closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Controversial New Arrival

Master

Controversial New Arrival

Although the Code 11.59 has been slagged off from everybody and their dog, I’ve grown to love it. The case design, crazy crystal geometry, and minimal dial aesthetic all really appeal to me.

So, after a few viewings at the boutique, I present the first Code 11.59 on the forum! I’m running off to put on my fireproof suit!

I’ve only had it a few hours, but I’ll post more detailed thoughts in the next week or so.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice lugs

I'd say that the case is an acquired taste, but I love a good domed crystal - and this watch has just that! Congrats on your new purchase, wear it with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    Although the Code 11.59 has been slagged off from everybody and their dog, I’ve grown to love it. The case design, crazy crystal geometry, and minimal dial aesthetic all really appeal to me.

So, after a few viewings at the boutique, I present the first Code 11.59 on the forum! I’m running off to put on my fireproof suit!

I’ve only had it a few hours, but I’ll post more detailed thoughts in the next week or so.

Simon

Craftsman

Cellini

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    I'd say that the case is an acquired taste, but I love a good domed crystal - and this watch has just that! Congrats on your new purchase, wear it with pride.

This probably goes down the route of Rolex’s Cellini range, technically excellent and beautiful finishes but just not a watch the masses associate with the Brand. It was a bold step from Audemars to give the audience something other than the Royal Oak but unfortunately it was not given a standing ovation.

Wow Simon, you are brave!!! How readily available are they, I hear a few variants are very much in demand (I'm assuming no discounts....)?

Personally - I feel the dial layout needs some work. How does the size work for you, they look as if they would wear big?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Wow Simon, you are brave!!! How readily available are they, I hear a few variants are very much in demand (I'm assuming no discounts....)?

Personally - I feel the dial layout needs some work. How does the size work for you, they look as if they would wear big?
    I've seen them a few times in the AP Boutique in Harrods. I don't think they're sold that many (suprise!), so I imagine they're not hard to get hold of. There are loads on Chrono24. I got mine from WF.

It's 41mm, with a lug-to-lug around 48mm. The narrow bezel makes it look big, but it's fine on my hamster wrist. Certainly a better fit that the chunky ROO Diver I traded in at WF.

You wait. If AP totally change the look this year, these first editions will be worth a million in a few years!

Cheers,

simon
    Last edited by gladders; 3rd March 2020 at 15:25. Reason: fix up my rotten English!

I like that. The lug design reminds me of the Mont Blanc Timewalker range and it was the lug design that attracted me to them.

I think it's lovely. I love the diversity of the case / lug design and the domed crystal. Also the dimensions appear to be perfect.

I also think the Minute Repeater with the small seconds at '6' is stunning. Mind you, they want to be for the price - jeez!!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 3rd March 2020 at 15:49.

I quite like that; if only...!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Great watch, future classic in my humble opinion, congratulations.

Journeyman

Simon

I think these are cracking watches. - A tad expensive but I'd have that over a Royal Oak any day.

G

Journeyman
    I'd also love to hear how flexible AP are on selling these things?

An unadulterated position of grandeur and their own belief that this will be a classic

or

Sales are not as expected....How can we help you remove it from the store?

I've seen them a few times in the AP Boutique in Harrods. I don't think they're sold that many (suprise!), so I imagine they're not hard to get hold of. There are loads on Chrono24. I got mine from WF.

It's 41mm, with a lug-to-lug around 48mm. The narrow bezel makes it look big, but it's fine on my hamster wrist. Certainly a better fit that the chunky ROO Diver I traded in at WF.

You wait. If AP totally change the look this year, these first editions will be worth a million in a few years!

Cheers,

simon
    I've still not seen them in real life, so something I will try and do this week as I need to pass through Central on Thursday!

Oh man, you traded the AP Diver! But if it doesn't fit, I guess it has to go! Lug to lug 48mm is actually ok.

As for changes - who knows what AP will do. The signs are the chronograph won't change much, so let's see. But the rumours are whatever is released, these first editions will definitely be discontinued.

Looks absolutely gorgeous to me. Something a little different that stands out from the crowd. Enjoy.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I like it a lot. Would love to see a worst shot.
    Makes a welcome difference from the rather boring GSs that have infested the forum lately.

Nice, as stated above, good to see something different from the norm

AP have always been ahead of time. Eventually, the rest of the world will catch up.

"Top down" it looks very plain. It could be absolutely anything. But the magic is "from the side".

It is a new and different way of looking at things. You can see the same with the crystal, it might appear like a dome but it is actually curved in two axes.

Congrats. You have style.

Don't listen to other people. They slag stuff off and then go and buy the most obvious and unimaginative choice they can find.

Craftsman
    Reminds me of a Jacobs and Co watch, I might of just been watching the Producer Micheal video and have them on my mine.

Master
    Thanks for the kind words chaps. The crystal is all kinds of crazy. In the picture below, it almost looks concave.

I think this is a watch that you can only appreciate when you hold it and see the quality of ap, all the bloggers that were bashing it only saw it from a picture. Same with the introduction with the Royal Oak btw, everybody thought it was madness, a steel watch for the price of gold.

Anyway, congratulations Simon, I think that these will be collectors pieces in 30 years time and you can show off as being truelly avant garde, so much more cooler then the thousands of Rolex that are out there. I applaude you sir!!

Very nice! I’m a huge AP fan, currently have a ROO Diver, ROO Panda Chrono and a Jules Audemars Chrono. Have also previously had two from the Millenary range. From my experience, whilst the finishing on the popular models is obviously outstanding, it’s only when you move into the more niche models that you really begin to appreciate how great a maker AP are and just what they are capable of.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Nice, as stated above, good to see something different from the norm
    "the norm" has been out of date since the 1930's. Wilsdorf comes up with the Oyster case in 1926, where it's screwed down in the front using a lead seal that deforms, by 1931 the tolerances had tightened up enough to not need the front screw down bezel but instead it's faked on fluted bezels or a smooth bezel on most other watches sitting on top of a case.

It's an odd part of the human condition that 5 years of 3 piece cases, influence one's perception of a watch to this day.

Master
    I like it!! I like the case, I like the size, I really like the lugs, I love the doomed sapphire. Great to see someone having the spherical objects to choose something top quality and different.

Master
    Thanks for the kind words chaps. The crystal is all kinds of crazy. In the picture below, it almost looks concave.
    Funnily enough the crystal on my GS 9F GMT does that too, but not to that extent - AP have really gone for it. I enjoy the effect on my GS and I’m sure it’s even more entertaining on yours. One thing is for sure, you’re unlikely to meet many anyone wearing the same watch!

Master
    I like it all bar the price.

Master
    I like that a lot. Does it have a display back?

Poise, verv, self-assurance. This is first-class watchmanship right here. Chapeau!

Top marks for having some balls and buying what you want regardless of public opinion.

Controversial New Arrival

Numbers font is wrong for me :(. They could have done something more ageing proof. Perhaps no date too.

I can't see anything wrong with it!
    On the contrary....loving it!
    But the price...

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The lugs and case design would put me off to be honest. The dial looks quite nice in an understated way but not nice enough to make up for the parts I didn't like.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I handled these in the boutique in Dubai, think they are fantastic. Big birthday in 18 months and considering whether to fill the gap with a PP, but keep coming back to the white Gold and Blue dial Chrono

Saw a ridiculous photo of the Crystal also, crazy stuff!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I like that a lot. Does it have a display back?
    Sure does...!

Craftsman
    Beautiful piece. Classical styling with lovely crystal

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Not controversial for me, I like it, as a machinist, the lugs look cool with a air of trickness to them!!

Scottie

Master

Love that crystal!

It's not entirely to my taste, but I can definitely appreciate it, and I applaud you for going for something a bit different.

That crystal is phenomenal! Reminds me of my much-missed Moser.

Somehow I must have missed the talk about this watch! First time I have seen one, got to say, i love those lugs!

I actually dislike those hollowed-out lugs. They're bound to attract muck. Do you get a supply of special AP cotton-buds to keep them clean?

The rest of the watch is lovely, though...
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    ...Do you get a supply of special AP cotton-buds to keep them clean?...
    Sadly not. Swiss-made, precision, branded AP cotton-buds are available at £350 for a box of 12.

simon

Craftsman
    The key thing is do you like it and enjoy it because ultimately that is all that should really matter. I find it interesting that so many in the watch community complain that many of the historic brands just churn out the same things again and again. Then when a company does something different they get slammed. Plus many of the super collectable watches of today were regarded as being hideous at the time they were released. I remember hearing that exotic dial Daytona watches fell into this camp until Paul Newman started wearing it.

Craftsman
    Everybody's opinion is different -- but I think that is absolutely lovely.
    Nice to see AP going back to a stylish approach.
    Enjoy it -- I'm deeply jealous.

Nothing controversial for me, either - best-looking range AP make - the Usual Suspects from them are really not for everyone in looks as well as price.

Apprentice
    I think some slightly thicker hands would suit the watch better

Journeyman
    I can't say I'm for or against it, but it seems like the sort of watch that will look far more impressive in the metal. The crystal looks fantastic.

Congrats!

Master
    Gorgeous! Great to see something different 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Top marks for having some balls and buying what you want regardless of public opinion.
    Well said.

Personally, I think this is just stunning. I love the case design.

Lovely watch - I love the lugs machined out like that. The crystal looks like it has to be seen really to be appreciated.

Congratulations I always like your watches