I was about to get a way211a.fc6362 the other day,practically new watch, for silly money (765) they snatched it off me literally the last seconds and was sold for a £785.

What I learned from that exprerience is always set a higher bid price than your last bid,because there will be bids only seconds before the item ends,and you will have no time to response..

Blog Entries
    Welcome! If you have a budget up to say £2K there are quite a few watches possible. You could take a look at a reseller site, for example www.watches.co.uk or www.watchfinder.co.uk and with a bit of looking there are slide bars for how much you want to spend - order view by pricing low to high

buying from a reseller does give you some guarantee and warranty if that is a concern buying second hand.

you should get some inspiration! Something to consider - at about £2.5K

Unfortunately you will inevitably find something you really like just a bit more than you budget for - such is this game! Best of luck.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th March 2020 at 11:19.

Master
    Welcome,
    If you can stretch your budget to £2.7K, I would be looking at a Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight - a lot of watch for the money & a great one watch solution.
    Search for BB58 on the forum - you will find plenty of info, pics & very satisfied owners!
    Enjoy your new hobby / addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    A wedding watch is a keeper so stay away from anything fashion oriented. Go for a classic design that you can see yourself wearing many years ahead.

This is my wedding watch bought 22 years ago.
    Great advice there and a nice watch, too.

When I got married a few years ago I had a Tag Chrono Formula 1 and I chose not to wear it and went watchless. Didn't seem timeless and looked like the watch a dad buys his son when he's too young for something which costs "real money" so I didn't want to be wearing it in any pictures.

There are so many great watches out there and you don't have to spend huge amounts of money for something worth keeping. Tag do have some fantastic watches for the price (used, not new) and the Formula One range certainly looks better now than it did then. Just don't get caught out with a fashion watch.

Welcome to the forum, Dan - and a really interesting first enquiry.

Although others on the forum will disagree, there is some feeling that some Tag Heuer watches are very mid-market, often bought by people who really don't understand watches and are an entry level into good watches. I personally wouldn't buy something like the Formula 1 in your photo as I think it would date quickly and you may end up wishing you had made a different choice (and of course because it's going to be bought as your wedding watch then you'll be stuck with it as you almost certainly wouldn't feel you could sell it!).

By the way, the watch in your photo is also seriously over-priced at £1,700 - Watches of Switzerland list it at £1,500!

You don't actually say what your budget is, but if we assume for a moment that it's close to £2k, then that opens up a really interesting range of possibilities if you're buying new, including watches from:
    Longines
    Oris
    Sinn
    Damasko
    Hamilton
    Certina
    Rado
    Nomos
    Muehle-Glashutte

...to name but a few!

Good luck with the research and don't hesitate to pick the brains of the good folk here...

Simon

Oh, and yes, this is a very slippery slope you're on!
    Last edited by mycroft; 10th March 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Spelling!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, and the sickness known as watch collecting!

If I were you I wouldn't go for the chrono version of the Tag, the dials can seem cluttered and the plainer dial looks much 'classier' in my opinion. Also servicing will be easier and cheaper on the non-chrono version in the future if it's a long time keeper. The Tag Carrera or Carrera Twin Time would be more suitable to my taste but have a good look around at other makes as well before deciding.
    Check out some of the online prices for them and perhaps ask in a local dealers about discounts on the model you like.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hey Dan welcome and congratulations on Your upcoming nuptials enjoy these forums there's a lot of knowledge amongst the contributors.

Master
    Welcome aboard, the journey starts here.
    There are 2 schools of thought on here.
    ONLY BUY WATCHES THAT APPRECIATE
    And then there's me,
    Buy watches you like watches you want to wear, watches that bring you joy. Maybe watches that spark conversations with strangers.
    I could have spent £30k on three Rolexes and made £20k, but I spent £30k on 300 watches I love and have lost a fortune.
    But then my car is worth less than I paid, my bike is worth less than I paid, my telly is worth less than I paid, but damn I have enjoyed every one of them.

Master

A pitfall would be buying any watch off Ebay without expert advice.
    I like that Anthracite F1 you have btw and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RD200; 10th March 2020 at 14:02.

Much obliged. I don’t think I could have made a more newbie error!
    Members of many years standing seem to have similar problems sometimes, don’t sweat it.

Journeyman
    Hi Dan,

Welcome to our (expensive) little world. Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials, and I hope you've found a lady who is supportive and understanding – you'll need her to be given the hole you've just intentionally thrown yourself down!

My two cents – like several others here, I worry that your affinity towards the Tag wouldn't endure once you educate and engross yourself more deeply in this hobby. Your wedding/heirloom watch will be one out of all your eventual (inevitable) collection that you will be obliged to keep, so imo it needs to be both A) timeless and B) eminently versatile – ie something you could wear with a three-piece or jeans/t-shirt. I'm not convinced the Tag would be either A or B.

I would take a good look at the offerings from the brands suggested above, and perhaps even more importantly, try on as many watches as you can. As everyone on here will tell you, it doesn't matter how much you like a watch based on pictures, you need to see and feel it on your wrist to know whether it might be the one for you. Hopefully then you might find something that you like that also satisfies both A and B above (another vote for the Black Bay 58 here). You can always buy the Tag at a later date when it won't instantly be loaded with such important sentiment!

My final bit of advice would be to consider all the opinions you get in this thread, but in the end go with whatever feels right to you – watches are highly subjective and ultimately this will be the most important watch you buy in your life, so make sure you love it just as much as your fiancee!

Joe
    Last edited by JoeyTudor; 10th March 2020 at 14:27.

Master
    Having a look in the sales section of any watch forum would be preferable to Ebay in my opinion as I know from experience.
    I second the BB58 too, if you can stretch to £2720 on the bracelet.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Dan
    I'll have a bet with you that you don't end up with a Formula 1, nice as they are.
    I've had a Tag and it served me well by the way but log on here on Friday some time and check out the "Friday thread" in watch talk, it will open you mind up to all sorts of possibilities.
    Remember for £2k you are in used Omega, Tudor and Breitling territory.

Journeyman
    Oh, and to save falling for a common noob mistake – whatever you end up going for, ALWAYS BUY ON BRACELET!

I wore a Tag on my wedding. That’s long gone. Unfortunately the wife has stuck around.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The BB58 is a good shout.

If I had to go down to one watch it would be that.

That's a nice piece, I have the white face grande date version which is 44mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great advice there and a nice watch, too.

When I got married a few years ago I had a Tag Chrono Formula 1 and I chose not to wear it and went watchless. Didn't seem timeless and looked like the watch a dad buys his son when he's too young for something which costs "real money" so I didn't want to be wearing it in any pictures.

There are so many great watches out there and you don't have to spend huge amounts of money for something worth keeping. Tag do have some fantastic watches for the price (used, not new) and the Formula One range certainly looks better now than it did then. Just don't get caught out with a fashion watch.
    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0$T View Post
    That's a nice piece, I have the white face grande date version which is 44mm
    Thank you but it's long gone now. Went on eBay before I signed up here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome onboard

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome Dan.
    As said before, do your homework before you buy.
    Pick a model you like and then shop around for a good price. You should get a nice chunk off the price on a new Tag. Just don't be afraid to ask for it!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk