closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer price increase

Craftsman

Tag Heuer price increase

Not big news but it would appear that Tag has put up prices by around 5%. Unsure if it is across all models but Monaco’s have gone from £4795 to £5050 for the Caw211p at some ADs who have passed on the increase immediately to buyers.

Journeyman
    why the increase

Despite the recent price hikes most are available with a healthy discount.
    Never pay RRP on these brands.
    Recently flew back from Larnaca where Tag’s and Breitling were available at 30% discounts..
    Find yourself a trusted broker if you can’t be bothered to do the leg work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a Tag Heuer 01 with a steel bracelet on sale, it was £3250 and the guy still rounded it off to £3K after much chatting and deliberating.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Noticed the prices had risen yesterday when window shopping, seems cheeky putting up prices on old stock?

Craftsman

Cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Noticed the prices had risen yesterday when window shopping, seems cheeky putting up prices on old stock?
    Cheeky putting up prices for a brand that never sells at RRP or for models which seem to sit forever in the AD displays.

Craftsman
    Always loved tag heuer but don’t see a price rise helping them out.

Craftsman
    The only way I can see Tag Heuer make a turnaround is somehow start to embrace the historic watches without being cheesy or overly magnetising the past. Otherwise they'll be in the mall watch segment. Without having looked at their finances, their segment is probably not a too bad place to be in from sales perspective.

Master
    I have 4 tag heuers, all Carreras. They compare favourably with any other brand I've bought. Don't get no respect. No idea why.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    It's funny how they divide the WIS and yet, anyone I know who has owned one and actually worn it as a watch, god forbid, have had almost no trouble. My Dad, for example, bought the classic auto 2000 in the early 90's and it still works fine today. It's had a few services but it does exactly what it set out to do. I still think they have a place in a collection and I currently own an old 2000 series as well, quartz, and it's a great all rounder, even after 15-20 years of use. I have no shame in enjoying the brand and I love the older models, especially the 2000 series.

I think the current Carrera series is a winner and the Monaco is still a classic.

I have used an old S/EL as my designated diver for a number of years.
    An auto version. It performed flawlessly.

I since gifted it to my best friend, who didn't own a decent watch and during the holidays said it seemed a nice watch that was waterresistant...He isn't into watches at all.

However, I would never buy a TAG Heuer unless at a big discount.
    I might get me a vintage Monaco someday.

Master
    I can remember when the only watches I knew of in the luxury market were Rolex and Tag Heuer.
    I think TZUK is more anti Tag Heuer than other forums.

Wonder why that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I can remember when the only watches I knew of in the luxury market were Rolex and Tag Heuer.

Craftsman

Buyers

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I certainly would not regard Tags as luxury watches

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Many buyers would probably agree with you but Tag price themselves into the luxury market, whether deserving or not.

Tag Heuer price increase

So much TH hate

I don’t own one, but would love a Calibre 11 Monaco. Anyone who thinks that isn’t deserving of being a “luxury watch,” whatever that is, really needs to have a more open mind. Maybe start with actually handling one

D

Last edited by helidoc; 9th March 2020 at 02:02.

Craftsman

Long time ago.

Remember those days myself and how times have moved.

Early 2000’s I remember a pretty level playing field for most of the big players, Rolex was in the mix but not the dominant force it has now become for a lot of buyers. Competition was plenty, Cartier, Breitling, Panerai burst on to the scene, Tag was seen as a leading innovation of designs but Omega and Jlc were seen as a little staid and more for your Dad.

Now, with the social media crowd looking to out do each other in how can I make you more envious, many of the brands which were once challenging Rolex and for many buyers were seen as better have now been left kicking Rolex’s tyres as the wrist flash of instagram kids now dominate what many buyers now see as the only player to have, otherwise they might get laughed at or unfriend on their Facebook page.

God help those people who can make an independent choice and be able to see through the BS generation of influencers.

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    So much TH hate

I don’t own one, but would love a Calibre 11 Monaco. Anyone who thinks that isn’t deserving of being a “luxury watch,” whatever that is, really needs to have a more open mind. Maybe start with actually handling one

D

Completely agree. Tag Heuer is probably one of the few if not the only major player who delivers something at every level for every generation. Not scared to try out design and technology that many other manufacturers would never let happen.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    So much TH hate

D

I’m with helidoc on this, some people need to have a bit more of an open mind on TH, and yes I do own one!

TH bashing is easy but I’m pretty sure most of those people have never owned one? I am personally not a fan of Rolex but I wouldn’t dream of deriding them or any other brand, there’s room for everyone, every brand/watch out there has it’s positives and negatives.

Picture of my lovely F1 which I enjoy just as much as any of my other watches!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    I’m with helidoc on this, some people need to have a bit more of an open mind on TH, and yes I do own one!

TH bashing is easy but I’m pretty sure most of those people have never owned one? I am personally not a fan of Rolex but I wouldn’t dream of deriding them or any other brand, there’s room for everyone, every brand/watch out there has it’s positives and negatives.

Picture of my lovely F1 which I enjoy just as much as any of my other watches!

Which model of F1 is that, it's a cracker, I don't think I've seen that one ?
    I have a 2008 F1 Alarm, a 1988 2000 Professional and a 2016 Aquaracer calibre 5.

Which model of F1 is that, it's a cracker, I don't think I've seen that one ?
    I have a 2008 F1 Alarm, a 1988 2000 Professional and a 2016 Aquaracer calibre 5.
    Thanks RD. It’s reference number is WAZ2113.BA0875, 41mm auto, there is an unworn one on Chrono24 at the minute, £1200.

I certainly would not regard Tags as luxury watches

I think most of the world's population would consider a £1,000 watch to be a luxury regardless of brand

DJ

Indont understand why people bash TH, I personally really like the brand, I own a F1 Grande Date, F1 blue chrono and a Heuer 01. Both purchased with discount and had a brilliant experience at the AD.

All watches have that different look about them, and especially the 01 with that skeleton dial. I also own 8 Rolex Professional sports models but Tag gets the most wrist time.

Monaco is next on the list.

I'm a fan of TH though more on the side of the Heuer badged re-issues I've got 3 in my collection

Master
    So a movement which is only 2 years old packs in and is unrepairable is ok in your book? Well not in mine!!!

I had problems with my Aquaracer in the warranty period but it was fixed well within the allotted time, although I wasn't told what the problem had been

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDJ View Post
    I think most of the world's population would consider a £1,000 watch to be a luxury regardless of brand

DJ
    This.

I have owned several Tags in the early 2000s but essentially I found their after sales service Centre appalling. I had a link Chrono which stopped after 2 years. Assuming it was a simple battery change but no the whole movement was shot and they charged me an arm and leg to swap a new one in. I immediately traded it in for an Omega and have never looked back.

That Tag More than likely had an omega group quartz movement inside
    Also it’s general practice to just swap them out
    You could have taken it to any watch repairer for a new movement
    Finding one to fix it would be a lot harder mind

Maybe instead of not looking back you should have actually taken the “back” of the watch and had a look inside ?
    Lol
    Last edited by speedypro1111; 10th March 2020 at 08:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Thanks RD. It’s reference number is WAZ2113.BA0875, 41mm auto, there is an unworn one on Chrono24 at the minute, £1200.

I'm not on the lookout for another watch having taken early retirement at xmas but not on any sort of income at present.
    But I do like your F1, it's a lot better than mine.The dial and bezel are beautiful

Master
    TH are an innovative luxury brand no doubt about it, The Monaco is an icon and part of the Breitling / Heuer / Hamilton "1st auto chronograph" group along with Zenith and Seiko. Their Caliper and Mikrogirder chronographs are incredibly innovative and what other Swiss tourbillon can you get for £15000 new?

I think their issue for the WIS community is that they run the gamut of price from sub £1k quartz to £50k+ precious metal behemoths, much like Seiko their hologically respectable top end is being dragged down by their bread and butter lower end. Seiko are addressing this by distancing Grand Seiko for Seiko both in branding and price maybe TH should do the same, Keep TAG Heuer for the lower end stuff and slap 'Heuer' on the top end stuff.

I suspect though the bread and butter stuff is what keeps the brand alive and it's more a case of the top end elevating the lower end out of the sub £500 bracket and with their popularity with the hoi poloi that extra £500+ per watch is what keeps the lights on. Would people pay over a grand for a quartz F1 if it didn't share the same logo as 'that Steve McQueen one'? Probably not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    TH are an innovative luxury brand no doubt about it, The Monaco is an icon and part of the Breitling / Heuer / Hamilton "1st auto chronograph" group along with Zenith and Seiko. Their Caliper and Mikrogirder chronographs are incredibly innovative and what other Swiss tourbillon can you get for £15000 new?

I think their issue for the WIS community is that they run the gamut of price from sub £1k quartz to £50k+ precious metal behemoths, much like Seiko their hologically respectable top end is being dragged down by their bread and butter lower end. Seiko are addressing this by distancing Grand Seiko for Seiko both in branding and price maybe TH should do the same, Keep TAG Heuer for the lower end stuff and slap 'Heuer' on the top end stuff.

I suspect though the bread and butter stuff is what keeps the brand alive and it's more a case of the top end elevating the lower end out of the sub £500 bracket and with their popularity with the hoi poloi that extra £500+ per watch is what keeps the lights on. Would people pay over a grand for a quartz F1 if it didn't share the same logo as 'that Steve McQueen one'? Probably not.
    While you make good points re the large range and price points, to me Carrera is their luxury line. I have 4, have handled many others and each was impressive. I have never bought one new and none were over half RRP.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    God help those people who can make an independent choice and be able to see through the BS generation of influencers.
    I dont mean to get philosophical but there is no such thing as a truly independent choice

I’m sure in your day you must have seen a few brand ads on radio, magazines, newspapers, sports sponsorships, etc. Maybe someone you admired wore a particular brand. That made you think and feel a certain way about that brand.

Then when it was time to buy a watch, all of that experience translated into a preference for one brand over another.

Influencers are just another advertising medium. I would not denigrate anyone for being swayed by influencers or tv ads or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    This.
    Most things are luxuries by virtue of the fact that you can buy cheaper alternatives

Own-brand ketchup anyone?