closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 is now Officially Classified as a Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ambulance outside John Lewis in Kingston right now spraying someone with (I presume) disinfectant. Suspected coronavirus case?
    Better than being sprayed with Calvin Klein's 'Thrust' as soon as you walk through the door I suppose.

Master
    Just landed in Turin for a weeks skiing.
    All arrivals greeted with medics in hazmat suits checking everybodyís temperature before being allowed into baggage claim.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I didn't know what was meant by 'parallel' in this instance and so I had a look online and found:

Parallel imports and exports are based on a fundamental principle of the European Union, namely the free circulation of goods and services. This means that medicines can be purchased and sold across national borders, while keeping the international rules of pharmaceutical trade. Parallel exports therefore are medicines that are sold to another European Member State (or even a European country outside the EU) and are then distributed by the parallel importer on its domestic market.

This means that authorized pharmaceutical wholesalers may import, export and sell medicines. Parallel importing/exporting are a strictly regulated and safety-conscious industry. The importer and exporter moreover, has to meet the strictest legal safety and quality requirements among others.

An imported medicine for instance has to have identical therapeutic properties as the reference medicine that is already on the market in the importing country. These conditions impose a considerable number of restrictions therefore.

Certain companies from Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom, Denmark and Poland are already completely familiar with medicines from other EU countries. Parallel imports of medicines in these countries have been customary and accepted for numerous years. Hungarian companies moreover have been exporting significant volumes of medicines to other EU countries for years as part of the same procedure.
    Yes, not really the pharma companies maximising profits (as suggested earlier) but the trade buying surplus to requirements and reselling them on elsewhere. Benefits the end user as health services/pharmacies can buy at the best available price.
    Not sure whether this export ban would be legal if still in the EU or their rules still apply but we can do this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, not really the pharma companies maximising profits (as suggested earlier) but the trade buying surplus to requirements and reselling them on elsewhere. Benefits the end user as health services/pharmacies can buy at the best available price.
    Not sure whether this export ban would be legal if still in the EU or their rules still apply but we can do this anyway.

Only mentioned in the context of US companies, not those in the EU or UK.

Craftsman
    Ambulance outside John Lewis in Kingston right now spraying someone with (I presume) disinfectant. Suspected coronavirus case?
    Sounds possible, I have never seen that happen in my life so hard to say why they might do that to someone.

You would know for sure if it was in China. I seen a video where people were being chased and netted like dogs.

Craftsman
    Possible Emergency legislation this week -

Unlimited class sizes so remaining teachers can take lessons
    Classes can be taught at any location
    HGV drivers can drive beyond 56 hrs/wk
    Military doctors drafted into NHS hospitals
    Ban on public assemblies of > 100
    Last edited by J J Carter; 29th February 2020 at 19:30.

More scaremongering.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Will coronavirus affect the price of rolexes?

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    You would know for sure if it was in China. I seen a video where people were being chased and netted like dogs.
    Obviously coronavirus...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    More scaremongering.
    The Dail Mail says we're all doomed:

Mr Johnson last night took personal charge of Britainís response to the crisis, as critics urged him to Ďget a gripí. He convened a meeting in No 10 last night to discuss contingency plans and will chair a meeting of the Governmentís emergency Cobra committee on Monday.

In his first significant public statement on the crisis, the Prime Minister said: ĎThe issue of coronavirus is something that is now the Governmentís top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Sounds possible, I have never seen that happen in my life so hard to say why they might do that to someone.

Turns out it was police forensics as a stabbing last night ended up sadly being a fatality and they were gathering evidence

Master

Turns out it was police forensics as a stabbing last night ended up sadly being a fatality and they were gathering evidence

How on earth can those two things be confused, sounds like:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    More scaremongering.

Blog Entries
    Well, my wife is off to a big international healthcare congress early March. 100% healthcare and medical professionals. So far there are no tell tales of postponing, cancelling or attendees who're afraid / are not allowed to come to the meeting. Everything will go ahead as planned - that is, until now. Feb 29.

Let's see what happens during the next week.

M.

Covid-19 news from around the world: https://www.reddit.com/live/14d816ty1ylvo/

Blog Entries
    Well, my wife is off to a big international healthcare congress early March. 100% healthcare and medical professionals. So far there are no tell tales of postponing, cancelling or attendees who're afraid / are not allowed to come to the meeting. Everything will go ahead as planned - that is, until now. Feb 29.

Let's see what happens during the next week.

On another level: the local supermarket has sold 80% of its hand-soap stock! As if a tornado had hit that aisle and had swooped up all soap.

M.

Easter holidays start in just over a month, with loads of folk off on international holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only mentioned in the context of US companies, not those in the EU or UK.
    Banning such exports from any (UK, EU or US) country is not going to help maximise profits of pharma companies in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Banning such exports from any (UK, EU or US) country is not going to help maximise profits of pharma companies in that country.
    What I posted was:

Now that is interesting. I wonder if the US will implement a similar ban or will their Constitution insist that their companies can make as much of a profit as they can by selling anywhere to anyone?
    ...at no time have I suggested that banning exports (or imports) would "help maximise profits of pharma companies in that country" as regards the US, the UK, the EU or anywhere. Rather, I implied that the US might not follow a similar course to the UK in order that their companies maximise profits.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks, and fully understand that a young child in the mix changes the risk profile. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
    Thanks, appreciate it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

That only applies to England at present I believe?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Sounds like an excuse to enact right wing policies.

The lunatic nationalities which already do this have already failed.

COVID-19 at Pandemic Tipping Point

I havenít travelled for years - work doesnít take me abroad, and having a child with severe learning difficulties and autism makes the concept of a family Ďholidayí (outside of familiar places) a waste of time sadly. But I have to say I wouldnít even consider travelling internationally at all at the moment unless itís a proper necessity. Trust me, You donít really Ďneed that foreign trip, you can go once all this blows over. Iím not worried by this virus at all - but the thought of being stranded abroad for weeks/months if caught in an outbreak is surely not worth risking? I have heard some ridiculous scare-mongering, the usual Ďit was created by scientistsí nonsense, and a few colleagues I thought were sensible, educated people refuse to eat Chinese food at the moment! - like a chicken chow mein made in a factory in Birmingham will give you Coronavirus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited fake news shared on reddit, post deleted

Grand Master
    Processed slop in a tray always best avoided irrespective of dodgy foreign viruses.

Craftsman
    Buy on the dips

Craftsman
    First case identified in Scotland.

I fail to see the point of all the panic. Now that we are finally freed from the shackles of the EUSSR, the NHS has an extra £350 million per week, and on top of that, our Prime Minister has said that we are going to beat this virus.

"Ban on public assemblies of > 100"

Switzerland did > 1000, france is doing > 5000

> 100 would be a downright curfew for all but the menial of tasks like walking the dog.... impossible to enforce

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    "Ban on public assemblies of > 100"

Switzerland did > 1000, france is doing > 5000

> 100 would be a downright curfew for all but the menial of tasks like walking the dog.... impossible to enforce
    Iíve managed for as long as I can remember.

Just had a meeting cancelled in Denmark. Company has banned all external personnel visiting on site. Looks like itís going to get worse before better. Those stock markets are going to go south further yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I fail to see the point of all the panic. Now that we are finally freed from the shackles of the EUSSR, the NHS has an extra £350 million per week, and on top of that, our Prime Minister has said that we are going to beat this virus.
    Why don't you keep it in the BP where it belongs?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 2nd March 2020 at 12:31.
    It's just democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I can't work out if it's sarcasm, sincere or a troll.

Iíve got a friend who owns an events business employing many people. I darenít ask.......

Craftsman
    Agree 100%. Beyond tiresome.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Sound advice in our troubled times...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post

Good advice any time I'd have thought

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Hehe this made me chuckle.

Seriously though, I didn't see what all the fuss was about as I thought flu was just as bad. Turns out, coronavirus is 5-10x deadlier, which made me change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post

Oh no. My non targeting advert on this page is showing me Airygirl face masks! And there was definitely no H at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Unless you suffer from serious respiratory issues certain flue viruses are just as dangerous.
    A relative at the RVI hospital Newcastle, says it has been blown out of proportion by the media.

I damaged my hand at work over three weeks ago, Ended up going to a&e as it was hurting like the bejaysus!

Was in the almost five hours and the place was rammed!, I'm asthmatic and caught a bug that left me coughing every couple of minutes day and night, This went one for ten or twelve days!, It was my first day back today but I still feel rubbish from it!, I had two courses of penicillin too!, For the first week I had to take eight steroid tablets together in the morning!- My body felt great and I coud run up stairs almost! (Was still barking like a dog though!!)

John

Keep what in the BP? I was quoting Boris, on the radio yesterday, he said "we will beat this virus". And it's well-known that the NHS will get an extra £350 mill as part of our Brexit bonus. Nothing remotely contentious in any of that.

Unless you suffer from serious respiratory issues certain flue viruses are just as dangerous.
    A relative at the RVI hospital Newcastle, says it has been blown out of proportion by the media.
    Your relative is not correct. The mortality of this Coronavirus is approx 20x that of 'flu.

All these experts working in hospitals. Are they in catering, IT or something else?

Your relative is not correct. The mortality of this Coronavirus is approx 20x that of 'flu.
    Really? I stand corrected then. Strange the medical profession gets it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Oh no. My non targeting advert on this page is showing me Airygirl face masks! And there was definitely no H at the start.
    Lucky you ....
    Mine is a Free will writing banner ... Lol

Master
    On the topic of the mortality rate compared to flu, I've just googled this:

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; itís 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

Updated about an hour ago.

So that would support the view that the mortality rate might be about 20x that of flu if those figures are roughly correct. But still no cause for alarm for most of us.

Really? I stand corrected then. Strange the medical profession gets it wrong.
    Current real.time death rate is 3.8%. Probably lower due to undiagnosed milder cases and estimates are around 1%.

USA now has a 12% mortality rate as it is starting to get hammered with deaths in the Washington area. Obviously that mortality rate will become lower.

Still, for now, this context should be borne in mind

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    On the topic of the mortality rate compared to flu, I've just googled this:

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; itís 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

Updated about an hour ago.

So that would support the view that the mortality rate might be about 20x that of flu if those figures are roughly correct. But still no cause for alarm for most of us.
    Death rate of all cases. But not all cases have resolved and many will end up in death. So it is worth looking at death rate of resolved cases which shows death rate of 6%. That will creep down as we get better at treating etc. But the maths of looking at death rate against all cases is wrong. But then again how many cases are there out there that we don't know about?

But then again how many cases are there out there that we don't know about?
    The same goes for 'flu. Unless we introduce mass screening, we will only ever have the number of cases who seek medical attention as denominator. This applies for any disease.

Think I'll try & mail order the virus from China so I can catch it & see what all the fuss is about.

I agree with your first statement wholeheartedly, glad to see you understand the reality of the situation.

Keep what in the BP? I was quoting Boris, on the radio yesterday, he said "we will beat this virus". And it's well-known that the NHS will get an extra £350 mill as part of our Brexit bonus. Nothing remotely contentious in any of that.
    Simply trying to help old chap, hate to see you fall foul of the rules.
    It's just democracy.