closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Perpetual Calendar Day

Craftsman

Perpetual Calendar Day

Hi all,

Today's the day our calendar system does some recalibrating. We get an extra day and I will certainly spend some of it marvelling at the wonders of the perpetual calendar. Here's a great video from Lange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuOIc-Qnjg

And here's my JLC

What will you all be doing with your extra day?

TPT

Staying in looking at the weather
    My g-shock has changed to 2-29, mildly surprised as it's a cheapie with no radio signal link up or anything.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    found this list. Darn, now that has some lovely PC watches - I do like the Blancpain.

https://monochrome-watches.com/buyin...february-29th/

anyone got further PC? I only have an AC

Only a cheap Skey-Dweller AC in my collection.

I think as an only watch the PC would be a great additional complication though.
    It's just a matter of time...

I think I'm right in remembering that one of the forum's PCs is actually being serviced atm....

Sometime this evening the alarm clock on my phone will give me an alert. I'll move the date on 2 days and reset the alert for April 30. I so want an A or PC. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Great complication but needs to be your only daily wearer to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Please explain this sense that you are talking about with regards to this hobby :)

Master
    My Citizen Perpetual Calendar (well, the one that's set up properly!) says its the 29th today, which is a good start. But the real test will come tonight to see if it changes to the 1st!
    My other one is a day ahead of itself and it says its the 1st. Setting these up is an utter nightmare!!

Master
    This quartz Cartier has a PC until 2100. Sadly a battery change requires a reset which is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    Hi all,

Today's the day our calendar system does some recalibrating. We get an extra day and I will certainly spend some of it marvelling at the wonders of the perpetual calendar. Here's a great video from Lange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuOIc-Qnjg

And here's my JLC

What will you all be doing with your extra day?

TPT
    I had a JLC PC (the preceding model to yours)... beautiful thing that I let go in order to hang on to the GO PC, as having two of them seemed ridiculously excessive.

Ironically, my GO is in Glashutte at the moment, so I've missed out on this occasion!

Last edited by learningtofly; 1st March 2020 at 09:44.

Blog Entries
    For a perpetual calendar to work you have to wear it perpetually/daily, unless its quartz. Obviously this is not compulsory but it avoids resetting it again after being dormant

Applies to every mechanical watch unless it's on a watch winder - why single out the perpetual calendar?

Surprised not see more perpetual calendars pictured on this thread. If not now, when?

I’m pretty sure this one doesn’t count ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    found this list. Darn, now that has some lovely PC watches - I do like the Blancpain.

https://monochrome-watches.com/buyin...february-29th/

anyone got further PC? I only have an AC
    The AP out of that lot, by a country mile.

Blog Entries
    Because of the way the PC works!

All I am saying is

"For a perpetual calendar mechanical watch to work you have to wear it perpetually/daily, unless its quartz" - it doesn't matter if it's a PC or a two handed wrist watch - they will both stop if not worn or wound (in the case of manual wind).

This is the one I covet.

but have this for now:

Because of the way the PC works!

Agree with you. Why pay a big premium for a PC which is rarely worn and has to be set to see it change on 29 Feb.

Went with the RG yesterday....
    for when PC doesn’t need to cluttered with sub dials to get the date right ;p

And the easiest one to set the date on, forwards, backwards, at any time of day, with zero risk of a massive service bill as most PCs are fairly fragile, the Moser on the other hand is pretty robust.

Filmed this on last years feb 28th change - https://www.instagram.com/p/BubTRA3nMI3

And equally sad is I filmed leap year change this year - https://www.instagram.com/p/B6wZGVVHyVi

Last edited by endo; 1st March 2020 at 06:51.

My favorite. :)

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Filmed this on last years feb 28th change - https://www.instagram.com/p/BubTRA3nMI3

And equally sad is I filmed leap year change this year - https://www.instagram.com/p/B6wZGVVHyVi
    Enjoyed watching those, thanks for posting. The Moser is such a superb visual solution to the calendar complication. To my mind, this sort of innovation rather puts the like of Patek to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agree with you. Why pay a big premium for a PC which is rarely worn and has to be set to see it change on 29 Feb.
    Weird comment. Why pay a big premium for any watch? Any mechanical watch needs setting to show the correct date and time, so what's your point?

And the easiest one to set the date on, forwards, backwards, at any time of day, with zero risk of a massive service bill as most PCs are fairly fragile, the Moser on the other hand is pretty robust.

Probably the only execution of the PC that's more simple even than the GO. Gorgeous watch.

Beautiful watch. Barely noticeable as a perpetual calendar, so subtle.

[/QUOTE]

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Staying in looking at the weather
    My g-shock has changed to 2-29, mildly surprised as it's a cheapie with no radio signal link up or anything.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Yeah, mine to.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Damn & blast! Forgot I owned a perpetual with my acquired omega constellation. Oh well, always next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post

I agree that is gorgeous and rare.

To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't go double wristed with the other Moser ;) (the one I prefer actually!)

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Enjoyed watching those, thanks for posting. The Moser is such a superb visual solution to the calendar complication. To my mind, this sort of innovation rather puts the like of Patek to shame.
    Cheers :)

The real innovation is the idiotproofing, so guys like me can focus on wearing the watch and not the huge repair bill if it’s adjusted wrong :D

Unlike most PCs everything (bar the year corrector) is on the crown, so no faffing about worrying about which corrector you need to push, or worries if you happen to over shoot the date.
    It’s just a case of pulling crown and blazing through the days till you get to the right month.

First time I handled one I was changing the date so carefully, then the Moser rep demonstrated you can adjust at speed back and forth willy nilly. It’s pretty cool watching the “flash calendar” date change back and forth with the month.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't go double wristed with the other Moser ;) (the one I prefer actually!)
    Who says I didn’t :p
    It does lack a second time zone, so one wrist for local and one for home ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post

Here's mine
    Tim

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Perpetual calendar and +/- 6 seconds per year

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Perpetual calendar and +/- 6 seconds per year
    And despite that, today it's not 13. ! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    And despite that, today it's not 13. ! ;)
    Because the photograph wasn't taken today - a bit pointless as today isn't the 29th anyway.

But here's one that was taken on the 26th - and it's still within the +/- 6 seconds

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Bumping this thread, I've just purchased a PC so very keen to:

1. See if there are more PCs in people's collections
    2. See which of the original posters above are still in possession

I'm excited to get mine, but I know it will spend most of its life in a safe. That said, I hope to make it my staple for 'grown up' events

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    OP here and the JLC is still very much with me. I tend to wear it between mid December and early March, then tuck it away again. It’s actually in need of an eye-wateringly expensive service as one of the hands has gone out of sync so I’m planning a trip to town to drop it in to the boutique and hopefully try on the new Reverso Tribute Chrono which is all over my feed at the moment.

Congratulations on your new acquisition - the PC is a delightful, low key, grown up complication - satisfying rather than exciting - but not everything in this world needs to be exciting… I wish you many happy years with it.

I used to own a IWC perpetual calendar, a real work of art. Trouble is, there is nothing to see on 29 February. If anything, the three non-leap years are more interesting to watch.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I used to own a IWC perpetual calendar, a real work of art. Trouble is, there is nothing to see on 29 February. If anything, the three non-leap years are more interesting to watch.
    Il Destriero Scafusia?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Il Destriero Scafusia?
    Portuguese

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Portuguese

Very nice.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

My Mosers are still with me, had the RG serviced last year so got used to wearing the DLC Ti regularily.
    Stealthy idiot proof daily :)

My Mosers are still with me, had the RG serviced last year so got used to wearing the DLC Ti regularily.
    Stealthy idiot proof daily :)
    Love the Moser, I was tempted when I saw the one that Subdial has for sale.

Stealthy, elegant and a true statement to those 'who know'

Well, my PC is now with me!

I've gone for an Ebel, which uses an el primero base movement with a perpetual calendar module (exactly the same as the £85k VC Patrimony PC)

I was very tempted by an Audemars Piguet Quantieme Perpetual 4458, but couldn't quite strike a deal on one, but I don't think this Ebel is much of a compromise as it also adds a chronograph function and had a more contemporary case shape.

We will see how much wear it gets, I got my 16518 Daytona out of the safe too, quite funny as back in the early 90s, the Ebel was much more expensive than the Daytona. How times change.