closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone else get put off by the 007 connection with omega seamaster

Have Doxa ever done a Dirk Pitt special edition?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Have Doxa ever done a Dirk Pitt special edition?
    Yes but didn’t sell anywhere near the Edition amount, I also didn’t buy that one lol

You may notice -or not- that this discussion isn't very different from the one we had a few weeks ago regarding Bremont's unsubstantiated history: it's all about marketing, and most importantly it's not directed at us. Not that we are immune to marketing, just that we don't need it to know about the brand and the watches.
    So even if it puts off half of the WIS population, it is a fraction of the numbers who will discover the Seamaster through that connection, and end up buying one.

For the record, EON production went to see Omega for Goldeneye (I couldn't remember the first Omega-JB association, but a kind member helped me out me a few days ago), asking them if they could supply a watch. Their interlocutor turned them down, saying that he wouldn't supply a free watch. He also added, with a large smile, that he was, however, prepared to create a genuine partnership with the JB franchise.
    The rest is history. The man was Jean-Claude Biver.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Yes but didn’t sell anywhere near the Edition amount, I also didn’t buy that one lol
    Rolax = Comex,
    Doxa=NUMA,
    Omega =007.

I'm strangely attracted to the idea of a Doxa with NUMA, written discreetly on the dial.
    Last edited by number2; 28th February 2020 at 11:03.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Normally I poo-poo the Bond thing, especially as it's paid advertising but I do happen to really like this one. I know I shouldn't but I do, and I don't even usually like the 300m Seamasters.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    James Bond edition. As worn by........James Bond.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-S...RoC2asQAvD_BwE

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    I wouldn't buy a watch with 007 written on it. Omega have a predisposition for linking their watches to themes, and that is their marketing strategy. I have not problem with that. The standard Seamasters are nice watches.

But when I was a lad, I always liked the watch Roger Moore wore in his first two bond films.

As a young bloke, I decided to find out what it was, and then when I went to get a Submariner, nearly fainted at the price. That was my first baptism into the prices of luxury watches.

The rest is history.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Normally I poo-poo the Bond thing, especially as it's paid advertising but I do happen to really like this one. I know I shouldn't but I do, and I don't even usually like the 300m Seamasters.
    To be honest without the little arrow thingy I think it's a decent looking, quality watch.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    NASA didn't care much about the watch the astranauts wore, as it wasn't mission critical or safety related (thay have stated this). They tested only a handful of different watches, with one sample of each, and put this testing in the charge of a junior engineer who knew nothing about watches. At least two Speedmasters completely failed on lunar missions, in one case it was the only piece of hardware to do so which is amazing. But Omega has convinced millions that the watches were an important part of "the greatest feat of human endeavor" when it truly was less important than the boots they wore. Omega has never been able to sell the watches by themselves without loading them with marketing hype, and the whole "James Bond's watch" product placement endeavor is the ultimate example. Skelton hands and a "manual" He valve are perfect examples of why these never were good dive watches (I've been diivng for 40 years) but aimed as wardrobe enhancement devices. There's a reason why Omega is part of the Swatch group, too.
    NASA tested the watches sent to them by the watch industry..... not Omegas fault that Rolex et al didn't have a watch that could pass the tests.

To be honest without the little arrow thingy I think it's a decent looking, quality watch.
    A bit ironic that the broad arrow would expose JB as a secret agent, when the watch would look better without
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    As we all know, bond originally wore a rolex, but then he was such a bad ass spy the swatch group decided to sponsor him and because he was a lowly paid civil servant with a unsustainable hedonistic lifestyle, he took up the free omega and sold his sub at a fraction of what its worth today.

I like the pheon on the dial but like the lume, it's faux, as unless I'm wrong (and happy to be be proved so) I don't believe the 300M Seamaster was ever UK Govt issue. The price is extortionate! £7.4K RRP which is nearly double the standard bracletted Seamaster. That is taking the p***!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I like the pheon on the dial but like the lume, it's faux, as unless I'm wrong (and happy to be be proved so) I don't believe the 300M Seamaster was ever UK Govt issue. The price is extortionate! £7.4K RRP which is nearly double the standard bracletted Seamaster. That is taking the p***!
    Omega pricing - 2006 for steel 41mm seamaster = £2,470 for co-axial model on https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/p...ema/james-bond

2020 current steel on steel = £4,170

2006 Planet Ocean "big size" = £2700

2020 Planet Ocean 43.5mm = £4960

Bank of England inflation calculator https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator - £2470 is worth £3,600, £2700 is £3936 in 2019. So the SMP has increased by £570 and the Planet Ocean £1024.