closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SeaDweller nightmare service issue

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Good as new. I wouldn't care if it was a service case, I'd be happy with it. Even moreso if the insurance paid.
    If your not going to sell it a service case makes no difference, its only if you were to sell it the value is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    If your not going to sell it a service case makes no difference, its only if you were to sell it the value is affected.
    Yes, I've seen a service cases likened to Cat S cars. It will definitely fetch less than an original but if it's one to keep I wouldn't be bothered by it.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 7th September 2020 at 14:24.

Incidentally without me taking the bracelet off, do they stamp the case with the original serial?

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    Incidentally without me taking the bracelet off, do they stamp the case with the original serial?
    No. Replacement cases should be in the 4.4m series.

Master
    Your serial number will be on the service card.

Did it take 6 months to get the work done? Yikes!

Looking great now though.

Yep they got it wrong. The non return is only on precious metal. My (their) mistake.
    What?! That's robbery, they're happy to give back the steel ones but they have to keep the solid gold ones just in case it fuels the grey market? Jokers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Answering various points made in the this thread:

Service replacement cases are typically very easy to identify.

I would expect easily to sell such a watch as a 16600 with a replacement case (though not a "more vintage" piece) with full disclosure at no more than 10% discount from the price of a watch which had its original case. Our "bubble" of hard-line watch forum views would be completely alien to the majority of the public with better things to do.

Sometimes Rolex will agree to service work with a disclaimer that they do not guarantee water resistance.

If such a watch were in the hands of many in the trade, they would service it through independents or put it through auction where it would of course achieve a price from bidders ignorant of Rolex's wish to replace the case. However, had it been returned from Rolex with the work not done there would typically be a "work declined" coding inside the case-back. Yet another reason, anyway, why we should laugh at daft bidders paying more for watches at auction without warranty than they could pay for better watches from dealers, with a warranty.

As I said earlier in the thread, it is my clear impression and that of others that Rolex UK's service department appears, shall we say, to be finding a lot more work that needs doing these days.

As for professionalism etc, my eyes were opened by a staggering incident recently.

I had sent a 16610LV for service and a new bezel insert.

It returned with the work done, but a badly scratched bezel insert.

Rolex UK said that this watch could not have left them like that as their Quality Control would not have allowed it. Rather, they said, it simply must have happened when we opened it. They would fit another --- but at my cost.

I refused and told them that we had video of the parcel being opened and the scratch immediately evident.

They must have thought I was bluffing, maintained that the insert could not have left them with a scratch, and said that they would need to see the video.

No doubt to their surprise and some middle-management bum-clenching embarrassment, I sent them the video.

They rang and said that they now accepted my version of events. No meaningful apology for the bad job, the failed quality control, doubting my word (it's not as if we're unknown to them) and forcing me to go to the trouble of downloading and copying them CCTV footage.

I referred them to their previous comments and misplaced certainty that their QC would not have allowed such a damaged job to be packed and dispatched.

"In every other, recent case," I argued, "where you have rejected a client's claim that a watch was marked or damaged upon receipt, will you now reconsider whether your confidence in the Quality Control function was entirely misplaced? Will you now revisit those cases and consider reimbursing those clients who may have been charged to correct your own mistakes that you wouldn't acknowledge?" They would not comment.

For me, this was a disgusting disservice that poisoned a relationship with the brand I have always championed and whose products' virtues I still extol daily.

It's not for me to quote main agents here, but it is fair to say that many are increasingly unhappy with their lot and for a number of reasons. Service costs and "required work" are on the list. They cannot win; ask for jobs to be returned undone and it's apparently a black mark against watch allocations! Consider the Hugh Grant "Love Actually" press conference scene with the American President, as comparison may be valid.

There are some great individuals at Rolex UK, largely from the Henry Hudson era. Some observers may feel that they are overwhelmed, sadly, by a strange corporate hubris led by others.

Nothing ever stays the same. I will hope that things get better from here.
    Very good idea to photograph and video before service and during the unboxing...
    Mistakes do get made... its human nature but often the approach that of no quoting 'didnt happen with us, must have been done in your possession' and 'our QC wouldn't have allowed it to go out' is ridicoulous...

Sounds similar to my own previous experiences but lets not talk about that...

Just to edit... glad the OP got it sorted! Good effort for continuing to diving it! Enjoy :)
    Last edited by Liam1288; 7th September 2020 at 20:23.

Bump for this thread. Having not worn this since it was returned, I'm tempted to move it on (despite the MickP "never sell a rolex") after buying a rather fetching piece on here (the bimetal one)

Suggestions on approach?

I'm minded to go Watchfinder/C24 due to the service case so prob not a great idea to put on SC. I'll get a watchfinder quote shortly and post it here for a laugh.

Cheers
    Mike

PS or just leave it in the safe?

Master
    How do you specify on watch finder that it’s a service case?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    How do you specify on watch finder that it’s a service case?
    No need to surely. They will either recognise it or not. Highlighting a service case to them gives them the information to knock a few grand off their offer, whereas they won’t pass that info on to their buyer in the listing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Only the original owner knows the condition of the case, and if Rolex are suggesting the case needs to be replaced, then I'd make an appointment to attend the service centre to see exactly why. Obviously, they would and should, justify their reasons. If you are still not convinced, then a trusted independent would be the next step.
    Not sure much of the country is within such easy distance of RSC that you can just pop in and ask them what they see.

My recent 16600 service at RSC went fine. They wanted to replace the bezel for an 99.9% imperceptible mark and charged me £50 for retaining the old one to preserve it - though I expect that's par for the course with spare parts from many OEM now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Not sure much of the country is within such easy distance of RSC that you can just pop in and ask them what they see.

My recent 16600 service at RSC went fine. They wanted to replace the bezel for an 99.9% imperceptible mark and charged me £50 for retaining the old one to preserve it - though I expect that's par for the course with spare parts from many OEM now.
    I am now getting the impression that they are citing 'chipped crystal' for something only detectable under an electron microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I am now getting the impression that they are citing 'chipped crystal' for something only detectable under an electron microscope.
    Thing is they are high pressure watches so any minuscule mark/chip could cause the case or crystal to implode under a heavy shower!

Its all bit of a farce though, Rolex are scrapping totally fine components over that fact it could be compromised are 1200m, most of the watches with chips and dings would sit at 200m all day and your average SD wearer like me would be hard pressed to take it past the deep end of a swimming pool..

Well ! Interestingly watchfinder not interested as they “have too many already”!

look to be 3 on site so maybe getting a bit edgy about holding stock.

Back to the safe then

Master
    Well ! Interestingly watchfinder not interested as they “have too many already”!

Back to the safe then
    Seems to be a common response from WF on all sorts of watches. They would probably consider it if you offered it in trade against one of their overpriced stock

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant;[URL="tel:5976156"
    5976156[/URL]]Seems to be a common response from WF on all sorts of watches. They would probably consider it if you offered it in trade against one of their overpriced stock

Yes unsurprisingly they did suggest this

Master

Back to the safe then
    Does that mean grey prices coming down? :P

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Does that mean grey prices coming down? :P
    In any normal world one would think so, but this is land of the Rolex Bubble so probably not

Is a polished original case desired more than a genuine Rolex supplied new case ? I'm just trying to get my head around that, I suppose a lot depends on if your buying for the "Rolex investment" or as a long term wearer ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Is a polished original case desired more than a genuine Rolex supplied new case ? I'm just trying to get my head around that, I suppose a lot depends on if your buying for the "Rolex investment" or as a long term wearer ?
    Horses for courses. If you want a lovely looking watch and are happy to wear it for years on end then buying a watch in a brand new service case makes total sense. If you are in the vintage camp and want the watch to be period correct (meaning that you are likely to want to turn it back into cash sometime soon) then it is not for you.

No 16600 is an investment, simply an asset that can be turned back into cash fairly quickly with a suitable loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Horses for courses. If you want a lovely looking watch and are happy to wear it for years on end then buying a watch in a brand new service case makes total sense. If you are in the vintage camp and want the watch to be period correct (meaning that you are likely to want to turn it back into cash sometime soon) then it is not for you.

No 16600 is an investment, simply an asset that can be turned back into cash fairly quickly with a suitable loss.
    Thanks, thats what i assumed, for me at this stage of my life it would be "If you want a lovely looking watch and are happy to wear it for years on end then buying a watch in a brand new service case makes total sense."

As you say horses for courses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Handsome jeweller glances at the "Indiana Jones" 16600 Comex that he bought some years ago . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Handsome jeweller glances at the "Indiana Jones" 16600 Comex that he bought some years ago . . .

Not quite the same though is it, this discussion is around someone who has paid Rolex nearly £4k for a new service case and devalued the watch in process. The purchase of a Comex diver will secure the handsome jeweller fluttering eyes at every regatta for years to come - without going more than about 6 feet under water