closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Prime TV sound quality...

Amazon Prime TV sound quality...

Is it just me or does anyone else experience rather less than best sound quality on Prime TV ?

Generally, the spoken dialogue sounds like a pillow muffled whisper yet the other "action" on screen is awfully loud.

Lip sync issues are another often experienced pain in the ar$e.

Everything I ever watch on any other channels, Freeview, Sky, DTV or Netflix doesn't suffer this.

I'm forever faffing around and back again with the 5.1 speaker setup on my AV system to try and counter it, with some kind of near luck sometimes and far from great at others.

Rant paused until any comments

I have this problem with both Amazon Prime and Sky.

It's particularly terrible whilst watching The Walking Dead via Sky.

Absolutely fine on Netflix though.
    Last edited by senraw; 2nd March 2020 at 08:51.

I can't say Ive noticed it being specific to any of the streaming services, but yes, its so annoying when the dialogue are so quiet compared to the music and action. I assumed it was how the thing was produced, not the broadcast.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

Same. I was assuming it was my hearing!

I sometimes have lip sync issues and have to to put an extra delay on the audio on my amp for Prime.

Master

Sky had the same problem with a couple of episodes of Ray Donovan recently.
    They fixed it after 2 episodes with dodgy sound quality.

Sound quality doesn’t seem to have kept up with the improvements in picture quality, i think they feel people don’t notice audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the picture quality I find poor with amazon compared to Netflix, iPlayer and decent HD broadcast. It’s way over sharpened and the banding in shadows due to 8bit streaming/data rates is more noticeable. It’s probably due to the 4K to HD downsample where some bright spark has boosted the sharpening when it’s more useful going the other way. Picard series is really bad, it’s given everyone orange peel skin.

Master
    Lip sync issues here - real pain to watch sometimes

Master
    I had this on my system and there are some parameters on the TV you can adjust to sync the sound. I use an LG TV with B&O sound stage the AV Sync range is adjustable to sync up the amp and drivers with the video.

If using a sound bar check the bypass values.

I think it is a combination of factors - some sound balance in some movies and shows is just not good - too much emphasis placed on music and sound effects to the point that dialogue, especially if softly spoken, can be drowned out.

Also, as we age, our hearing becomes less acute of course, especially to higher frequencies (such as those used in speech) and we become less good at picking voices out of other background sound. I really find myself struggling with understanding what Bernadette in the Big Bang Theory is saying these days (if you watch it you'll probably know what I mean).

Finally, movies are sound mixed for cinema, and that is not the same set-up as most people have at home. So when the film is played through your home system the sound is often less than optimal for a home system and listening environment.

So I think there are several issues at play here, but I agree it is damned annoying sometimes. I often watch TV shows with the subtitles on - because I don't want to miss the dialogue. Once you get used to having the subtitles on they aren't a distraction at all.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I have very similar issues with Netflix (not the lip sync, just very low/muffled voices and relatively deafening actions/music sound).

I cannot see anywhere to change any of the sound settings to modify, but cannot find any fix online. I now have to resort to constantly adjusting the volume levels whenever we watch Netflix so I can hear the spoken word, yet not be deafened when the scenes change. Very annoying.

The only thing I could find online is to switch off the 'Dolby' option in the TV settings if you have one and see if that makes any difference. I don't have (or couldn't find) that option on my TV, so it obviously didn't help for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else experience rather less than best sound quality on Prime TV ?

Generally, the spoken dialogue sounds like a pillow muffled whisper yet the other "action" on screen is awfully loud.

Lip sync issues are another often experienced pain in the ar$e.

Everything I ever watch on any other channels, Freeview, Sky, DTV or Netflix doesn't suffer this.

I'm forever faffing around and back again with the 5.1 speaker setup on my AV system to try and counter it, with some kind of near luck sometimes and far from great at others.

Rant paused until any comments
    I have the same - only on Prime. It's almost as if all the sound is coming from the centre speaker and the surround is very muted.

Fairly frequently have lip sync issues, but a quick pause and then play usually resets this. Also had the issues across both Netflix and Prime Video regarding constantly having to adjust the volume across dialogue and actions / music sequences. We recently got a Bose Solo 5 which actively adjusts so that you have a consistent volume. It might not be the pinnacle of home cinema audio and I'm sure that those with thousands invested in 7.1 won't be shifted, but it works really well.

Some of the audio issues are down to using cheap microphones in the production stages.
    The BBC went through this with some of their drama productions and admitted to it.

I'm relieved it's not just my Amazon subscription that's not up to scratch !! Not great is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I sometimes have lip sync issues and have to to put an extra delay on the audio on my amp for Prime.
    Yeah, I have fiddled about that on the TV's menu but then it's out of whack with anything else I watch.....?

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Sound quality doesn’t seem to have kept up with the improvements in picture quality, i think they feel people don’t notice audio.
    Hear hear.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It’s the picture quality I find poor with amazon compared to Netflix, iPlayer and decent HD broadcast. It’s way over sharpened and the banding in shadows due to 8bit streaming/data rates is more noticeable. It’s probably due to the 4K to HD downsample where some bright spark has boosted the sharpening when it’s more useful going the other way. Picard series is really bad, it’s given everyone orange peel skin.
    Agree with that also - it could be better...

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I had this on my system and there are some parameters on the TV you can adjust to sync the sound. I use an LG TV with B&O sound stage the AV Sync range is adjustable to sync up the amp and drivers with the video.

If using a sound bar check the bypass values.
    Yeah, tried that but it's a faff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I think it is a combination of factors - some sound balance in some movies and shows is just not good - too much emphasis placed on music and sound effects to the point that dialogue, especially if softly spoken, can be drowned out.

Also, as we age, our hearing becomes less acute of course, especially to higher frequencies (such as those used in speech) and we become less good at picking voices out of other background sound. I really find myself struggling with understanding what Bernadette in the Big Bang Theory is saying these days (if you watch it you'll probably know what I mean).

Finally, movies are sound mixed for cinema, and that is not the same set-up as most people have at home. So when the film is played through your home system the sound is often less than optimal for a home system and listening environment.

So I think there are several issues at play here, but I agree it is damned annoying sometimes. I often watch TV shows with the subtitles on - because I don't want to miss the dialogue. Once you get used to having the subtitles on they aren't a distraction at all.
    I'm close to employing the subtitles but after spending my loot on a moderate multi speaker AV set up, it almost feels like a backward step. They could do with bloody addressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Fairly frequently have lip sync issues, but a quick pause and then play usually resets this. Also had the issues across both Netflix and Prime Video regarding constantly having to adjust the volume across dialogue and actions / music sequences. We recently got a Bose Solo 5 which actively adjusts so that you have a consistent volume. It might not be the pinnacle of home cinema audio and I'm sure that those with thousands invested in 7.1 won't be shifted, but it works really well.
    I often switch everything off for a minute or two then resume but it can get kind of tedious (because it doesn't cure it).

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Some of the audio issues are down to using cheap microphones in the production stages.
    The BBC went through this with some of their drama productions and admitted to it.
    Bad Asses !!

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Lip sync issues here - real pain to watch sometimes
    #metoo....

Early on I had issue with the TV volume having to be maxed out so a bit of googling found a fix via the TV settings (LG), suggest giving that a bash to see if anything similar.

Blog Entries
    . Once you get used to having the subtitles on they aren't a distraction at all

Agree i watch a lot of Walter presents on four and now prefer subs i also watch football with sound off cuts out the drivel
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    It helps to stream these via the Apple TV box, where there’s a setting to ‘reduce loud sounds’ - you can set it in the audio menu in settings, or swipe down to reveal a menu while watching, or even just press the Siri button and say reduce loud sounds. In practice what it actually does is raise the volume of the quieter bits I think, so you can turn it down a bit from your normal setting, but the dialogue scenes will be boosted. However it’s still not perfect, at least for my system. Ideally you would be able to adjust it, as I still find that if the dialogue is loud enough to hear clearly, then explosions, fight scenes and shouting are too loud and I find myself reaching for the remote. It’s better than nothing though.

There’s a similar setting on my amp, which helps with Sky. However having to switch all these things on and off in the right combination is a huge PITA and rarely gets exactly the right result. Everything you watch is mixed and played with different dynamic range. Probably the best is the BBC, where they have quite strict guidelines about mixing within reasonable limits, but even they had a fuss about actors muttering. It’s just one of those ongoing problems of modern civilisation that hasn’t been solved yet. At this point I’d be willing to buy an extra box that sorts it out, if one exists.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bizarrely, I had lip sync issue all the time with my old Arcam/Monitor Audio setup - although it was easy to compensate with the amp as it applied sync per input and could be turned on/off via remote.

Since I changed to the Sonos that I bought to replace the old kit I think it's only occurred once and then not so much that it was unwatchable. The audio was far easier to EQ properly also.

It's worth mentioning that the original FireTV stick is awful for menu and audio issues, the newer 4k one is better (I assume it's because the CPU is faster?).

I was toying with the idea of buying the new cube thing as the processor is even faster on that one. It's also worth buying the adapter to have a wired connection instead of using wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Not true. I’d like to see proof of this admission.

Walking Dead is a culprit. I blame the Whisperers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app