closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko's new 9RA5 Spring Drive calibre

Seiko's new 9RA5 Spring Drive calibre

The new 9RA5 Spring Drive calibre. Info taken from here: https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/03/gra...m-slga001.html

Improvements over the current 9R65:

* power reserve lengthened to 120 hours, with two mainspring barrels in series

* date change now instant

* accuracy improved from 15 seconds a month to 10 seconds a month, with thermo-compensation (previously only seen in the quartz movements) and oscillator and temperature sensor vacuum-sealed

* slimmer: 5.0mm against the 9R65's 5.8mm, with the magic lever and gear train redesigned to take up less space

The first watch it'll be fitted in will be a limited edition Grand Seiko diver.

For those, unlike me, able to appreciate such things, there are photos of the various parts of the mechanism in that SJX piece. (For those who like complaining about the size of GS divers, there are also renders of the new titanium SLGA001)

Significant improvements on an already fantastic caliber.

Thanks Der Amf.

Before reading up about this new movement I hadn’t understood about quartz crystal ageing, picking the most stable crystals, and the various types of compensation. All very clever.

The new 9SA5 hi-beat calibre with 80 hours power reserve, direct impulse escapement is for me much more interesting!

https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/03/gra...t-slgh002.html

For now being used in a rather predictable gold GS, which doesn't push my buttons

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The new 9SA5 hi-beat calibre with 80 hours power reserve, direct impulse escapement is for me much more interesting!
    Why haven't you started a thread on it then?

Journeyman
    I was looking at this on ABlogtoWatch, and main takeaway is that I wish GS would get rid of whoever's in charge of their art department. Their renders/photos are shockingly poor. Honestly, I think they're getting worse if anything. The Seiko stuff usually looks better.

That is one amazing dive watch. $11,000 is a bit pricey but I love the way it looks.
    While the dressier Grand Seikos do nothing for me, GS and Seiko divers just blow me away.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the info, really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is one amazing dive watch. $11,000 is a bit pricey but I love the way it looks.
    While the dressier Grand Seikos do nothing for me, GS and Seiko divers just blow me away.
    I agree , I also like the GS and Seiko divers watches . Reading through the article I see the gear train is under a single bridge which can improve shock resistance , great in a sports watch .

Thank you for posting the article .

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Why haven't you started a thread on it then?
    Thought I'd lump it in with the other new seiko movement announcement. Carry on.

Craftsman
    A good read. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shame that diver is MASSIVE!
    Love the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    More threads like this!

Why are the GS divers so massively oversized? I will stick with my Blancpain Bathyscape with a superior movement, superior brand and far smaller, thinner case.

Why can't the Japanese make 40mm divers like the Swiss have being doing since the 60s?

Master
    All a matter of opinion of course, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to show how the Blancpain movement is superior to Spring Drive.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Why are the GS divers so massively oversized? I will stick with my Blancpain Bathyscape with a superior movement, superior brand and far smaller, thinner case.

Why can't the Japanese make 40mm divers like the Swiss have being doing since the 60s?
    I concur - it's a brutally sized thing - 47mm? Who has the wrist for that? I know Seiko have a family look of chunky, tall divers, but why not make a more svelte piece to take the Swiss head on?

The movement is the future, now let's have a case to match!

Master

I’m a big fan of GS but have to agree regarding the Bathy movement.
    120 power reserve and the most accurate mechanical watch I own.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I’m a big fan of GS but have to agree regarding the Bathy movement.
    120 power reserve and the most accurate mechanical watch I own.
    I concur, that BP movement is sublime. I’m waiting for delivery of a FF 50th anniversary.

For my money, £ for £, BP make some of the finest dive watches.

Not to hijack the post too far, but the reason I wanted the 50th anniversary is the reasonable size.

I love the GS finish. But to my mind, watches are moving away from the massive 45mm plus size and towards more wearable, discrete 40mm cases.

I recently bought a Seiko SKX013 as a beater. At 38mm it’s diminutive, but I love the size.

Perhaps a direction for GS divers?
    Last edited by daborg; 5th March 2020 at 19:01.

Master
    Aside from this and the Charles Frodsham, is anyone aware of any other double impulse mechanisms ?

Just beautiful.

Craftsman

.. well they did at one point - the original 62mas is 38mm .. and 6105s could be found at 40mm. The new batch of 62mas reissues look much more like it (but interesting to see what lug to lug).
    al

Master
    I hope Seiko have redesigned the fine adjustment clasp on the new GS divers, the old one is looking a bit tired.

Master
    Blog Entries

Seiko's new 9RA5 Spring Drive calibre

Platinum too expensive, gold not for me and don’t think titanium would suit it.
    Last edited by Middo; 7th March 2020 at 20:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/03/gra...t-slgh002.html

For now being used in a rather predictable gold GS, which doesn't push my buttons

Seriously bad dial print! I mean come on 80 hours? I love GS but that’s stupid