closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone using a 5G Network yet and is it worth it?

Anyone using a 5G Network yet and is it worth it?

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered but 5G is too short a search option.

I have an upgrade due in a couple of months and wondered whether anyone has any experiences of the 5G network and whether they feel the extra £30 odd a month is worth it over a decent 4G signal?

Is one provider any better than another?

Same question for devices such as S20 vs Oneplus 7 or Huawei Mate etc??

I live in SE London and work in Central London so I'd hope to be Ok in terms of general coverage.

Cheers.

Chris

Sorry......it appears that this is a Londoner's only thread...

*backs out quietly..*

Master
    Do you need 5G connectivity speeds? What is it that you currently do with your phone that is limited by the 4G connection & is worth £360 a year?

5G really canes the battery life on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered but 5G is too short a search option.

I have an upgrade due in a couple of months and wondered whether anyone has any experiences of the 5G network and whether they feel the extra £30 odd a month is worth it over a decent 4G signal?
    On Vodafone - it's the same price as 4G not £30 a month more so it is a non-brainer for me - I upgraded to a a90 and it's been great - although I work in a city centre so that makes a difference.

Not noticed the different from my a70.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 25th February 2020 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Do you need 5G connectivity speeds? What is it that you currently do with your phone that is limited by the 4G connection & is worth £360 a year?

Well that was why I was asking!

Sometimes I do find that on my commute to Cannon Street the weakness of the 4G signal can barely download a webpage never mind stream Netflix.

It's intermittent sure and massively a 1st world problem but it can be frustrating.

I have a P20 Pro which has a great battery life so that could be a factor.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

There was a discussion a couple of weeks ago here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...mobile-network

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    There was a discussion a couple of weeks ago here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...mobile-network
    Ok thanks. Doesn't look like this is getting much traction which maybe tells me what I need to know!

Master
    Theres a discussion with Lewis Hamilton in April T3 ( current month). He is the 5 g ambassador for Vodaphone I believe. Main strengths were gaming and ability to download films quickly. I maybe a cynical, but at present it looks like a solution to a future problem, not todays issues.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Theres a discussion with Lewis Hamilton in April T3 ( current month). He is the 5 g ambassador for Vodaphone I believe. Main strengths were gaming and ability to download films quickly. I maybe a cynical, but at present it looks like a solution to a future problem, not todays issues.
    Given he's a paid ambassador - his views are worthless.

If you aren't upgrading, I would not not bother at this point but given there was very little direct cost for me switching, it just made sense. Especially as I can use it for torrenting via using the phone as a hotspot...

With the reviews I’ve seen and read unless the place is covered in antennas it just keeps in flip flopping which makes the overall experience even worse. There’s a review on YT but all he does is test download speeds not real life usage.

As an iPhone user (for both work and personal phones) and living in rural Gloucestershire it's not something that will concern me anytime soon. The iPhone releases in September will probably have 5G compatibility but when I will see the capability in Cheltenham and the surrounding area is anyone's guess. There are plenty of areas where you can currently only receive 3G. 5G requires far more base stations/picocells etc. as the attenuation of the signals is far greater than with 3G/4G. I can see me sticking with the iPhone X for a few more years yet. That said my brother in law has the iPhone 11 and the camera gives very impressive results.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I asked this recently, not worth it for most people at the mo. Two versions of 5g too, I wouldn’t bother till it’s more widespread

If you're due a new phone and the new phone has 5G then take it, but I wouldn't switch phones now or change brand just to get it. I have a 5G plan but a 4G phone, obv didn't cost anything to be on a 5G traffic. I have a friend who works for a mobile phone OEM and I asked him if it's worth moving to 5G (he currently has 5G) and he said "2020 isn't going to be the year of 5G, I'd wait until 2021 for it to start being important".

Blog Entries
    At Stamford Bridge (like any other arena where there are many people in one place at the same time) you cannot get a decent 4G signal. Downloading pages takes forever if indeed they ever download. They have recently installed free wi-fi but again, the same problems at times - too many people using the network at once. However, my neighbour there has a 5G phone and she had instant access to a full 5G signal in the stadium at half time when usage is greatest and was surfing away freely. I currently have the Galaxy S10 Plus but have decided to upgrade to the S20 Ultra 5G phone so looking forward to 5G reception. Whilst I live in Kent, I'm very often in the major cities for work or footy and I feel it's worth the extra £4 per month for 5G coverage over my current contract, especially with 40GB rather than 30.

That's more like it. Can I ask who your provider is and roughly what the cost is per month?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    That's more like it. Can I ask who your provider is and roughly what the cost is per month?

So it was not directed to me but my provider is vodafone and because i did it via a cashback deal - I paid for unlimited everything, 77 roaming countries and either free spotify, now TV or amazon prime video - £20 a month.

Not a recommendation because I do not know enough about it - but this will be £299 tomorrow:

https://www.mi.com/uk/buy/product/mix-3-5g

I have the Ultra, and a 5G SIM

But nearest 5G is 120 miles away

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk