closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Air King

Journeyman

Rolex Air King

HI all
    i have a mates Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air-King Super Precision Ref. 5500 vintage wristwatch. Does anybody know which is the correct die number for removing back

Die: 1001-10

Case holder: 1008-07

You're welcome!

:-)

Given your previous posts re equipment and "tinkering", can I ask please why you intend to remove the back of your friend's Rolex?
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Given your previous posts re equipment and "tinkering", can I ask please why you intend to remove the back of your friend's Rolex?
    He wants to see the condition of the movement, the watch has a rattle as in somethings loose inside but it winds up and works. He wasn't sure if it was a genuine rolex at first. It has the worst aftermaket ill fitting tin bracelet on it. His late father has had it for about 50 years ( he remembers seeing in as a kid in a draw) so he wants to have a look inside and see if worth having a service or not ill post some pictures.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Die: 1001-10

Case holder: 1008-07

You're welcome!

:-)
    Thanks Mike

Blog Entries
    To be honest it looks like a well used Rolex which has had a good life. The bracelets were tinny in those days so could perhaps be original but well worn. If I was you I'd send it to someone like Brendan (webwatchmaker on here) and get their opinion rather than 'tinker' yourself.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To be honest it looks like a well used Rolex which has had a good life. The bracelets were tinny in those days so could perhaps be original but well worn. If I was you I'd send it to someone like Brendan (webwatchmaker on here) and get their opinion rather than 'tinker' yourself.
    like I said there is something loose inside but it works, probably a case screw. if he sends it off in the post god only knows what damage the loose screw would cause. So if I can take the loose part out then send it off for repair. Or would you disagree and just send it off. No, the bracelet is not Rolex

Grand Master
    And were fakes around 50 years ago?......and if so I think the quality really would be so bad you'd know without having to open the back anyway!.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And were fakes around 50 years ago?......and if so I think the quality really would be so bad you'd know without having to open the back anyway!.
    I think he was going off the bracelet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bally796 View Post
    like I said there is something loose inside but it works, probably a case screw. if he sends it off in the post god only knows what damage the loose screw would cause. So if I can take the loose part out then send it off for repair. Or would you disagree and just send it off. No, the bracelet is not Rolex
    How do you know something is loose? By shaking it? So what difference will the post make?

It's your call at the end of the day.

Journeyman

Red face

How do you know something is loose? By shaking it? So what difference will the post make?

It's your call at the end of the day.
    Yes, its got something rattling around inside which could get into the balance spring and destroy it so safer to remove it. if you take the back off a watch it won't explode! well I hope it doesn't LOL

Journeyman
    How did you get on? Did you find what the problem was?

I have the exact same watch with the exact same issue :/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmunnday View Post
    How did you get on? Did you find what the problem was?

I have the exact same watch with the exact same issue :/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Just waiting for the case back opener then i will report back.

Well, it's a very genuine mid-1960's Rolex Air-King Super-Precision on a generic oyster-type bracelet.

It is most likely the rotor pinion is worn, so the rotor is rattling against the caseback, as generally bits don't fall off the mechanism and the case screws are unlikely to have worked themselves loose.

Good luck!

MW

Journeyman
    Well, it's a very genuine mid-1960's Rolex Air-King Super-Precision on a generic oyster-type bracelet.

It is most likely the rotor pinion is worn, so the rotor is rattling against the caseback, as generally bits don't fall off the mechanism and the case screws are unlikely to have worked themselves loose.

Good luck!

MW
    Cheers Mike

Journeyman

Good luck!

MW
    Had a look today and yes your assessment was 100% spot on thanks Mike

Journeyman
    Any recommendations for servicing or should he put a good leather strap on it and sell as is?

Master
    Any recommendations for servicing or should he put a good leather strap on it and sell as is?
    Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking is my go to for servicing, just had my Heuer Carrera back from him, superb service. He's Rolex accredited too and 20% discount for TZ-UK members.
    Last edited by Gomers; 27th February 2020 at 11:25.

Blog Entries
    Brendan at https://www.webwatchmaker.co.uk would be my choice for servicing and refurbishment.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking is my go to for servicing, just had my Heuer Carrera back from him, superb service. He's Rolex accredited too and 20% discount for TZ-UK members.
    Thanks for that

Journeyman
    A few pictures of the movement
    https://s1132.photobucket.com/user/b...?sort=3&page=1

- - - Updated - - -

Brendan at https://www.webwatchmaker.co.uk would be my choice for servicing and refurbishment.
    Thanks for the link. ill email for an estimate

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Estimate came back at around £1000 full service new face and hands