closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone ever suffered an allergic reaction to a Titanium watch

Anyone ever suffered an allergic reaction to a Titanium watch

A serious question which will no doubt give the guys a great deal of fun, but a serious question, anyone ever suffered a reaction to wearing a Titanium watch and bracelet.

Reason I ask, just come out in a full rash and having been through everything I can think of, the only thing different is the recent purchase of my first Titanium watch. As a kid I was allergic to cheap metals, something I inherited from my Nan. I am fine with gold and stainless steel, but other metals can cause problems.

So a serious question when you guys pick yourselves back up off the floor, anyone else ever suffered.

An allergy to titanium is a known thing, but it’s incredibly rare.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    How clean is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    How clean is it?
    The watch looks clean, Its just been for a service, but I can always treat it to the Fairy Liquid and soft toothbrush treatment.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 26th February 2020 at 21:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The watch looks clean, Its just been for a service, but I can always treat it to the Fairy Liquid and soft toothbrush treatment.
    Perhaps you had a reaction to whatever they cleaned the watch with as part of the service.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Perhaps you had a reaction to whatever they cleaned the watch with as part of the service.
    I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Just given it a good clean so either the previous owners DNA or service cleaning fluids now removed

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Did you pay too much for it
    I always do, then give the damn things away for peanuts when selling.

Titanium is hypoallergenic - incredibly rare to be allergic to it, but I guess possible. Have you owned titanium watches before?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Titanium is hypoallergenic - incredibly rare to be allergic to it, but I guess possible. Have you owned titanium watches before?
    No, this is my first one. Really can't think of anything else, been through the usual rubbish, soap, washing powders, deodorants, food etc and nothing springs to mind.

I did visit Arrow Park hospital the other week when those 83 evacuees from China were there - so my days could be numbered.

I bought a Breitling Aerospace on a titanium bracelet and came out with a rash the first 3/4 times I wore it in the bracelet I cleaned the bracelet in soapy water and then the wife used alcohol hand gel on the bracelet! But to be fair no reaction since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I bought a Breitling Aerospace on a titanium bracelet and came out with a rash the first 3/4 times I wore it in the bracelet I cleaned the bracelet in soapy water and then the wife used alcohol hand gel on the bracelet! But to be fair no reaction since!

Interesting - thanks.

No, this is my first one. Really can't think of anything else, been through the usual rubbish, soap, washing powders, deodorants, food etc and nothing springs to mind.

I did visit Arrow Park hospital the other week when those 83 evacuees from China were there - so my days could be numbered.
    Dibs on the Alpinist collection

In all seriousness, please keep us updated with wearing after the cleaning, fascinating if it is due to Titanium.

Craftsman
    I’m with the cleaning fluids hypothesis

Titanium, like stainless, is used in medical implants and as said, hypoallergenic

You are less likely to react to titanium - rolex is more of an allergic reaction due to the stainless used.Give it a clean and a break and try again.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    You are less likely to react to titanium - rolex is more of an allergic reaction due to the stainless used.Give it a clean and a break and try again.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's likely to be the nickel content for 23-28% for 904L steel used in Ball and Rolexes compared with 316L steel 10-12%.

Obvious question but where was the rash? On your watch-wrist? Or full body?

The latter implies some food allergy (most likely, I’m not a doctor just speaking from experience)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

The latter implies some food allergy (most likely, I’m not a doctor just speaking from experience)

This! (and I happen to be a doctor by profession).

Metal allergies almost always shows as a contact allergi - the rash is located where the metal has been in direct contact with the skin. It's typically seen with watches, jewells and metal rivets in jeans. There's no cure other than avoiding contact with the allergenic metal.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Full body, worse around the shoulders and back of the neck, but hardly anything around were the watch would have been, so maybe something else. Feels very dry and itchy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nylon straps bring a nasty rash to my wrist,cheap faux rubber straps do the same.Im fine with quality Italian made tho.

Master
    I’ve got two titanium watches and neither of them have caused me any issues. To balance it out most other watch materials have caused issues for me at one time or another. That’s one of the reasons I went down the titanium route, because they are hypoallergenic. You have taken the right steps in cleaning, hopefully that clears up the issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    I’m with the cleaning fluids hypothesis

Titanium, like stainless, is used in medical implants and as said, hypoallergenic
    Yep two out of the three parts of my new knee are titanium. The part keeping them apart is plastic! (well, sort of plastic).
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Guy at work thought he was allergic to Stainless steel as he would come out in a rash if he wore a watch.

He bought a Titanium watch, but the same thing happened. Turns out he was having a reaction to his own sweat. It was only a mild reaction so it didn't cause him too much stress.

Craftsman
    I'm also mildly allergic to titanium. Little blotches

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Guy at work thought he was allergic to Stainless steel as he would come out in a rash if he wore a watch.

He bought a Titanium watch, but the same thing happened. Turns out he was having a reaction to his own sweat. It was only a mild reaction so it didn't cause him too much stress.
    Imagine being allergic to yourself!!!

Oh man that would be annoying! I guess if he's doing any sports, he would have to keep wiping himself down?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Dibs on the Alpinist collection

In all seriousness, please keep us updated with wearing after the cleaning, fascinating if it is due to Titanium.
    Made me laugh

I’ve seen stainless steel case backs and inner bracelets that appear to have corrosion from sweat. From what I understand, everyone’s sweat is different and some can be fairly nasty...

Anyway Ken - good luck and let’s hope it’s not the watches. I’m sure you’re doing this already, but worth running through a list of anything out of the ordinary that you might have eaten, drunk, washed/sanitised with, sat on, slept in, or otherwise come into contact with...

As someone who has permanent rashes due to a ridiculous disease, I sympathise completely!

Like everyone else has said though, I’d be dead surprised if you were allergic to your watches, titanium or otherwise. It sounds more likely that you’ve had a reaction to something ingested, rather than contacted. If it helps, my watches are (thankfully) something that doesn’t cause me more problems

Obviously, there are special cases, especially when it comes to vintage Alpinists. Sounds like there’s a waiting list for those though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    This! (and I happen to be a doctor by profession).

Metal allergies almost always shows as a contact allergi - the rash is located where the metal has been in direct contact with the skin. It's typically seen with watches, jewells and metal rivets in jeans. There's no cure other than avoiding contact with the allergenic metal.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    You can avoid an allergic reaction from metal rivets in jeans by gently covering them with a thin layer of clear nailpolish as a coating. My wife uses this trick, she is extremely allergic to a number of materials.

Her solution with watches: get golden watches.

Master
    I've got a titanium hip and a titanium plate in my shoulder.
    Also a titanium clasp on a Rado Diastar so no.

Master
    Full body, worse around the shoulders and back of the neck, but hardly anything around were the watch would have been, so maybe something else. Feels very dry and itchy.
    I got that from taking Naproxen.It started on my neck then the shoulders and spread everywhere.
    I stopped taking it and the rash went.

Thanks for the responses guys, the wife has done the usual Google self diagnosis searches and thinks it is a pityriasis rosea virus which manifests itself through a non contagious rash which can last anything from a few days to two weeks or more.

Thoughts Doctors?

Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing, I had it down as bubonic plague

I think the watch has been eliminated from our enquiries. It was lurking around at the time, but appears to be innocent.

Master
    Such a tragic emotive story, I recall my poor old grandad telling me stories of life in the trenches during WW1, despite the mud, rats, starvation and imminent death they were warned not to wear Titanium Watches in case of an allergic reaction resulting in an itchy rash. Times were just as tough back then, so chin up Ken and hopefully you will get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Such a tragic emotive story, I recall my poor old grandad telling me stories of life in the trenches during WW1, despite the mud, rats, starvation and imminent death they were warned not to wear Titanium Watches in case of an allergic reaction resulting in an itchy rash. Times were just as tough back then, so chin up Ken and hopefully you will get through it.
    That can't be right.

The Citizen X8 Chronometer was the first titanium watch in the world and that was released in 1970.
    https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/...es-so-popular/

Though no doubt someone will prove it was a Smiths or Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Thanks Bob, where would we be without your caring bedside manner. I believe older Daytonas have been known to cause similar medical complications

Master
    Turns out he was having a reaction to his own sweat.
    How on earth did he manage to find out?
    Last edited by Dougal; 29th February 2020 at 22:41.

Craftsman

Lets hope that isn't the case. Makes me wonder what grade of Titanium it is. I know just like other metals, they have different grades depending on the additives. Like stainless steel varies a lot by the amount of chromium in it. I had my hip replaced a couple of years ago and of course I now set off metal detectors at the airport, but of course surgical grade Titanium is a whole different beast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Lets hope that isn't the case. Makes me wonder what grade of Titanium it is. I know just like other metals, they have different grades depending on the additives. Like stainless steel varies a lot by the amount of chromium in it. I had my hip replaced a couple of years ago and of course I now set off metal detectors at the airport, but of course surgical grade Titanium is a whole different beast.
    My titanium hip sets off airport alarms too but the Ti plate in my shoulder doesn't.
    I put it down to the plate having a larger amount of aluminium in it that the hip joint.

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    My titanium hip sets off airport alarms too but the Ti plate in my shoulder doesn't.
    I put it down to the plate having a larger amount of aluminium in it that the hip joint.
    Do you only go through them a bit?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Do you only go through them a bit?
    A bit ?
    I had the shoulder op 5 years before the hip replacement.
    I'd warned security that I had a titanium plate and stainless steel screws in my shoulder.........nothing

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk