closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letting red wine ‘breath’. Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I find one of these magic decanters / aerators really does boost the flavour of most decent red wines

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gobesty-Mag...809093&sr=8-13

and they are cheap.
    Never knew such a thing existed. Ordered one on Amazon yesterday, based on your recommendation (and others in the thread) and it arrived today.

Both Mrs K and myself think that it has improved the box (I know, I know) of Merlot that's currently open, but we were too impatient to try the gadget to actually perform a blind test. That will follow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Never knew such a thing existed. Ordered one on Amazon yesterday, based on your recommendation (and others in the thread) and it arrived today.

Both Mrs K and myself think that it has improved the box (I know, I know) of Merlot that's currently open, but we were too impatient to try the gadget to actually perform a blind test. That will follow.

I'm about to order one now. My brother-in-law swears by them and I've drank more than a few good bottles of red at his house. I'll see what it does for my more middle of the range wines.

I reckon a good elevated glugging pour into a large bourdeux glass and a good swirl is enough to air it.

It certainly freshens it up and livens it anyway.

Master
    Open bottle, decant into belly, after the last drop you can't savor the flavor any more. Go to bed all done.

Agree with the general consensus on here, letting it breathe definitely won't do it any harm. It's all just about getting a bit of air into the wine, so as a post above says decanting is good but otherwise, just use a nice big wine glass!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Open bottle, decant into belly, after the last drop you can't savor the flavor any more. Go to bed all alone.
    FTFY
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I always decant now, mostly as it's part of the ceremony of opening for me. I favour quality these days over quantity as well so would rather do it to enjoy/enhance than just glug away. I've got a couple of bottles that are getting on a bit now and will need decanting while some of the younger (still 5 plus years) would also benefit. Not through choice but I don't tend to have too much that is under 5 years. Probably should look at some of the newer wines to be honest as I've no doubt I'm missing out. Wasn't actively going that way but reducing the amount that I buy and drinking bottles I already have has led to this.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Open bottle, decant into belly, after the last drop you can't savor the flavor any more. Go to bed all done.
    This is the preferred 'blind drunk' testing method.

Here’s a question - how do people find it best to clean their decanters?

Food grade ball bearings and fairy, or am I missing a trick?

Master
    I tried my magic decanter at the weekend. I'm not sure, but my wife thought there was a big difference.

Red wine always tastes better after a bit of time to 'breath' in my view, but some need less time than others (some of course still tastes like vinegar, but after the second litre, who cares! )

Generally, though, ours just gets poured into the glasses and allowed to 'rest' for a while before drinking.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Do you bother? Should you bother? Does it improve the taste? If you pay an exorbitant price for a bottle in a restaurant it’s opened in front of you so can I assume the practice is a waste of time and little more than pretentious nonsense.

we do let it breath and notice the differences.

I decant and during the central heating season leave it sitting on a warm radiator for a short while (in our house its usually too cold straight from the bottle). A friend swears that 30 seconds in the microwave does wonders for Shiraz.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 5th March 2020 at 21:06.

Craftsman

Letting red wine ‘breath’. Yes or no?

I use a small wine funnel with a mesh filter to remove sediment. I pour from the bottle into a clean empty bottle via the filter and then back into the original. It’s a matter of judgement how long in advance you need to do this. For most decent wines about an hour is OK. But I wouldn’t leave an older wine (say 20+ years) for any length of time - they can fade quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I use a small wine funnel with a mesh filter to remove sediment. I pour from the bottle into a clean empty bottle via the filter and then back into the original. It’s a matter of judgement how long in advance you need to do this. For most decent wines about an hour is OK. But I wouldn’t leave an older wine (say 20+ years) for any length of time - they can fade quite quickly.
    I have used a paper coffee filter before, as some sediment is finer than mesh.

But - for my good wines - I'll remove it from the wine cooler 2-3 days ahead, and stand upright. (the wine, not me)

Open it 3hrs ahead of the meal, and decant carefully into a decanter, not being afraid to leave an inch or so in the bottle.

I always pour the dregs into the sink to see how much throw-off there is. Usually the bottle has marks on the inside too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Open it 3hrs ahead of the meal, and decant carefully into a decanter, not being afraid to leave an inch or so in the bottle.
    That last inch goes in the gravy......

Master
    It's only those who are over compensating who argue the irrelevance of the extra inch.