closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Wait for the ETA2801 with higher price or use the Miyota 9039 with lower price?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait for the ETA2801 and increase the price

52 55.32%
  • Use the Miyota 9039 and lower the price

42 44.68%

Thread: Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions

As you know, it's becoming increasingly difficult to obrain ETA movements and Sellita aren't much better. I'n now at the stage where I need to order more of the Smiths Military and would like to continue with the ETA2801 but I can't find any. The alternative is to go with the Miyota 9039 (as used in the Everest) or wait until the 2801 is available (and run out of stock whilst waiting).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

If it's a strong seller at its current spec keep it as is. I doubt any will be put off with a price increase.

Can you afford to run out of stock?

If yes, stick to your initial choice. The demand will not go away, you have a good following.
    If not, it's a no brainer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Good things come to those who wait

My two penneth on this. . . . . . .

Eddie Your judgement on the watches You bring to the public has always been superb value for money and also very much praised not just here but You only have to go to other forums to see how much tyour watches are valued by collectors so I think Your decision will prove successful either way.

Incidentally I voted to go with the Miyota movement they are very good and power a lot of watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    To be brutally pragmatic, running out of stock on the Everest expedition has done you no harm at all, with both prices and demand being stimulated by the lack of availability. There is still a cachet to having a Swiss movement, so I'd wait. It's an obvious win win.

Much as I hate to say it as I'm still after one of your Everest models after missing it last time, but perhaps it would make sense to be bringing your prices closer to what they can resell for immediately after purchase. I know that you want to offer your watches at a decent price, but it seems the market has become increasingly inflated while your prices have not. As a result, I think some of your recent watches are not as highly regarded as they really should be.

That's just my opinion and we all know what that is worth.

What I take it you are suggesting, is to go from a manual to an automatic. Would the case size accommodate? Either way I would say no. Wait for the ETA and increase the price to whatever it takes.

Wait for the ETA.
    F.T.F.A.

Run out of stock and wait for the ETA. Allow orders for a 20-50% deposit if that is an option and ship the watches in the same order.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wait for the eta

Stuff ETA

You will have to move away from them anyway eventually, so do it now, and take your custom to someone that gives a hoot.

Dave

Craftsman
    I say wait for the ETA. Have you checked into any manual wind Miyota's.

Master
    In house?

Though I'd say ditch them sooner than later. My recently acquired miyota powered watch is far more accurate than the eta smiths. The idea of it being a Swiss movement quickly meant nothing when it was running 15 to 20 day fast compared to the miyota which runs 1s a day fast and cost 25% less.

I'd be tempted to stick two fingers up at ETA for its petty practice of throttling supply to the little guy and go with a proven movement where supply and maintenance won't become an issue.

But … ETA movements are so smooth and creamy compared to Miyota grit.

I voted Miyota though

Apprentice
    Do both - keep the supply with the miyota and add the ETA as an option. Don't lower the price with the miyota as eBay shows that the market is plenty buoyant.

Master
    I voted to wait for the ETA option. Keep the Military range handwound and the Everest range automatic.

I wonder how many of each dial option Eddie has left, might be time to stop procrastinating! Although I have obviously missed the windows of opportunity for this month.

Dave

The way I see it, if ETA restrict the supply of movements to manufacturers then they do not deserve your business!

How about the Sellita SW210 ? probably would be cheaper and should just drop in where the ETA was.

Edit: sorry just noticed that you said they were a problem to source (I'm assuming you approached Sellita directly?) I bought 100 movements last year and if i remember correctly the delivery was about 6 weeks
    Last edited by animalone; 26th February 2020 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    How about the Sellita SW210 ? probably would be cheaper and should just drop in where the ETA was.

Edit: sorry just noticed that you said they were a problem to source (I'm assuming you approached Sellita directly?) I bought 100 movements last year and if i remember correctly the delivery was about 6 weeks
    I ordered 300 of the SW210 (top grade) in December and delivery is scheduled for July but I won't hold my breath.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I ordered 300 of the SW210 (top grade) in December and delivery is scheduled for July but I won't hold my breath.

Eddie
    The Caribbean?

Blog Entries
    Miyota for me, if there's a solid, running trouble free for years movement, it's the miyota.

The 2801 is a dated design anyway ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    QUOTE=Jeremy67;5337025]The Caribbean?[/QUOTE

I believe that the movements that Eddie was referring to are for the Smiths MKII Navigator.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    QUOTE=Jeremy67;5337025]The Caribbean?[/QUOTE

I believe that the movements that Eddie was referring to are for the Smiths MKII Navigator.
    He is talking about the Smiths Military PRS-29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    He is talking about the Smiths Military PRS-29.
    I know that the thread is talking about the movements for the PRS-29A but Jeremy was responding to Eddies post about the 300 Sellita SW210 movements that he ordered back in December. Those movements were ordered for the Navigator project Eddie had posted under the "One for 2020".

Ok thanks.

Master
    ETA have made their bed and now need to lie in it for a bit. If a Selita movement is not possible then Miyota or Seiko is the next best choice, I'd not reduce the price too much though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Smiths military is such a well regarded watch I would stick with its current specification unless of course it would effect your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    I guess it will depend on the lead time for the ETA movement and how robust the Miyota is and how well it would be received, for me I wouldn't have a problem with the Miyota movement.
    There are no ETA2801 available at the moment and even Zeno can't get any at all for the whole of 2020 (they used to help me out with movements). I reckon I'll sell out in the next month or so and not having any Smiths Military at all for about a year will definitely hurt.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There are no ETA2801 available at the moment and even Zeno can't get any at all for the whole of 2020 (they used to help me out with movements). I reckon I'll sell out in the next month or so and not having any Smiths Military at all for about a year will definitely hurt.

Eddie

In that case, needs must.
    F.T.F.A.

Indeed, possibly more, as it sounds like there are no batches to reserve at the end of that ( not having any in 2020 isn't the same as having some in early 2021).
    Time to move on.
    I did not say this earlier in the thread, but I am not alone in regarding the Miyota alternative as the equal of your original spec. It is a worthy replacement.

Going forward I don't see how any small watchmaking concern can continue to power its products with movements from a company that doesn't seem remotely interested in supplying them. I'd move on.

Apprentice
    Nth seems to be doing very well by just using miyota.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

I voted to hang fire, but with that availability (or lack thereof), and no guarantee of that changing in 2021, it's probably time to move on.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice
    I love hand crankers, but seeing ETA's politics of limiting access to movements and parts, I voted Miyota.

I prefer a watch my local watchmaker will be able to service for many years to come, without artificially imposed problems sourcing materials.