closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are we ever really 'done' collecting?

Journeyman

Are we ever really 'done' collecting?

Listened to quite a thought-provoking podcast today about watch collecting (Worn & Wound ep72 if you're interested).

The only common theme I've ever noticed between collectors of watches (or indeed cars, wine, stamps etc) is that no-one ever seems to be 'done'. It seems everyone always has their eye on the next addition, swap or flip. My own gaggle of watches is small – I currently have 5 but I've already pretty much planned out my next two acquisitions... I'd like to think my collection will be quite well-rounded at that point, but if I'm honest with you (and myself) I know that I'll just be looking for the next thing(s) before those two have even settled in my watch box. Perhaps it's because I'm only a few years into the hobby and that I know my tastes and outlook will change as I learn and discover. Problem is all of my current five now have sentimental value so I can't see me ever letting them go.

So I'm wondering, has anyone reached the point where they can honestly say they are happy with their current lineup for life, and/or have managed to abstain from buying new watches for a long period of time (say 5+ years?), or even downsize to a particular goal number and stick to it? Or do we as humans just have that never-ending instinct to 'progress'?

Yes, I sold off my old collection about 6 years ago, I had a Breitling Navitimer LE 01 (wish I kept that), a Breitling Steelfish, another Breitling I can't remember the name of and 4-5 Hamiltons. I just never wore them, between then and now I had an Omega AT 8500 that was my only watch for more than 5 years. Sold that last year and now only have a Zenith defy 21. To me having more than 1 watch just seems redundant. My plan is to keep this for the next 5+ years then maybe sell it and get something else.

It depends on your personality. I've no desire to have a collection of anything really. I'm not a hoarder and tend not to keep things I don't need or use. I'm certainly not envious of those with hundreds of watches, or worse those with multiples of the same watch.

I wouldn't mind a couple more watches for different occasions, but wouldn't collect for collecting's sake. So for now I'm done, until I'm bored of what I have and I'll replace.

I hope I'm done in the sense of not visiting the SC three times a day and having automatic alert lists on ebay, etc... and I haven't bough a watch for a while now. But no, nowhere near done nor happy! (and aparently I'm peeking into the forum again, ain't I... )

I very much doubt you'll ever be. There's always another reallyreallyreally nice watch you don't have/can't afford, can afford if only you could find one for sale. Even if you are super rich there is always something else not available to you.

I guess you are only done when you get out of this watch business. If not your collection can always be better or have something else in it.

Its a hopeless cause. I buy a watch I think is THE ONE and a few days later I lose love for it.

Still think it is nice and lovely but the passion is gone

Master
    Well, I think I’m more or less ‘done’. I once had about a dozen watches, most reasonably high-end. Sold them, mainly on SC. One more, a Rolex, to sell at some point. Which will leave me with just a CWC quartz dive watch, which is the only watch I wear.
    I would like one of the new Ed White Omegas if one ever came up at a sane price. But apart from that, I can’t see myself buying another watch. I’m still vaguely interested in the hobby, without wishing to actually buy stuff.
    I doubt I’m the only one.....interests wax and wane.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I sold my collection a few years back,kept just one watch.A couple of years ago the sickness returned with a vengeance.

Don't class myself as a collector. More of a serial buyer as the fancy strikes (within budget). Being 'done' might be just a question of finding or waiting for the right watch, having a light-bulb moment (no longer giving in to advertising/consumerism/following the herd), just getting bored or having a more 'serious' use for your cash.

I'm still interested up to a point, but the Air Ministry killed off my seriously looking for something else. You're welcome to the rest!

Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to be done collecting after I get the next one.

I said that before I got the last one, but that wasn't the right next one. The one before that seemed to be the place to end, but then it wasn't. I think I need a couple more Omegas, maybe a couple of Rolex, and quite a few 'others'. There's another Dan Henry I like the look of, and a Seiko.....and perhaps a Longines.....or two.......and some vintage ones.......but I'm sure I'll be 'done' after the next one. Or two......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I just need three more and I’ll be done, promise

Something gold, something old and something super complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something I’ve been thinking about lately. I’ve had a lot of watches pass through my hands the last 3 years, buying and flipping. I made a decision toward the end of 2019 that it was a black hole for money and something I should stop doing. Had a good think about what would be the ideal collection for me - what brands I like most, what types of watches I’d get most use out of. Settled on what I thought would be a solid 4 watch collection and set about putting it together. The final watch landed at the post office today, will pick it up tomorrow.

My hope is that I’ll then be done. Not forever, I’m not deluded enough to think I’ll never buy another watch again, but hopefully for a good long while. I don’t see a problem with having a small collection and buying a watch now and then to upgrade an existing one - nice hobby. It’s the constant flipping and flogging that I need to get away from!

I'm.done. Unless someone has an Orient white face saturation diver they want to sell..!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I'm done. Really quite happy with my lot. Haven't seen anything for a while that I really wanted. The Spindrift Zenith was the closest I've come to changing anything for a long time. I even considered the birth year watch but I was born in 1970 and that wasn't a good time for watches! Lol!

No, it's an illness I tell you 

Like a lot on here it's the enjoyment of the hunt, which often exceeds the actual ownership, which has you looking for the next shiny bauble.

I've always been the same with other things over the last 40 years, always collecting something, always buying and selling something and usually at a loss. I kid myself that the loss is actually a rental fee for temporary ownership, doesn't feel so bad then.

Master
    I'm not a collector, just someone with some mental issues. Retail therapy, more like a coping mechanism. I get fixated on things, and buy into it. This might be knives, barbour jackets, filson shirts, watches, varieties of dried asian noodles, condiments, or recently, leatherwork kit. Just got another hide yesterday because.

Master
    There always has to be a ' next thing ' , that's my experience.😳

I agree that it’s an illness however I have it bad.
    I tend not to flip unless it’s a watch I really don’t like, as such my collection is quite large (50+)
    It’s not just watches with me though.
    Vintage Flying jackets
    Pen knifes
    Lee Enfield rifles
    I could go on...

Master
    Most of the watches I’d like to own have gone beyond what I’m prepared to tie up in a trinket, financially

LV, 4 digit subs etc.

Happy with just a 16610

Master
    I think the answer to the OPs question depends on what type of collector you are. Some collect a suitcase full of cheap stuff, some collect a few Rolex and PP, some are just on an endless treadmill of buying and constant reselling and some have a plan from the outset and once the plan is achieved, they call it quits.

I have what I wanted and the urge to buy something else is all but zero.

For me, at least, the buying days are over.

Contentment is the only cure. Until then you are doomed!

Craftsman
    Every time I think I'm finished with my collection, I find some reason to change it.

Leaky bucket never be filled!
    Last edited by Willows; 5th March 2020 at 22:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have more watches than I wear and I have moments when I think I need a clear out.

I wore the same watch for 18 years before I added a few more.

I sometime think I could sell the lot and just keep the BB58.

But if I sell the Explorer I’ll never buy another as I bulk at the prices now.

Mostly done accumulating, could do with trading one piece and adding two more at some point in the future. Plenty of time to do this so no need to obsess over SC and see what's for sale.

I think at some point you find what you're into and refine the collection after. I've been through dive watches, chronographs, three handers and GMTs. Took me a few years but now I know I'm only really into dive watches so will focus on them from here on out.

Master
    When you're done collecting, you're no longer a collector. This could be seen as being cured.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve been collecting for as long as I’ve been a forum member, so that’s now over 15 years. Over that time I’ve probably had 70 to 80 watches through my hands and it’s certainly true to say that I have more idea now of what I like/want/covet than when I started.

I made a bold claim about 3 years ago in a SOTC thread, suggesting that I thought I was approaching an end game... since then I’ve continued to buy and sell, generally with the aim of going rather more upmarket. So no end game, then .

I currently own 18 watches, but will look to sell 5 of them soon as I don’t wear them - 4 of those were part of my end game scenario 3 years ago!

So no, I doubt if I’m ever going to be finished .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I’ve been collecting for as long as I’ve been a forum member, so that’s now over 15 years. Over that time I’ve probably had 70 to 80 watches through my hands and it’s certainly true to say that I have more idea now of what I like/want/covet than when I started.

I made a bold claim about 3 years ago in a SOTC thread, suggesting that I thought I was approaching an end game... since then I’ve continued to buy and sell, generally with the aim of going rather more upmarket. So no end game, then .

I currently own 18 watches, but will look to sell 5 of them soon as I don’t wear them - 4 of those were part of my end game scenario 3 years ago!

So no, I doubt if I’m ever going to be finished .

Simon
    Hehe end game is sooooo overrated. What am I gonna do over the coming years?!?

Most members would do well to enjoy what they have and just wear and appreciate watches rather than chasing and constant collection fiddling.

But totally sympathy for the ones who do the whole flipping, just too much stress for me!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think I'm going to be done collecting after I get the next one.

I said that before I got the last one, but that wasn't the right next one. The one before that seemed to be the place to end, but then it wasn't. I think I need a couple more Omegas, maybe a couple of Rolex, and quite a few 'others'. There's another Dan Henry I like the look of, and a Seiko.....and perhaps a Longines.....or two.......and some vintage ones.......but I'm sure I'll be 'done' after the next one. Or two......

Perfectly put i feel exactly the same. Just one more i promise, then i'm done.

Master
    I seemed to have always been a collector, but at least my wife is now relatively happy as 15 years ago I have 12 motor bikes plus lots of spares, (most sold ff 10 years ago).....watches take up less space!!

Master
    Part of the fun is the chase, refining of the collection, whether adding, reducing, trading for something else. I’ll be done collecting when I’m bored of watches, which for me, I don’t see happening for a long while if ever.

Craftsman
    Over Xmas I was congratulating myself, hadn't bought a watch in over 6 months*, thought I was free and clear of collecting.

Then, stupidly, I clicked a link to a DE wet shaving forum. Oh dear, off down the rabbit hole we go again.

(on the plus side, it's much, much cheaper than watches)

*edit - just realised that I had forgotten about the Timex quartz.......and a Bambino Small Seconds.....
    Last edited by cad monkey; 6th March 2020 at 10:10.

I've definitely slowed right down and plan to downsize this year. I would really like to get down to three but one of those is already set so the other two would be tough to choose, especially as at least two of three of those other options would be very hard to replace.

My taste used to change a fair bit but think I'm fairly settled on what I really like now.

In put alot more thought into buying now, even cheaper bargains that I used to jump on I now put serious thought into if I really want it and find often a couple days contemplation results in a "no".

My disposable income is also less than it has ever been which contributes but I feel various factors are aligning and really I'm finally finding myself more and more uninspired by anything modern.

Do I think I'll buy anything else this year? More than likely but I will try not to unless it's something really special. Really trying to get out of this constantly wanting something else trap, want to appreciate what I have instead of falling into the addictive search for the next purchase.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 6th March 2020 at 11:00.

I've just bought a Seiko 6138 Jumbo from SC and said to myself that was enough, my collection was complete and there was nothing else I wanted.

Then I remembered Eddie's impending Caribbean re-issue...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I don’t think a week goes by where I see something new that really interests me..
    these days i find that I am just a little more restrained..

I didn't start collecting watches. It just happened!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've always been a collector even going back to a kid with Brooke Bond tea cards, stamps and army cap badges.

I like the research and knowledge that accrues from collecting anything of interest.

My main interests nowadays are watches, electric guitars and pre war "glamour" cigarette cards but I've collected all sorts over the years.

Unsurprisingly my favourite show is American Pickers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, I think I’m more or less ‘done’. I once had about a dozen watches, most reasonably high-end. Sold them, mainly on SC. One more, a Rolex, to sell at some point. Which will leave me with just a CWC quartz dive watch, which is the only watch I wear.
    I would like one of the new Ed White Omegas if one ever came up at a sane price. But apart from that, I can’t see myself buying another watch. I’m still vaguely interested in the hobby, without wishing to actually buy stuff.
    I doubt I’m the only one.....interests wax and wane.
    I’m very similar tbh - I think watch collecting became a bit of an obsession for me, and I was quite OCD about any perceived imperfections which is odd as I’m not like that in any other area of my life. I just stepped away from it really as I recognised it as slightly unhealthy and a bit expensive. Now wear a Seiko Arnie and a g shock frogman most of the time, have a few other cheap G’s and Seikos but the world of Rolex,Panerai and Omega, the thrill of something new, expensive and ‘hard to get’ just no longer interests me at all. If I’d liked them I’d have kept them tbh! - like you I’m still vaguely interested in the hobby, but not enough to spend any real money on it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m very similar tbh - I think watch collecting became a bit of an obsession for me, and I was quite OCD about any perceived imperfections which is odd as I’m not like that in any other area of my life. I just stepped away from it really as I recognised it as slightly unhealthy and a bit expensive. Now wear a Seiko Arnie and a g shock frogman most of the time, have a few other cheap G’s and Seikos but the world of Rolex,Panerai and Omega, the thrill of something new, expensive and ‘hard to get’ just no longer interests me at all. If I’d liked them I’d have kept them tbh! - like you I’m still vaguely interested in the hobby, but not enough to spend any real money on it!

I've only been into watches for a few years but recognise this - and some of the other comments in here.

I obsess over small differences and am not sure I'll ever be happy. I bought a SD 16600 - because it's the classic design, bit more muted than the modern SDs, suits my wrist - but I still keep thinking I should have gone for the 116600 - because it's more modern, shorter production run, etc. In reality I know it doesn't matter and I should just enjoy a nice watch.

I kind of wish I'd never got into the hobby. The bug just came out of nowhere!

Craftsman
    I thought I was done. My watch box was full. But I have now sold two so have two empty places. What is a man going to do!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Probably not. But maybe in the watch sense. My attention is elsewhere so I’m thinking of selling some that I don’t wear. The massive increase in value hasn’t helped as now everything has to live in the safety deposit box... so I don’t really engage with most of my watches on a day-to-day basis.
    That and the thought of someone mugging me has really made me reassess what I’m doing with so many watches.
    I’m going to reduced down to 2 categories:
    Things I just can’t part with... like my old 16700...
    and things that still have room to appreciate like my flat4 LV.

So maybe I’m done?
    Maybe I’ll just find I graduate to less valuable pieces and keep them in the house.

Journeyman
    10 slot box 10 slots filled plus a birth month and year Seiko floating.
    No plans to sell any as happy. I think one needs to be strong willed as part of the attraction is deciding, finding then actually buying...but I’m now done.
    In my 51st year so hopefully time to enjoy them before the kids get them???!!!?!?!

Blog Entries
    I've sold a couple of watches recently and have the money in the 'watch' fund - toyed with the idea of sticking the money in an investment fund - thought better of that, so may use some toward house purchase - boring - but I'm now down to seven which is far too low for me!! In a holding pattern until house moves complete which could be toward end of year...

But never really 'done' collecting unless somehow block myself from TZ - which I don't plan to do - it's far too friendly.

Martyn

Master
    I’ve not bought anything new in ages so I’m done (for the time being at least).

Master
    Always had too many watches and then joined TZ-UK 8 years ago and it got worse and although i stayed around 5 watches i was buying selling and even buying the same watch again so over the last 2 years i have restricted myself to 3 watches (one in one out) not including Casio's as i read on here they don't count.

I will try and make it through this year without buying and i am toying with the idea of going down to 2 watches as i already have my grail watch which will never be sold.

I’ve been through several “cycles” of interest/enthusiasm for collecting, and it seems to be more or less hardwired into my brain. Which probably explains why I’m also socially reserved and nerdy... 🤔

What has stopped the hobby becoming a treadmill and/or financially ruinous has been the sheer variety of watches out there. I think the last time I spent 4 figures on a watch was 3 years ago, when I bought my X-33. Since then I’ve accreted a decent number of interesting-but-cheaper watches, kept some, flipped some. There’s always some interesting, new-to-me movement, designer or brand out there...

I console myself (and Mrs Cain): “at least it isn’t classic cars or motorbikes”...

Craftsman
    I think my interest will wax and wane forever. I tend to cycle through obsessions such as bikes, cars, electrical goods and watches. Currently in a watch phase and have been for a couple of years. Prior to this bout of sickness I wore just an exp2 for 4 years but before then I was just as bad.

And when I say obsess, I really do mean obsess. If the strap or bracelet doesn’t feel exactly right I start obsessing about getting rid of the watch and what I can replace it with. Change watches sometimes 3x a day if I’m working from home.

I have it bad. Thank god I can’t access SC yet. My little collection of 5 watches is getting scared!

Craftsman
    Short answer, like several other people in this thread, yes, I am done with collecting. I still enjoy the vicarious thrill of other people's purchases on here but I have an everyday knock about watch, my 21st birthday Speedmaster Professional and 40th Birthday X-33 and everything else (six others including a Ploprof) has gone. I'm just not as acquisitive as I once was and I'm much more interested in having the "right" things for me now rather than a lot of things - not just watches but everything else too. It's been liberating to buy and want less to be honest.

Journeyman
    After mulling this over some more and taking the replies here into account, I've made a decision to take action before my 'sickness' gets out of hand.

As much as I love watches it is taking up too much of my time. I am struggling to keep up with the everyday basics of cleaning and cooking and maintaining my home, so something has to give. I'll be getting rid of everything.

I'll post details on SC shortly, but below is a list of what's available – all of them need to go. Serious inquiries only, and please don't insult me with low offers.

Thanks for reading and understanding......

1. Dustpan and broom
    2. Sponges
    3. Feather duster
    4. Mop and bucket
    5. Lawn Mower
    6. Vacuum
    7. Leaf blower
    8. Laundry detergent
    9. Hand Tools
    10. Broom

I only stop collecting when something else gets in the way. At the moment that’s a house, which will tie up all available funds for a little while - once things are settled again, I’m sure I’ll be buying more watches. But, I’m also mindful of supporting the kids through university, so it may take a little more time.

I think my buying will be a lot more considered over the coming years - I have most of the watches I really like, and it’s taken a long time to get to that point.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyTudor View Post

1. Dustpan and broom
    2. Sponges
    3. Feather duster
    4. Mop and bucket
    5. Lawn Mower
    6. Vacuum
    7. Leaf blower
    8. Laundry detergent
    9. Hand Tools
    10. Broom