closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Dreadnought - accuracy

My Dreadnought - accuracy

After a long search, I managed to get myself a PRS2 exactly a month ago (thanks again Walter!), and being a sad bast*rd, I've been timing it twice daily (05:30 and 22:30) since then. On the first day, it lost 4 seconds (probably at the shock of being rudely awoken to a life of regular wear), but it soon settled down, and since then it has either held time, or varied by only +1 or -1 second every 24 hours. So, after exacly 30 days, the net variation (timed against our Atomic clocks) is ..... NIL!! I know it's a discontinued model, but do you think a complaint is in order - after all, if I'm pratting about timing the thing, the least it could do is show some sort of error, don't you think?? :D :D :D

Re: My Dreadnought - accuracy

It is not JUST a discontinued model, it is a limited edition watch that has had a lot of bastard watches being created after it..(some of them selling for thousands dollars). Incredible accuracy, anyway......... :mrgreen: I think the watch was tuned by Dornbluth.....

Short of my "SuperQuartz's" I think my Dreadnought is the most consistently accurate watch of all I've got.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

One of them was a perfect zero in all five positions but I can't remember which one.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Glad to hear it's ticking over nicely, John! Wear it in good health!

Speaking about Dreadnoughts. These things are about what, 5 years old now? Time for service? Where would one send such a beast for the tender care befitting such an iconic watch? I have no idea. I'm in the US so sending to Germany to Fricker seems daunting, and not even sure if they would handle such a "service" type of thing. I'm not sure who in the US to trust. I mean, not only do you want whoever to take care in taking it apart and servicing, but putting it together and making sure it's watertight....

A full service type of shop might be nice to restore the finish and such.... Can you tell it's bothering me?

That being said it still keeps pretty good time for a 5 year old watch. I just set mine to NIST.GOV so I'll see tomorrow what it reads. I suspect it should run a bit fast but nothing horrible. I'm actually wearing mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    After a long search, I managed to get myself a PRS2 exactly a month ago (thanks again Walter!), and being a sad bast*rd, I've been timing it twice daily (05:30 and 22:30) since then. On the first day, it lost 4 seconds (probably at the shock of being rudely awoken to a life of regular wear), but it soon settled down, and since then it has either held time, or varied by only +1 or -1 second every 24 hours. So, after exacly 30 days, the net variation (timed against our Atomic clocks) is ..... NIL!! I know it's a discontinued model, but do you think a complaint is in order - after all, if I'm pratting about timing the thing, the least it could do is show some sort of error, don't you think?? :D :D :D

what about night time? Is it on your wrist or off? If off on what possition?:)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    Speaking about Dreadnoughts. These things are about what, 5 years old now? Time for service? Where would one send such a beast for the tender care befitting such an iconic watch? I have no idea. I'm in the US so sending to Germany to Fricker seems daunting, and not even sure if they would handle such a "service" type of thing. I'm not sure who in the US to trust. I mean, not only do you want whoever to take care in taking it apart and servicing, but putting it together and making sure it's watertight....

A full service type of shop might be nice to restore the finish and such.... Can you tell it's bothering me?

That being said it still keeps pretty good time for a 5 year old watch. I just set mine to NIST.GOV so I'll see tomorrow what it reads. I suspect it should run a bit fast but nothing horrible. I'm actually wearing mine now.
    Why get it serviced if its running fine, if it aint broke....

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR

what about night time? Is it on your wrist or off? If off on what possition?:)
    Sometimes on, sometimes off. When I take it off, I leave it either dial up or crown down.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Glad to hear it's ticking over nicely, John! Wear it in good health!
    Thanks Walter, it's a great watch - well worth the 4 years plus wait to get hold of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas
    Well, they do have 3-5 year service intervals for automatic watches, as a recommendation. You generally have maintenance done to your car before it starts running badly, no?

Hell of a nice catch. I don't know what the going rate for one is right now, but I did read a story at watchuseek about a trade for a Seadweller a few months back.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by r.e.c.
    Hell of a nice catch. I don't know what the going rate for one is right now, but I did read a story at watchuseek about a trade for a Seadweller a few months back.
    :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas
    Well, they do have 3-5 year service intervals for automatic watches, as a recommendation. You generally have maintenance done to your car before it starts running badly, no?
    Yes I've heard that as well, but I suspect that "they" are the people who makes money doing these services every 3-5 years :roll:

Besides I rely on my car working, therefore it gets serviced regularly, if one of my watches starts to loose or gain time, no big deal I'll get it serviced.

But hey don't take my word for it, if you feel better having it done every 3-5 years, then of course you should do so :)

Thomas

Journeyman

I recently sent my Dreadnought to Fricker for service from the USA. No problem. Used USPS, got it shipped, repaired and returned in four weeks.

As for servicing, it depends on how much you wear the watch. For a daily wear watch, I recommend cleaning and oiling every 3-4 years. Always a good idea to replace the rings and seals. It is really the oil and grease that gets dust and particles over time that causes the most damage. The watch may be running fine, and will run fine for a long time, but the damage that occurs from the contaminated lubricants will normally require jewels and stems to be replaced. It is like a car engine. You can drive it for years without replacing the oil. You can also rebuilt it at 100K miles. Otherwise change the oil and extend the overall life.

DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by ke6507

I recently sent my Dreadnought to Fricker for service from the USA. No problem. Used USPS, got it shipped, repaired and returned in four weeks.

As for servicing, it depends on how much you wear the watch. For a daily wear watch, I recommend cleaning and oiling every 3-4 years. Always a good idea to replace the rings and seals. It is really the oil and grease that gets dust and particles over time that causes the most damage. The watch may be running fine, and will run fine for a long time, but the damage that occurs from the contaminated lubricants will normally require jewels and stems to be replaced. It is like a car engine. You can drive it for years without replacing the oil. You can also rebuilt it at 100K miles. Otherwise change the oil and extend the overall life.

DaveB
    May I ask how much the service cost?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

R
    PM Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by ke6507
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

R
    PM Sent.
    May I ask too?

Interesting analogy, the car one. With so many cheap manual/auto watches on sale I'd guess most of those buyers would baulk at paying more than the watch cost to have it serviced. They'll just be shoved to the back of a drawer and a new one bought.