closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Updated.Any ideas what this is??

Updated.Any ideas what this is??

I came across this in an old box I bought. Not too sure what it is, not too sure of the language in the text. I’m not tryin to sell or value it just interested you know what it is and how old it is really if any members can help??
    Thanks.

Last edited by joeytheghost; 4th March 2020 at 21:18.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Looks like some sort of town charter or whathaveyou with the grand seal of said town/city.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Looks like some sort of town charter or whathaveyou with the grand seal of said town/city.
    You think? I can sort of make out a chap on a throne with possibly African head dress on and the name “Elizabeth” around the outside of the same side? The language in the text is baffling me?

I've tried to translate it with google lens, it flicks between thinking its english and croatian.

Maybe download google translate to you phone?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I've tried to translate it with google lens, it flicks between thinking its english and croatian.

Maybe download google translate to you phone?
    I tried that and it doesn’t seem to understand the writing.

It appears to be Title Deeds to a Nigerian bank account holding in excess of £25,000,000,000,000.
    If you send me £500 I will get it registered and release funds to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    It appears to be Title Deeds to a Nigerian bank account holding in excess of £25,000,000,000,000.
    If you send me £500 I will get it registered and release funds to you.
    Pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by joeytheghost View Post
    You think? I can sort of make out a chap on a throne with possibly African head dress on and the name “Elizabeth” around the outside of the same side? The language in the text is baffling me?
    The ‘chap on the throne’ looks a lot like Elizabeth I seated on her throne holding an orb and sceptre.

I’d guess the language is medieval Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The ‘chap on the throne’ looks a lot like Elizabeth I seated on her throne holding an orb and sceptre.

I have just googled a picture an it is very similar, thanks. You may be right with the language but it seems impossible to decipher in order to type into google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

Thanks, your info led me to this:

http://m.vam.ac.uk/collections/item/...iard-nicholas/

Journeyman
    Looks strange

Royal seal of Elizabeth I - could be a historically significant document, could be a licence to open an ale house, I can't read enough Latin to tell... The British Museum can advise - contact them via this: https://www.britishmuseum.org/sites/...vice_v2018.pdf

Or pop-up on Antiques Roadshow!

Certainly a fair chance it's worth more than the box it came in!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Royal seal of Elizabeth I - could be a historically significant document, could be a licence to open an ale house, I can't read enough Latin to tell... The British Museum can advise - contact them via this: https://www.britishmuseum.org/sites/...vice_v2018.pdf

Or pop-up on Antiques Roadshow!

Certainly a fair chance it's worth more than the box it came in!
    Thanks for that. I may try my local museum.

Hi Joe,

I showed my brother and this is what he replied

“It's a royal charter : Tudor . Wax seal and it looks to be queen Elizabeth (16th century) First line seems to talk about Elizabeth "Regina Anglicae" queen of England. It gives her the title "defender of the faith" which was the title given by the pope to Henry VIII prior to his break from Rome. It's in Latin if you can get better pics I can give date, etc

Based on the images which I can't see that clearly, It's certainly connected to Elizabeth and it's talking a lot about a guy called john (in parts!)

The script is nice and clear so if you get better images it should be easyish to read. I know a few people who would be well suited to it.

It's using Medieval Latin abbreviations to save space, these were still used well into the 16th century. It's written on velum and it seems to have the royal seal.

If you get better pics there should always. E a date on these types of document.

It may well be a copy of a document issued in Elizabeth's reign.

I can’t see it well enough to tell you what's going on in it though.”

If you’d like him to take a better look at it, I’ll PM my email so you can get clearer pics that I can forward. Definitely sounds interesting

Master
    I love stuff like this - very interesting! Please keep us updated OP

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Hi Joe,

I showed my brother and this is what he replied

“It's a royal charter : Tudor . Wax seal and it looks to be queen Elizabeth (16th century) First line seems to talk about Elizabeth "Regina Anglicae" queen of England. It gives her the title "defender of the faith" which was the title given by the pope to Henry VIII prior to his break from Rome. It's in Latin if you can get better pics I can give date, etc

Based on the images which I can't see that clearly, It's certainly connected to Elizabeth and it's talking a lot about a guy called john (in parts!)

The script is nice and clear so if you get better images it should be easyish to read. I know a few people who would be well suited to it.

It's using Medieval Latin abbreviations to save space, these were still used well into the 16th century. It's written on velum and it seems to have the royal seal.

If you get better pics there should always. E a date on these types of document.

It may well be a copy of a document issued in Elizabeth's reign.

I can’t see it well enough to tell you what's going on in it though.”

If you’d like him to take a better look at it, I’ll PM my email so you can get clearer pics that I can forward. Definitely sounds interesting
    Thank you. Pm sent.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Me too, hopefully with Greg’s help we will get the bottom of it. He asked for better pics of the text so I’ve sent them over an I’ll also post here.
    My last decent purchase turned out good. I bought “street art” at a second hand shop, offered £20 an the chap took it with a big smile. Turned out it was mosaic art signed by the artist who happened to be associated with the Stone roses! I had an email conversation with him about it. He confirmed it was his. enquired how the f&£k I got it and asked for it back. I told him it wasn’t for sale and he was ok with that as long as I sent him a pic of it hanging in my house. Still got it , we love it and even better having the history behind it.

Last edited by joeytheghost; 26th February 2020 at 22:19.

We don’t need more pics of the old thing, we need pics of the John Squire!

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    We don’t need more pics of the old thing, we need pics of the John Squire!
    Sadly not John Squire. It was Phil Becket who DJ’d with the stone roses and was a hacienda resident. Still cool though!!

From what he can make out, He’s dated it to 7th May and believes it’s 1599, as it looks like it states the 41st year of her reign, it could be 11th, 21st, 31st as the text isn’t easy to make out but he thinks it’s 41st year.

He’ll try and take a better look soon but the text can’t be enlarged particularly easily. He’s forwarded it on for a colleague to look at as well. If I find out any more I will update.

Sadly not John Squire. It was Phil Becket who DJ’d with the stone roses and was a hacienda resident. Still cool though!!
    So not one of the Stone Roses then, shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    From what he can make out, He’s dated it to 7th May and believes it’s 1599, as it looks like it states the 41st year of her reign, it could be 11th, 21st, 31st as the text isn’t easy to make out but he thinks it’s 41st year.

He’ll try and take a better look soon but the text can’t be enlarged particularly easily. He’s forwarded it on for a colleague to look at as well. If I find out any more I will update.
    A quick google tells me she reigned from 1558 so that would be her 41st year. Thanks for your help Greg.

So not one of the Stone Roses then, shame!
    Maybe not, but sort of, still cool though.

Maybe not, but sort of, still cool though.
    True. A nice thing to have, and worth 20 quid of anyone’s money. I’d still like to see a pic of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What Peck said!

That's fantastic.. gives us insight into their world .. no email then I assume. Just big boxes and horses

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    What Peck said!
    Well today, with Greg’s help, it seems that the document relates to a John Churchill Muston and talks about land in Plumpton in Devon. I have sent Pictures to Liverpool John Moores University and The Liverpool museum. I certainly will keep this thread updated with any developments.

True. A nice thing to have, and worth 20 quid of anyone’s money. I’d still like to see a pic of it.
    This is the mosaic by Phil Beckett and the history behind it from the man himself.

picture uploader

We love it and the fact it isn’t just another piece from “the range” or “next” makes it all the better. Worth £20 at least and a bit of history means I can bore friends and visitors!!
    Last edited by joeytheghost; 27th February 2020 at 20:57. Reason: Removed naughty word

Very interesting find. I was wondering whether it was written on Velum or parchment?

I am sure the British Library will be able to help out if the others fail.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Here's one auctioned in 2016.

https://www.catawiki.com/l/6184159-f...zabeth-i-1580s

Not to be sneezed at!

EDIT.

This one went for $19,000!

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...and-great-seal
    Last edited by bobbee; 28th February 2020 at 12:53.

An update for anyone interested, after firing off a few emails with pictures, John Moore’s University got a bit excited. They wanted to see it but we had to wait until today whilst they got a “climate controlled room” and space in the safe!!!
    They looked whilst we were there today and confirmed it’s A velum parchment and they said probably a Chancery seal. They have kept hold of it an are going to translate the text and confirm it’s authenticity. I’ll keep this post updated.

You could become famous and start presenting documentaries with Lucy Worsley

I'm glad we're going to get the answer, cool find.