closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: Deal on new BMW 530d

PSA: Deal on new BMW 530d

I've been looking at getting one of these and my local BMW dealership, Dick Lovett in Bristol, has contacted me today to say they have three brand new 530d M Sport saloons that they're doing a deal on - £399 deposit and £399 per month based on 8k miles over 48 months. If you want to increase the deposit then the monthly payments reduce by £20-23 per £1000 you put down. The build slots are in March so you would get delivery around the end of March.

This seems like a great deal but unfortunately the timing isn't right for me, no matter how I try to work the figures. But I thought I'd post on here in case anyone is thinking about getting one. By all accounts it's supposed to be one of the best all round cars in the world (obviously there are better cars but when you consider the price, performance, handling, comfort etc).

If you're interested the sales guy I deal with is called Kevin Li, give him and shout and let him know Nathan passed you on.

Just for clarity I have no affiliation with the dealership or Kevin, I'm just trying to pass on a good deal that I can't take up.

I believe one of the cars is already sold so there was only two left when I last heard from him at lunchtime.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I've been looking at getting one of these and my local BMW dealership, Dick Lovett in Bristol, has contacted me today to say they have three brand new 530d M Sport saloons that they're doing a deal on - £399 deposit and £399 per month based on 8k miles over 48 months. If you want to increase the deposit then the monthly payments reduce by £20-23 per £1000 you put down. The build slots are in March so you would get delivery around the end of March.

This seems like a great deal but unfortunately the timing isn't right for me, no matter how I try to work the figures. But I thought I'd post on here in case anyone is thinking about getting one. By all accounts it's supposed to be one of the best all round cars in the world (obviously there are better cars but when you consider the price, performance, handling, comfort etc).

If you're interested the sales guy I deal with is called Kevin Li, give him and shout and let him know Nathan passed you on.

Just for clarity I have no affiliation with the dealership or Kevin, I'm just trying to pass on a good deal that I can't take up.

I believe one of the cars is already sold so there was only two left when I last heard from him at lunchtime.

I’ve got one on a 66 plate and it’s hands down the best all round car I’ve owned. The performance and mpg are something to behold on such a large car.

There's already a ongoing dedicated thread for this sort of stuff.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Thread/page15

£20k to hire a car for 4 years seems a terrible deal! and you can only drive 8k per year which is far too low for a diesel.

How so? If you were to buy a new 530d with cash or a loan and sell it in 4 years and recover at best, 30-40% of its value you would be much worse off. Furthermore, you get to own a diesel without wondering if anyone will even want it in 4 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    There's already a ongoing dedicated thread for this sort of stuff.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Thread/page15
    Sorry you’re right, I totally forgot about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    How so? If you were to buy a new 530d with cash or a loan and sell it in 4 years and recover at best, 30-40% of its value you would be much worse off. Furthermore, you get to own a diesel without wondering if anyone will even want it in 4 years time.
    ^ The very reason we have leased the “ big money “ car for many years plus the other bonus is no dealing with Mr shiny suit,pointy toed shoes salesman.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Don't know much about leasing but would this deal via HotUKDeals be any good?

https://www.leasingoptions.co.uk/spe...b-f1c11c3344ab

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    £20k to hire a car for 4 years seems a terrible deal! and you can only drive 8k per year which is far too low for a diesel.
    Who cares whether 8k is too low for a diesel. You’re handing it back after 4 years.

PSA: Deal on new BMW 530d

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Who cares whether 8k is too low for a diesel. You’re handing it back after 4 years.
    I think the point is; why get a diesel at all if you’re only going to drive 8k a year, especially in a car designed as a mile muncher!

And if my maths is correct that’s 60+ pence a mile before any other bills. You can run a lot of car for that.
    Last edited by Matt8500; 25th February 2020 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I think the point is; why get a diesel at all if you’re only going to drive 8k a year, especially in a car designed as a mile muncher!

And if my maths is correct that’s 60+ pence a mile before any other bills. You can run a lot of car for that.
    Genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic, but what would you suggest as a good alternative that provides the same performance, economy, comfort, handling and quality for a similar cost?

Granted I would be doing more than 8k Miles a year, but probably not much more at around 10-12k.

I’ve looked at electric cars and the only viable comparison to the BMW is a Tesla, which are more expensive.

That leaves petrol and I had a BMW 328i a coupe of years ago (64 plate) and it was great fun with similar performance, but economy wasn’t great.

Any other suggestions?

Master
    £400 a month to drive a car you can't even drive all that much? How the other half live!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    £400 a month to drive a car you can't even drive all that much? How the other half live!
    It’sa good deal, if it’s the type of car you’d otherwise buy new. If not, then maybe consider what you buy for £20,000 that you hope will be as comfortable, efficient, perform and remain relatively fault free, or under warranty for the next 4 years.
    It's just a matter of time...

Looks like a great deal to me for a lot of car, even if the mileage is pretty low!

Journeyman
    The new 5 series is a great allrounder, it was a tough choice between a new 540i or an older F10 M5, I went with the M5 in the end however my brother has a new 530D and they really are a great car, and £399pm is a decent deal with that deposit, albeit mileage is a little low id be wanting 12k

Genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic, but what would you suggest as a good alternative that provides the same performance, economy, comfort, handling and quality for a similar cost?

Granted I would be doing more than 8k Miles a year, but probably not much more at around 10-12k.

I’ve looked at electric cars and the only viable comparison to the BMW is a Tesla, which are more expensive.

That leaves petrol and I had a BMW 328i a coupe of years ago (64 plate) and it was great fun with similar performance, but economy wasn’t great.

Any other suggestions?

Not taken as sarcastic at all! This is a discussion forum

I would buy petrol with such a low mileage. There is so little difference in actual cost/year for fuel. Diesel should be obsolete now unless you’re doing mega miles.

What sort of penalty will you pay if you do 50% more miles than the contract? Some of these can be punitive, or so I’ve read.

I love the 5 series so would get one of those if that’s the sort of size/style you need.

Can’t comment on costs as I buy my cars outright at a year or so old. I find that much more cost effective in general, as you have an asset to sell and save a fortune over new.

I would buy petrol with such a low mileage. There is so little difference in actual cost/year for fuel. Diesel should be obsolete now unless you’re doing mega miles.

What sort of penalty will you pay if you do 50% more miles than the contract? Some of these can be punitive, or so I’ve read.

I love the 5 series so would get one of those if that’s the sort of size/style you need.

Can’t comment on costs as I buy my cars outright at a year or so old. I find that much more cost effective in general, as you have an asset to sell and save a fortune over new.
    Maybe 530e hybrid is the way forward. The dealer recommended against it because he said the technology isn’t very good yet. But not sure if he was just trying to sell me a diesel because they want to get rid of them.

Maybe 530e hybrid is the way forward. The dealer recommended against it because he said the technology isn’t very good yet. But not sure if he was just trying to sell me a diesel because they want to get rid of them.

They're mainly made for company car drivers to skirt as much tax as possible. Not the thing to buy if you want a genuine hybrid. When I had a company car last year a 530e was about £120pm in tax. My 116d was more but we weren't allowed the 530e.

There is so little difference in actual cost/year for fuel. Diesel should be obsolete now unless you’re doing mega miles.
    Diesel is still cheaper to run than petrol in a 5 Series over 8,000 miles so not sure they should be obsolete just yet.

530d VED £260
    55mpg - 8k miles - Total fuel cost: £846.04

520i VED £325
    42.80mpg - Total fuel cost: £1047.95

Source: www.fleetnews.co.uk/costs/fuel-cost-calculator/

Interesting to look at fuel costs, however the diesel is also 8k more to buy, and likely to depreciate further both in percentage and absolute terms given the current climate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    ^ The very reason we have leased the “ big money “ car for many years plus the other bonus is no dealing with Mr shiny suit,pointy toed shoes salesman.
    This has always been my reasoning

They hammer you on the tax though £450 for the first 5 years.

Great cars I love my G31
    Last edited by hilly10; 26th February 2020 at 14:19.

Interesting to look at fuel costs, however the diesel is also 8k more to buy, and likely to depreciate further both in percentage and absolute terms given the current climate.
    Although I was looking at one 2-3 years old and getting it on PCP. At that age the price is pretty similar (around £20-25k) and as it’s PCP the depreciation is less of an issue.

In reality, as with all cars, there’s pros and cons to whatever you go for and I guess it’s just working out what’s best for your situation and budget.

Master
    Seems to be a decent lease deal on the 520d too if you dont need the extra power and want to save a few pounds on the monthlies.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bmw...ptions-3412186

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Diesel is still cheaper to run than petrol in a 5 Series over 8,000 miles so not sure they should be obsolete just yet.

530d VED £260
    55mpg - 8k miles - Total fuel cost: £846.04

520i VED £325
    42.80mpg - Total fuel cost: £1047.95

Source: www.fleetnews.co.uk/costs/fuel-cost-calculator/
    £200 a year difference? When you take into account higher servicing costs on the diesel there really can't be much in it. Just can't see why you would want a diesel over petrol for so little financial benefit at that level of mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    £200 a year difference? When you take into account higher servicing costs on the diesel there really can't be much in it. Just can't see why you would want a diesel over petrol for so little financial benefit at that level of mileage.
    Exactly. Isn't the average break even for diesel over petrol 12k miles per year?

I would get a diesel if it was Euro 6 and a hell of a better deal (and did) but the preference is always for petrol. I bought a diesel GLC only as the petrol was £13k more. The petrols were just being delivered at that point. I do less than 8k miles pa.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 28th February 2020 at 10:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I met a guy who tests future car tech he a had a hydrogen, petrol, electric hybrid. 5 series, all bases covered for all the you would ever need.

Master
    I would look at the maths of buying a similar spec car that is 12 months old.

Nice car but still a rep-mobile that has a value that tanks when you drive it out of the showroom, even if you get a mega deal.

Take the maximum depreciation curve out of the equation and you won't sit inside thinking it is a used car, will still have the same warranty benefits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Do BMW service plans differ based on fuel? I'm on my 3rd BMW Diesel with a service plan and don't recall petrol service plans being cheaper. So it comes down to whether you want to pay over £200 a year more for the same milage, in the same comfort. Personally I'd rather £200 in my pocket rather than in the fuel pump.

I'd pay an extra £200 per year to have a petrol, even if leasing. I hate the sound of the tractor on my drive. Diesels will depreciate more, especially in this climate.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Do BMW service plans differ based on fuel? I'm on my 3rd BMW Diesel with a service plan and don't recall petrol service plans being cheaper. So it comes down to whether you want to pay over £200 a year more for the same milage, in the same comfort. Personally I'd rather £200 in my pocket rather than in the fuel pump.
    I have a petrol Porsche Macan which costs considerably less to service than the diesel version. I presumed BMW would be the same. DPF filters aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd pay an extra £200 per year to have a petrol, even if leasing. I hate the sound of the tractor on my drive. Diesels will depreciate more, especially in this climate.
    #metoo

Petrol for me too. £200 negligible if paying £5000/year.

Craftsman
    The VED calc doesn’t include the £400/yr premium on cars with an on the road price of above £40k.

I paid £27k for my 4 series, pre-registered, but still need to pay the extra VED for the first 5 years :-(

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Isn't the average break even for diesel over petrol 12k miles per year?

I would get a diesel if it was Euro 6 and a hell of a better deal (and did) but the preference is always for petrol. I bought a diesel GLC only as the petrol was £13k more. The petrols were just being delivered at that point. I do less than 8k miles pa.
    You were lucky to get a GLC! Tried to order a GLC 300d AMG in silver back in December and was told they couldn't get one for this March but could do other colours or specs. Something about how they build batches of cars.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You were lucky to get a GLC! Tried to order a GLC 300d AMG in silver back in December and was told they couldn't get one for this March but could do other colours or specs. Something about how they build batches of cars.
    I went second hand. Lucked out with a guy 10 mins down the road with 16k miles and coming to the end of his 3 year PCP. If we wanted petrol it was new or pre-reg for about £13k more.

Blog Entries
    I went second hand. Lucked out with a guy 10 mins down the road with 16k miles and coming to the end of his 3 year PCP. If we wanted petrol it was new or pre-reg for about £13k more.
    Sounds like a good deal.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.