closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you trade a speedy sapphire sandwich for a 39.5mm Planet Ocean?

Would you trade a speedy sapphire sandwich for a 39.5mm Planet Ocean?

As per the title, I am thinking about getting a 39.5mm PO and trading my as-new speedy pro sapphire sandwich for it...

Would you do the trade? assuming a straight trade with no extra money paid or received?

On the one hand the speedy is more classic and the PO is more rugged....

This would be my beater as I already have a ceramic Daytona, the new BLNR and a hulk...

And I don’t need both - one in, one out...

Would you trade a speedy sapphire sandwich for a 39.5mm Planet Ocean?

And I don’t want a watch as big as the SMP diver, so 42mm is too big for my 17cm wrist... but the speedy looks OK as the bezel is actually only 40mm, which is why I am considering the 39.5mm PO

Craftsman

speedy

I looked at the Speedy sapphire at the start of this year and really enjoyed the look of both the sapphire on front and back. Purists always say Hesalite for a Speedmaster but the sapphire sandwich ticked the same boxes for me. Many have said and i would reiterate that the lack of micro adjustment on the clasp is a major distraction and i myself found it impossible to get a comfortable fit for all day wear, something you may have to consider but if the Speedy is comfortable, that would be my choice in the watch box.
    Last edited by Flasher; 28th February 2020 at 16:27. Reason: error

Given your other watches, no, I'd keep the Speedy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would keep the speedy.

Master
    At the moment you have 2 divers, 2 Chronos. The trade would make it 3 divers, 1 Chrono.

PO is a better daily for most, I'd reckon, than the speedy, but if you're a desk Johnny like me, not much in it.

Hard call tbh. The PO would comfortably spare your use of hulk and Blnr. But doesn't the speedy spare your use of Daytona?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nothing I have ever owned has come close, all things considered, to a classic Speedmaster

It looks and wears great, has a classic neutral design, doesn’t have a random and useless date window, doesn’t cost the earth (moon?), has fantastic history, and works well on pretty much any strap you throw on it.

It’s also very “liquid”. You could sell it in hours if you needed to raise cash, unlike a PO. Just look at the number of POs that end up unsold for weeks on sales corner. By no means a bad watch, on the contrary. Just not as desirable (ultimately) as a Speedmaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Keep the Speedy...

Master
    Neither are hard to obtain watches. Just pick the watch you actually want. Do you have a beater should you keep the speedmaster?

Yes, if you're looking for a 'beater'. PO will suit that role a lot better. Ideally though, have both.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Neither are hard to obtain watches. Just pick the watch you actually want. Do you have a beater should you keep the speedmaster?
    No other beater, but I wouldn’t keep the Speedmaster if it’s not a beater as I would never wear it over my Daytona anyway, so no real use for it in that scenario tbh...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    No other beater, but I wouldn’t keep the Speedmaster if it’s not a beater as I would never wear it over my Daytona anyway, so no real use for it in that scenario tbh...
    In which case the question is simply should you keep the speedmaster, ragradleas if what replaces it. You've answered that question.

So whether you just sell it for cash, or trade for something else, clearly there is no need for the speedmaster. Unless you insist on owning one because as collectors we are told we ought to. I'd love to trade my own speedmaster pro in for a bb58. I'd rather have the watch I want to wear than a watch I'm told I ought to have in my collection.

I'd keep the Speedy.

The PO is as thick as a grilled cheese sandwich.

Master
    No and Never! Maybe if the PO was larger but that's a different thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    And I don’t want a watch as big as the SMP diver, so 42mm is too big for my 17cm wrist... but the speedy looks OK as the bezel is actually only 40mm, which is why I am considering the 39.5mm PO
    I wouldn’t discount the 42mm SMP. I found when I owned a standard speedy that it wore a bit big on my 17mm wrist, but now owning the new SMP I think it wears smaller and fits much better. I think it’s to do with the difference between the lug shapes, and actually think the lug-to-lug of the two might be the same, or at least close. Plus a big plus for me is the SMP is thinner and the scalloped bezel is less likely to catch on sleeves or bag straps due to the downward slope of it.

Saying that I’m considering flipping the SMP for a speedy, but that’s a different story!...

Master
    I would keep the Speedy as I prefer it to any of the other watches in your post.

Blog Entries
    PO for my choice, tough as a tough thing and wear really nice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I have the sandwich and am about to put my 2500 PO up for sale. It's a great watch but the speedy is a classic. Give your collection, do you need another diver?

I prefer the 39.5po. It’s really quite a stunning watch

Tough choice. I’m a fan of both but currently own neither, so everything I know and say is just based on trying on both watches. Both the exact ones you’ve mentioned and other opinions.

For daily wear I’d opt for the PO. If only as the daily winding thing can be a bit of a bind. It’s a tough old thing too. Whereas the Speedy’s that I’ve tried have felt a little more delicate.

I know you’ve specified interest in the 39.5mm version of the PO only but I wouldn’t discount the larger version if I was you. I have a slightly smaller wrist and find the full size 3-hander to fit me really well. Better than the new SMP actually, which just looks all wrong on me. I was surprised at the first of those things and massively disappointed at the second, as I really wanted to like and purchase an SMP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    As a previous owner of a 39.5mm planet ocean my recommendation would be against getting it.

It is a very nice watch, but it's just so chubby, it looked absolutely ridiculous on my wrist. Even if the larger model overhangs slightly I think it would look significantly better!

Bad proportions and a raised caseback made it wear terribly, would not recommend.