closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko - purchasing

Craftsman

Grand Seiko - purchasing

I have been considering a dress watch for some time now for everyday office wear. I was convinced that a JLC watch from the 'Master' range with a silver face was going to be the one for me.

However, I recently saw an advert for the Grand Seiko SBGK007 from the Elegance range. I managed to drop into the GS pop up store in Burlington Arcade this week and tried one on and I am smitten. Great size, fantastic detail and beautifully finished.

It is a brand that I have seen talked about on here before, but I don't know anything about pricing/discounts or the dynamics of the second hand market for these thinner, dress watches.

It would be an expensive watch for me (c£6,000) and I wondered where people have generally been buying Grand Seiko's from (is it only the boutique?) and is it a case of "no discounts" and, second hand, do they lose money and if so, where do you think prices will settle for a nice used example of this watch.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Master
    I’ve yet to see one other than in pics but I can see the similar characteristics between this and the JLCs you’ve mentioned.

Mine have been bought privately (from here) and from a US dealer, where the equivalent price is lower and discounts are available. Worth shopping around to see if it might work out cheaper even taking VAT etc at point of entry into account.. I’ve not bought from the Burlington boutique but heard discounts of 10 or even 15% mentioned, but that will likely depend on how in-demand that particular model is.

I doubt the resale for GS would be worse than for JLC either?

Good luck, and post pictures!

Supply is generally low so i found it hard to get my SBGK005, let alone at a price I thought it was a no brainer at

I’d say take your time if it’s not a limited edition, and I’m sure there will be other GS that catch your eye later this year post Basel (if it happens)

If you do find your GS on the secondary market, move fast. There is enough demand at 5-15% discount to clear the market on most models (esp limited or region restricted editions)

Jura offer 0% finance on popular models, but I’ve not seen discounts. Watchfinder seldom has hot models. Chrono24 gives you options but rarely UK based so adds a level of complexity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My local AD can do 20% on a lot of GS. I'm happy to ask if that helps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    I have been considering a dress watch for some time now for everyday office wear. I was convinced that a JLC watch from the 'Master' range with a silver face was going to be the one for me.

However, I recently saw an advert for the Grand Seiko SBGK007 from the Elegance range. I managed to drop into the GS pop up store in Burlington Arcade this week and tried one on and I am smitten. Great size, fantastic detail and beautifully finished.

It is a brand that I have seen talked about on here before, but I don't know anything about pricing/discounts or the dynamics of the second hand market for these thinner, dress watches.

It would be an expensive watch for me (c£6,000) and I wondered where people have generally been buying Grand Seiko's from (is it only the boutique?) and is it a case of "no discounts" and, second hand, do they lose money and if so, where do you think prices will settle for a nice used example of this watch.

Thanks in advance,
    James
    A Grand Seiko has been on my list for a while. Was looking at Jura watches and this popped up.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...00-gmt-sbgj201

I personally. don't like the power reserve indicator, IF, I buy one it will be this!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    A Grand Seiko has been on my list for a while. Was looking at Jura watches and this popped up.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...00-gmt-sbgj201

I personally. don't like the power reserve indicator, IF, I buy one it will be this!
    There’s a GS also sans power reserve indicator for similar money, that - dare I say it - is so much classier, not to mention the rarity:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Anniversary-LE

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    There’s a GS also sans power reserve indicator for similar money, that - dare I say it - is so much classier, not to mention the rarity:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Anniversary-LE
    Nice piece, but a tad diddy in size. Probably why it is unsold, second time around.

Master
    I have two GS. Both bought second hand, both at c. 60% of the RRP. Both were also perfect. My Snowflake still had its stickers on it.

Neither are perfect now though because I wear them a lot

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

A couple of weeks ago the Fraser Hart near St Paul's had a few LE GSs, including the SBGK005

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    I have two GS. Both bought second hand, both at c. 60% of the RRP. Both were also perfect. My Snowflake still had its stickers on it.

60% off RRP is strong, even for second hand. Exceptional buy at that price point, so much watch

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    60% off RRP is strong, even for second hand. Exceptional buy at that price point, so much watch

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post

Parabola said 60% OF the RRP, not 60% OFF the RRP.

Thats a big difference, Thats said 40% OFF RRP is still a good deal for a GS
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I looked at GS for the first time this week, the “Skyflake”, SBGJ 201 GMT, and a steel cased 41mm Spring Drive, and was absolutely blown away by the quality. I was so impressed that I’m undoubtedly going to get one, although I need to see a Snowflake in the metal to decide.

When I asked about potential discount, it was a pretty firm “No”. Now deep discounts hurt residuals long term, however it was pretty sobering to add a SBGA211 Snowflake to my Chrono24 collection at RRP, and then see how it was valued.

I’m not sure that I’m being realistic, but I would probably want 15-20% off what is a hot model. Jura do seem to do this from time to time

Dave

Craftsman
    There was another similar thread last week I think. I was looking for a snowflake so was looking around.

I got a good price in the end (slightly over 20% off RRP) over Chrono24 but I'm having to wait for a bit which is fine with me.

I tried the boutique, WoS, Chisholm Hunter and Jura and they were not budging from RRP.

Master
    Watches of Mayfair seem to offer competitive pricing on some models, and ever time I visit the Jura site I get a pop-up window offering 10% off for new customers (even though I am not).

Ant

Craftsman
    Dominic Hackett ( Dom) did me a good deal on an SBGA231 last year, i think it was around 20% off or close to it. Well worth contacting him to see if he can get hold of a new one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Watches of Mayfair seem to offer competitive pricing on some models, and ever time I visit the Jura site I get a pop-up window offering 10% off for new customers (even though I am not).

Ant
    Indeed. I'm hovering over a SBGN005 GMT at £2.3k.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Good point!

Craftsman
    Thanks all for the replies, it is great to hear the feedback from folk who have been through the purchase process and “spend anxiety”!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Yes this is correct. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

Being more precise, I paid around 45% less than RRP for one watch (unrepeatable bargain) and 35% less for the other (relatively common in the used market)

AMJ in Newark could be worth a call...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Apologies for the bump but its not that long ago, I find myself in the market for a Snowflake so does same advice apply ? I have seen them on Chrono24 for about £4.8k but perhaps it might be better holding out for a vat drop

Might drop Dom @ Hackett a line in the meantime

For an easy 15% no haggle deal AMJ watches, stick the snowflake in the basket, where it says discount code click there and type AMJ15. That's £4,590 straight off the bat down from £5,400. Doubtful you will do that much better

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    For an easy 15% no haggle deal AMJ watches, stick the snowflake in the basket, where it says discount code click there and type AMJ15. That's £4,590 straight off the bat down from £5,400. Doubtful you will do that much better
    That would be great, many thanks

Craftsman
    Bought mine from Dom ( Dominic)at Hackett watches after people on here pointed my in his direction. Im sure it was around 20% discount.
    Last edited by markyboy.1967; 24th June 2020 at 16:59.

Craftsman
    That's a pretty good deal. When this thread started you could have got 20% in a few places but I can't see anything like that around now.

I bought mine through Montredo by the way, but doesn't look like they offer them anymore.

Don't expect them to hold their value like a Rolex, as you will lose money if you decide to sell on.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Don't expect them to hold their value like a Rolex, as you will lose money if you decide to sell on.
    That would be any watch except a Rolex or SS Patek. GS actually holds value pretty well and if the OP gets 15% or more off he will be protected from the bulk of depreciation as a Snowflake will go for around £3800 on SC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    True for the vast majority of watches. It's jewellery and I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't consider how much her earrings will go for on the "used earring" market once the novelty wears off.

Also depends on the model, some of the limited run models hold value very well but there does seem to be an increasing variety of them. Buy at the right price (new or pre-owned) and GS are great value for money for the quality and could be viewed comparable value for money with many other brands with a view to re-sale.

Ant

That would be any watch except a Rolex or SS Patek. GS actually holds value pretty well and if the OP gets 15% or more off he will be protected from the bulk of depreciation as a Snowflake will go for around £3800 on SC
    That's actually not that bad. Just going off my own experience. I bought full price though, at 5500 and sold at 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    True for the vast majority of watches. It's jewellery and I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't consider how much her earrings will go for on the "used earring" market once the novelty wears off.

Ant
    The OP asked the question, and as nobody else answered I thought I'd chime in. He could have thought it would hold value like a Rolex.

P.S. What have your wife's earrings got to do with anything
    Last edited by RAFF; 25th June 2020 at 09:52.

Craftsman
    Not everyone cares about resale values or Rolex

Indeed. I'm one of them, but he asked the question.

Grand Seiko - purchasing

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    That's a pretty good deal. When this thread started you could have got 20% in a few places but I can't see anything like that around now.

I bought mine through Montredo by the way, but doesn't look like they offer them anymore.
    James porter and sons have 15% off a decent range of GS, I am going to go for a SBGA229 I think.

Pulling the trigger tomorrow after a bit more negotiations.

https://www.james-porter.co.uk/grand...-sbga211g.html

Correction, waited until today and my other half has been put at risk so the trigger pulling will go on the back burner.

I had negotiated 22% discount.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by TonyAFC8; 29th June 2020 at 13:01.