closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Negative display - deal or no deal?

Negative display - deal or no deal?

I’m starting to wear my full metal G-SHOCK again - bonding better, but just as I’m writing, I find I’m having to press the backlight to see the time.
    Would a negative display therefore work?
    Does anybody have any comparison pics?

Craftsman

Negative display - deal or no deal?

I have a g shock with a negative display and in all honesty I find it pretty hard to read! I only bought because I liked the contrast with the white case and strap.

Last edited by Gerald Genta; 3rd March 2020 at 10:57.

No deal, my eyes can't read them :(

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one and unless you're looking at it in direct sunlight, it's really hard for my ancient and crumbling eyes to make out the time.

Master
    I should learn...bought three and sold them quickly as negative display is hard to read.

Thanks fellas - that’s that done then! No from me.

Journeyman
    Made it easier for me to decide as well :-)

Scottie

I'm another who finds negative LCDs hard to read these days. One of my diversions from schoolwork many moons ago was taking LCD watches and calculators apart and flipping the polarising filters to create negative display versions.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I own just one G with a negative display - a GX-56 - and it’s almost impossible to read unless I’m outside on a bright day. It may be my ageing eyes, but casio seem to release ever murkier negative display watches with increasingly tiny digits. Even the latest STN versions in the all metal Bluetooth 5600 series look too dark. Give me a positive screen any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had both and don't like the negative displays. Admittedly they are easier to read outside if the Sun is cracking the flags, but that only happens a few days a year so not a problem really.

It is possible to get G-shocks with readable negative displays like this one I bought recently - goodness knows why they don't use these on all their watches.

Journeyman
    It depends entirely on the lighting in the room you’re in,these pics are of the same watch...

IMG_0183.JPG
    Vs
    Adjustments.JPG

Depends on the lighting, my two;

Master
    I have a Jungans Mega 1000 with a negative display. I can adjust the contrast between settings 1 to 15, although higher settings will drain the battery faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    It is possible to get G-shocks with readable negative displays like this one I bought recently - goodness knows why they don't use these on all their watches.

The 3403 module has a legendarily clear display whichever way it is polarised.

Had a negative square. Too hard to read and sold it in the end. It does look cool though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The negative display on the full metal (the 5000 module) is noticeably easier to read than the standard ones. Has an STN display, whatever that means!

Master
    This !! Was going to say the same, previous negative displays have been a no-no for me but my, GMW B5000V is fine.

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The negative display on the full metal (the 5000 module) is noticeably easier to read than the standard ones. Has an STN display, whatever that means!

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    It depends entirely on the lighting in the room you’re in,these pics are of the same watch...

IMG_0183.JPG
    Vs
    Adjustments.JPG
    And to my eyes, neither of them look legible.

Craftsman
    Nope, never been a fan and from others experience I'd say there was a lot of no's!

Vibe alarm is good for the hard of hearing

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    And to my eyes, neither of them look legible.
    I think my images were downsized by tapatalk,it came out blurry in this forum

Craftsman
    I love how tactical neg looks, however in real life I'm not a ninja....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post

Seconded - the negative display on the GD-350 is very good & extremely legible in all lighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Seconded - the negative display on the GD-350 is very good & extremely legible in all lighting conditions.
    That's thirded - I already seconded it

Apprentice
    Received one for free and use it for hiking. Wouldn’t spend my money on a negative though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've had two negative displays and although I love the look of them, I've sold one and gave the other one to my son.
    Also got a red display which is brilliant to read in the day but crap at night, even more so when you use the back light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's thirded - I already seconded it
    Fourthed. I also have the G-7710-1ER which possibly has the best of all the negative displays. The GD-350 has slightly bigger digits, so might be more readable overall. The G-7710 display really is stunning though, I'd estimate almost double the contrast ratio of the 350, which is already very good. It also has a better (EL) backlight.

For anyone unfamiliar with these models:

• The GD-350 has a vibrate alarm. Very few others have this. It's very effective. I much prefer it to an alarm clock (although I now use an Apple Watch usually). Sometimes goes on sale for about £40. Great VFM at that sort of price. It's quite chunky, but the has great ergonomics.
    • The G-7710 has 3 simultaneous timezones. It's the only model with this (other than the positive display version). It's the perfect travel-and-don't-get-mugged watch. It's also one of the smallest men's G-shocks. Probably my favourite G-shock overall.

Sadly neither of these is solar or atomic. For those feature I have a GW-B5600BL-1ER (90s retro edition). The purple negative display, despite looking cool, is completely unreadable in anything but really strong lighting. I'm hoping for a good summer so I can wear it and still be able to tell the time!