closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Timex Automatic

Blog Entries

New Timex Automatic

A new automatic from Timex, 100m water resist and rather obvious styling. Could it be the ideal beater?

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Ideal beater? Are we now ok with wearing such boring watches?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Perhaps not to your taste although it is a very popular style I think you'll find! What would you suggest as being more exciting?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Perhaps not to your taste although it is a very popular style I think you'll find! What would you suggest as being more exciting?
    What price range are we looking at? Seiko 5 range (I like the new ones) or have Timex made them more expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these are going for about £230. My experience with these Timex sports designs is they are a bit style over substance - nondescript noisy movement, weak lume, weak water resistance. For less money you could pick up an Orient Ray or Mako that has 200m WR, in house movement and great lume - and is tough enough to actually be beaten up. Depending on what your beater budget is, you could add £100 to the cost and get a Steinhart diver with ETA, sapphire crystal, quality bracelet, 300m WR etc. I usually buy a summer beater every year for outdoor activities, holidays etc. and I don’t think I’d consider one of these above those I’ve just mentioned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I think these are going for about £230. My experience with these Timex sports designs is they are a bit style over substance - nondescript noisy movement, weak lume, weak water resistance. For less money you could pick up an Orient Ray or Mako that has 200m WR, in house movement and great lume - and is tough enough to actually be beaten up. Depending on what your beater budget is, you could add £100 to the cost and get a Steinhart diver with ETA, sapphire crystal, quality bracelet, 300m WR etc. I usually buy a summer beater every year for outdoor activities, holidays etc. and I don’t think I’d consider one of these above those I’ve just mentioned.
    I pretty much agree with what you say about the other makes, but wonder if the average non-wis buyer would see the alternatives. Or would they think Timex was an acceptable brand, and at the price (£230) something they could likely readily afford?

For half or less of that price there's a huge range/variety of Vostoks, 200m WR, interesting history and engineering solutions, as beaters they're hard to beat.

Alright, crabby. I think it's quite handsome - I like the thoughtful detail on the hour hand in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Alright, crabby. I think it's quite handsome - I like the thoughtful detail on the hour hand in particular.
    It only looks nice when the circle lines up appropriately, it will be infuriating for the rest of the time! And I stick by my statement - boring. Plus as mentioned, Timex are notorious to cutting corners. Some of the other suggestions here are great and I'd still choose one of the newer Seiko 5 over these.

I pretty much agree with what you say about the other makes, but wonder if the average non-wis buyer would see the alternatives. Or would they think Timex was an acceptable brand, and at the price (£230) something they could likely readily afford?
    I think the average guy on the street (non WIS) would probably regard Timex as a brand associated with childhood and would be reluctant to spend that amount of money. I think also some of the brands mentioned here like Steinhart are in the main an on line brand and maybe the casual shopper would rather go into a shop and try something on.

So the carnival is over. Now Timex is beginning to look like the Timex of old. Cheap and nasty.

Are we now ok with wearing such boring watches?
    Seiko ...
    You are joking, right?

---

To reply to OP: at this price range most people (me too) buy with their eyes, and the Timex designs are fairly on-point with some broad watch design trends, wheras the usual Suspects from Chi... er... Viet... er... Kor... er... Japan - well they're at the bottom of the rut they carved for themselves in the 1970s and 1980s designwise - which is fine if you're in the same vintage groove - or old - but isn't for everyone. Obviously if you're fashion-led (which usually equates to loud bling that falls-apart conveniently-often), well you're up to your armpits in Invictas, Michael Kors, Fossil, Armani, Lotus, Boss, Diesel, Ferrari, Ted Baker, Superdry &c. &c. ad naus. Then for anyone who can be bothered to hunt them out and who wants to go a little further left-of-field, you've got literally hundreds of nano- and micro-brands, almost all competing for the same broad spend.

One man's wealth-of-riches, is another man's disease-filled ditches...

A new automatic from Timex, 100m water resist and rather obvious styling. Could it be the ideal beater?

It’s a no from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for me I'm afraid, it's a bit dull. I'd much rather a G Shock at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    You are joking, right?

Seiko are not boring. Note - nowhere have I said Timex are either, I have been specific about the designs, so don't twist my words. The new Seiko 5 has something for everyone. If you think these boring, then fine.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ts-srpd-review

Master

I'd say no. Would be interested to see what it costs, though.

OK just found out https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...tomatic-watch/

$260. I would say Casio and Seiko alternatives for a similar price are a better bet for ideal beater status, for me certainly anyway.

Seiko are not boring. Note - nowhere have I said Timex are either, I have been specific about the designs, so don't twist my words. The new Seiko 5 has something for everyone. If you think these boring, then fine.

Seiko's dive watch designs are intensely boring by virtue of the fact they are the same formula, repeated endlessly for decades on end. And "Seiko" is boring because it's the perennial answer to every question that isn't otherwise answered with "Rolex". There's no question that they're OK-to-downright-Good watches, just in every way, predictable.

And no-one is "twisting" your words - that's a direct quote. You wrote that. Twice. I don't even particularly disagree - Timex don't exactly take a lot of chances designwise, occasional neon crystal aside, but at least they do actually vary the formula from time-to-time.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Seiko's dive watch designs are intensely boring by virtue of the fact they are the same formula, repeated endlessly for decades on end. And "Seiko" is boring because it's the perennial answer to every question that isn't otherwise answered with "Rolex". There's no question that they're OK-to-downright-Good watches, just in every way, predictable.

And no-one is "twisting" your words - that's a direct quote. You wrote that. Twice. I don't even particularly disagree - Timex don't exactly take a lot of chances designwise, occasional neon crystal aside, but at least they do actually vary the formula from time-to-time.
    I specifically mentioned "Seiko 5" range of watches, not the brand Seiko. And Seiko encompasses more than dive watches. Actually Seiko 5 is really not positioned as a dive watch - that is reserved for the Turtle because it lacks things like a screw down crown. It is supposed to be more 'sporty' watches. That was why I chose it as an alternative to this Timex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    So the carnival is over. Now Timex is beginning to look like the Timex of old. Cheap and nasty.
    Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get rid of the crown guards, the cyclops and the pointless 24hr numbering, then halve the price and I might look twice.

Master
    I like it. One person's boring is another person's classical. Nice vintage vibe, hour hand is a nice design queue, Miyota movement should be reliable. I wouldn't buy one ( mineral glass, display case back, but mainly size) but if I was given one I'd wear it.

Blog Entries

To be honest 3 or 4 of the watches in that picture look like pretty similar designs to the Timex which you said was boring!
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 27th February 2020 at 19:18.

Timex are cleverly utilising cool vintage vibes and styles both from their own back catalogue and..ahem..others. This is no different, but I'd save £120-150 and buy their visually very very similar quartz version as a beater.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk