closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16600 bezel pip

Journeyman

16600 bezel pip

Hi All,

I’m looking to purchase a 16600 and I’ve seen two I’m potentially interested in.

The first is a 1998 with the ‘Swiss-T’ markings. The second is a 1999 with the ‘Swiss’ markings.

I’m leaning towards the 1998 as it’s comes with B+P, but have a question about the bezel pip, as it’s colour/shade seems slightly off.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Does the pip look a little too yellow?
    Last edited by Mikelancs; 9th March 2020 at 09:14.

FTFY

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    FTFY

Thanks! How do you manage to get that size? (If that’s not too personal for this time of day!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
    Thanks! How do you manage to get that size? (If that’s not too personal for this time of day!)
    I just went into the Imgur link on my phone, downloaded the pic and uploaded through Tapatalk. Left the image size as 'original'. Unless the image ends in .jpg the pic won't show.

The bezel pip has aged, its a tritium pip so as it ages they fade to that colour, its quite desirable and shows its original. Most get swapped out at service.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I just went into the Imgur link on my phone, downloaded the pic and uploaded through Tapatalk. Left the image size as 'original'. Unless the image ends in .jpg the pic won't show.
    Thanks for the tip - I’ll download the Tapatalk app, sounds a bit easier that way!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The bezel pip has aged, its a tritium pip so as it ages they fade to that colour, its quite desirable and shows its original. Most get swapped out at service.
    That’s great, thanks for the info. I have seen a few of the same year which look much more white, so that explains it!

In terms of value, does the £6-6.5 ballpark sound reasonable? I have missed the boat a little, as a couple of years or so back they were available under the £5k mark.

Thanks
    Mike

16600 bezel pip

Looks like it’s aged beautifully..
    you can’t keep comparing the market now to what is was two years ago..
    4 years ago you could buy any GMT you wanted for £4K very different now..
    I would say it’s priced about right in today’s market... condition and originality are everything..

For me this is still where the value is in today’s market..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SteveM112; 9th March 2020 at 10:07.

As Steve says, with B&P that’s about right I think.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    True but the dial doesn’t show any aging. There can be some incongruity in aging but this is out of proportion. May be a service dial and hands?

Maybe it’s just a nice original well looked after piece.. that hasn’t been abused..

I have one that has never been on the wrist or seen the light of day put away.. and the pip has discoloured/aged exactly the same..

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    True but the dial doesn’t show any aging. There can be some incongruity in aging but this is out of proportion. May be a service dial and hands?
    I was going to mention that, but decided not to, the one I have has a darker pip to the dial and hands which are still quite white, the dial and hands are original to the watch. Without the service history its hard to know.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    If it has had a service dial and hands, does this alter the value somewhat? Potential for resale in future etc?

I guess in an ideal world it would be best if it was all fully original, but ultimately if it was to go into Rolex for servicing in future they’d likely change Tritium to super-luminova anyway?

If it has had a service dial and hands, does this alter the value somewhat? Potential for resale in future etc?

I guess in an ideal world it would be best if it was all fully original, but ultimately if it was to go into Rolex for servicing in future they’d likely change Tritium to super-luminova anyway?
    I don’t believe at that price point it would make any difference at all..
    it already seems reasonably priced for what it is but impossible to tell what condition it is or what has been changed over the years or not from a photo..
    Collectors would insist on wanting a full set as it left the factory with all accessories serial numbered hang tags tools etc etc and these are commanding top money £10K+..

You can specify you want to keep the dial and hands as is.
    It may be a service set, it may not, if it has been to Rolex for servicing in the past and had that done, you may be able to find out if it ever went back again.
    One of the important things ( maybe just me though ) for service dials and hands is if they match, I can't stand seeing old hands on new dials and vice versa.
    Cheers..
    Jase

"Bezel pip"?

I thought it was called "bezel pearl".

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    "Bezel pip"?

I thought it was called "bezel pearl".
    I’ve always called it a “pip” I’m sure I’ve heard it called that before? Maybe I’m going mad (which is entirely possible!)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I’m still debating the deal, will update you ASAP!

Isn't a Rolex service dial marked "Swiss" not "Swiss - T<25"? I used to have a 1999 Sea Dweller that had a "Swiss" marked dial which was original for late U or A serial watches. I read that "Swiss" on any other serial marks it as being a service replacement.

My 14060 from 96 has done the same with the bezel pip, personally I think the T-25 tritium Seadwellers/Submariners will be worth more that the luminova watches in a few years, they just age better - in my opinion of course. That's an original dial and I imagine handset but only a torch will tell you if they are both tritium as they should be more or less dead of any glow now or equally glow and lose any glow.

One of the reasons for the discolouring of tritium is often thought to be moisture, the bezel pip is out in the open where as the dial and hands are sealed against the elements and often stay white for longer, I'm waiting for my 14060 to turn a nice vintage patina but it hasn't happened yet..

Last edited by murkeywaters; 10th March 2020 at 11:22.