closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Fine Watch Club - Norwich. Any dealings ?

Master

The Fine Watch Club - Norwich. Any dealings ?

They have a few “vintage” Omegas, a couple taken my eye. Has anyone any experience of dealing with them. Like most these days they seem to have an eBay shop window. A few photos with bottles of wine or roadmaps, I’m not sure what that purveys but they seem to like it

Craftsman
    I’ve never had any dealings with them but I do believe they have a shop in Norwich, I’m sure I walked passed it a few weeks ago but it was closed ...on a Saturday afternoon!

Craftsman
    Last autumn I tried to call in their shop. I first turned up at lunch time to find the door locked; the guy inside was sitting there watching me at the door whilst studiously also ignoring me.

Accepting that it was lunch time I left and went back latter on. This time exactly the same reception but I did not give up and eventually got the guy to come to the door. He was extremely unhelpful, would not let me across the door step and claimed that they did not open the the public, only trading online

I gave up. Seems like a very strange way to run a retail business with a bricks and mortar store...

Master
    I walked past the shop when I was in Norwich on business before Christmas.
    There were a number of vintage watch boxes in the window - mainly old Tudors and Omegas IIRC, but not a single watch visible.

I think the attitude of the guy in the shop is a nail in the coffin, imagine if you bought something and there was an issue later if he treats people like that before they have even bought. I have been looking at their listings on e-bay but will give them a miss.

We have had a few of these type of dealerships in recent years, nice watches, but the attitudes of the owners makes any sensible buyer run a mile. Don't they think that in this day and age anyone having a bad experience is immediately going to share it with the masses. Maybe they need to come out of the 1960s.

I saw the place whilst back home over the festive period, also struggled to get in though - assumed it was Christmas hours or something!

Nicely presented store (not that it’s relevant to the watch you end up with) and prices didn’t seem ridiculous from what I could tell, but by no means an expert

Personally I hope it is a good business which works out well for them, buyers and the fine city

Master
    They have some nice looking pieces on their ebay shop but something in their listing descriptive style I can’t put my finger on. 302 people gave positive feedback in last 6 months though so must be doing something right

Apprentice
    To give a slightly counter, and more positive, slant to this thread ... I popped into the shop about 4 or 5 weeks ago, but I did telephone in advance, and agree a time. From memory, the chap (whose name, i'm embarrassed to admit, I forgot to ask) told me that in the early days of the shop, a lot of guys would pop into the shop merely to kill time and have a nosey, with no intention of buying. (This was especially bad during home-games for Norwich City.) I imagine that's pretty stressful when you're the only member of staff, and there are lots of high-value items in-store. Anyway, he decided to focus on internet sales ... which is why the display cabinets are always empty. I don't believe that the shop ever now operates as a normal "shop". In my case, I telephoned the shop, agreed a time (about 30 mins later), mentioned which watch I was interested in, and then wandered round to the front of the shop, and had to tap on the door ... waving my phone to indicate that I'd chatted with him on the phone [I hope that makes sense].

Anyway, I have to say, my own take on it was that, whilst I don't understand the logic of operating a shop that never opens, he was very friendly, and well informed, and clearly likes his watches.

Master
    Thanks for that. He had plenty of positive feedback on eBay shop but interesting to read your account. Seems to be able to source plenty of older Omega’s. I’m guessing he may be on the sidelines on here somewhere

I would avoid buying a watch from this place. Overpriced and over restored.