closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 is now Officially Classified as a Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    They just shut Dulwich Prep, a school in London, over coronavirus fears.
    It sounds as though they have a good reason (link):

A message from the school says: ĎThis is a precautionary measure.

ĎUnrelated pupils from different Sections of school have returned after half term having been on holiday in one of the Category 2 areas. They were healthy when they returned but have since become unwell.

ĎThe families have contacted NHS 111, self-isolated and are awaiting the results of tests.

ĎWe hope to re-open on Monday 2nd March but will publish details as soon as we hear the results of the tests being conducted on our pupils that have fallen ill. However, if either of our pupils test positive for COVID-19 we will remain closed for a longer period while the school undergoes a full deep clean.í

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    First British National death reported, a Diamond Princess passenger.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...boyfriend.html
    Multi scroll page reportage and not a whiff of comment as to his age.
    And at the bottom of that report, a graphic showing global incidences and deaths with the glaring omission of the one UK death it's actually bloody reporting on.
    Daily Mail = Toilet Paper
    Last edited by reggie747; 28th February 2020 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Multi scroll page reportage and not a whiff of comment as to his age.
    You'll probably have to wait until his name is released as an age could act as a partial identification.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You'll probably have to wait until his name is released as an age could act as a partial identification.
    Bit like giving us his shoe size I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Bit like giving us his shoe size I guess....
    I guess that his relatives would be more familiar with his age than his shoe size...

I guess that his relatives would be more familiar with his age than his shoe size...
    They could take a 1 in 78th chance of a guess perhaps ?

He's gonna need identifying sooner or later.

Corona Beer sales down 132m as 1/3 of Americans refuse to buy Corona "under any circumstances"...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9364371.html

https://www.indy100.com/article/coro...survey-9365321

In addition to the victims age, it would be useful to know whether he had any other pre-existing medical conditions. At least people would be able to add some perspective and context.

80+ year old, smoker, diabetic with a pre existing heart and lung condition

vs

30 old super healthy triathlete.

The first is tragic for the victim and family, but a bit meh! The other is the end of the world.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Corona Beer sales down 132m as 1/3 of Americans refuse to buy Corona "under any circumstances"...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9364371.html

https://www.indy100.com/article/coro...survey-9365321

Dos XX is much nicer

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    In addition to the victims age, it would be useful to know whether he had any other pre-existing medical conditions. At least people would be able to add some perspective and context.

80+ year old, smoker, diabetic with a pre existing heart and lung condition

vs

30 old super healthy triathlete.

The first is tragic for the victim and family, but a bit meh! The other is the end of the world.
    I'm sure that those with a need to know already have that information. If you don't mind me asking, how would it assist you, please? I ask as there is plenty on the web about pre-existing conditions (they don't help) etc as they relate to Covid-19, some of it from experts.

I'm sure that those with a need to know already have that information. If you don't mind me asking, how would it assist you, please? I ask as there is plenty on the web about pre-existing conditions (they don't help) etc as they relate to Covid-19, some of it from experts.

Sorry the question was not directed at you. I was thinking about main stream media who broken the “story”, despite failing to actually provide the pertinent information.

As for helping. Yes. Quite a lot really, simply because there are many people who listen to the News on the TV and Radio, who do not have necessary skills, access or time to interrogate the internet. Actually I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the media to provide pertinent info to support its headlines. In fact isn’t that their job? The problem IMHO was that they claimed he died of Corvid -19, which technically might be a lie, especially if he died as a result of a heart attack or respiratory problems, in part caused by a fever and/or pre existing medical conditions, which was bought on my a severe bout of flu, which happened to be Covid 19.

By claiming he died as a direct result of Corvid 19 they are inferring its fatal, which it may be, but then in that case then so is measles, mumps, chicken pox, and a whole host of other viral threats we face every in single day of our life’s.
    Last edited by Andyg; 28th February 2020 at 20:26.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Great, now there is a case about 40 miles away from me.

Someone came back on a plane from Italy.

Sorry the question was not directed at you. I was thinking about main stream media who broken the “story”, despite failing to actually provide the pertinent information.
    No need to apologise as I realised that, thanks. My question remains, how would this 'pertinent information' assist you, please?

There goes the Geneva car show .....

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Great, now there is a case about 40 miles away from me.

Someone came back on a plane from Italy.
    Quick...mask up!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Quick...mask up!
    Could be needed soon.

One minute it is in China.

The next its in the UK.

The next its in Wales.

The next its an hours drive away and my nephew returns tonight from the City where it has been confirmed.

What next ? Down my street....

Sounds pretty sensible. Feels very close to home now ...

It sounds as though they have a good reason (link):

A message from the school says: ĎThis is a precautionary measure.

ĎUnrelated pupils from different Sections of school have returned after half term having been on holiday in one of the Category 2 areas. They were healthy when they returned but have since become unwell.

ĎThe families have contacted NHS 111, self-isolated and are awaiting the results of tests.

ĎWe hope to re-open on Monday 2nd March but will publish details as soon as we hear the results of the tests being conducted on our pupils that have fallen ill. However, if either of our pupils test positive for COVID-19 we will remain closed for a longer period while the school undergoes a full deep clean.í

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Weíre going to be down the road from there shortly. Slightly concerned.
    What are your thoughts? You going to go? Iíve had a good chat with my wife and as we will be travelling with our 4 year old, we are almost certainly not going if itís still there. We are booked with Jet2 and donít hold out much hope of being refunded.

Email from Ocado referring to more and unusually large orders being placed...

Master
    Went to uni today. The young ones are truly terrified. Was not sure how to politely tell them to grow the F up.

Haflewit

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Went to uni today. The young ones are truly terrified. Was not sure how to politely tell them to grow the F up.
    They don't look particularly bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    They don't look particularly bothered.

Superb

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    What are your thoughts? You going to go? Iíve had a good chat with my wife and as we will be travelling with our 4 year old, we are almost certainly not going if itís still there. We are booked with Jet2 and donít hold out much hope of being refunded.
    As things stand at the moment we (me, my wife and my sister) are still hoping to go. Iíve exchanged emails with a friend there and it seems that - outside of the one affected hotel - everything is quite normal at present.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As things stand at the moment we (me, my wife and my sister) are still hoping to go. Iíve exchanged emails with a friend there and it seems that - outside of the one affected hotel - everything is quite normal at present.
    Fingers crossed it stays that way and you have a lovely holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Fingers crossed it stays that way and you have a lovely holiday.
    Thanks, and fully understand that a young child in the mix changes the risk profile. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Blog Entries
    For now, with no proper medicine to cure the virus, it looks like that the old work-horse chloroquine has the best results helping patients to feel better again.

Chloroquine is an old medicine against malaria. A nearly 100 y/old medicine and it's free to produce. Not the definite answer, but it looks as if it helps people to recover. China is currently testing this product.

It would be nice when this is a properly working first line of defense: it's cheap to produce, it's free to produce and it can be produced all over the world. Currently there's only one company producing this stuff. They're situated here in Holland, 20 mins from where I live.

M

Journeyman
    I'm worried about Crufts next week. My wife is going and I was so looking forward to a peaceful weekend. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I'm worried about Crufts next week. My wife is going and I was so looking forward to a peaceful weekend. :)
    Hopefully itís not too ruff for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    They just shut Dulwich Prep, a school in London, over coronavirus fears.
    20min walk away from me. Iím not actually worried for myself but my folks and my partner (she has her own place in north London) Iím supposed to get the train down for my mothers birthday tomorrow. Think Iíll see if she wants me to stay at home!?

No need to apologise as I realised that, thanks. My question remains, how would this 'pertinent information' assist you, please?
    Simply to enable people to perform a basic risk assessment based upon personal circumstances and determine their own precautions based upon said risk.

For example, if we were advised that Covid 19 was deadly to people who were left handed diabetics, with ginger head, blue eyes, who are morbidly obese and have a DVT, then these people need to get a hazmat suit and lock themselves in the basement for the duration.

If however the risks are about the same as normal flu (which kills about 500k globally) per year, then surely the vast majority of people only need to continue to carry on doing what they normally do and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Andyg; 29th February 2020 at 11:08.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Simply to enable people to perform a basic risk assessment based upon personal circumstances and determine their own precautions based upon said risk.

For example, if we were advised that Covid 19 was deadly to people with deadly to left hand diabetics, with ginger head, blue eyes, who are morbidly obese and have a DVT, then these people need to get a hazmat suit and lock themselves in the basement for the duration.

If however the risks are about the same as normal flu (which kills about 500k) per year, then surely the vast majority of people only need to continue to carry on doing what they normally do and hope for the best.
    Wow! You...NB not "people"...are going to do all of that based on individual data from the media. Good luck.

Do you know how old he was yet?
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th February 2020 at 11:05.

Wow! You...NB not "people"...are going to do all of that based on individual data from the media. Good luck.

Do you know how old he was yet?
    Japanese media saying the dead brit was in his 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Japanese media saying the dead brit was in his 70s.
    I read that too...and I already suspected as much from earlier reporting about the Diamond Princess passengers.

Memento Mori

On a more serious note:

This chap is 21
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-coronavirus?

The difference is, young peopleís death rate seems to be a lot lower.
    Memento Mori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    For now, with no proper medicine to cure the virus, it looks like that the old work-horse chloroquine has the best results helping patients to feel better again.

Chloroquine is an old medicine against malaria. A nearly 100 y/old medicine and it's free to produce. Not the definite answer, but it looks as if it helps people to recover. China is currently testing this product.

It would be nice when this is a properly working first line of defense: it's cheap to produce, it's free to produce and it can be produced all over the world. Currently there's only one company producing this stuff. They're situated here in Holland, 20 mins from where I live.

M
    Very interesting, what's the company's name?

Master
    I havenít really had much concern for this to date, went to Sweden this week and again didnít really think about it. Donít know if I am being stupid but I am due to go to Majorca tomorrow with my family (no young children or old folk) and it is causing a little worry. Not so worried about the actual virus but more that governments may over react and start closing things or quarantining etc.

I hate that I have even gotten caught up at all in any stupidity that I feel the news papers and media are causing but I am somewhat concerned. Donít want to bin my holiday but also donít want to expose us to unnecessary risk. We have taken a family vote and we are going, crazy that it is even a discussion point but I guess you need to at least consider the options when family are involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Very interesting, what's the company's name?
    See link for:

The more than 80 clinical trials being conducted in China involve drugs that were developed to treat illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, malaria and Ebola. These candidates include HIV antivirals called protease inhibitors, which work by blocking enzymes the virus needs to replicate, and a malaria drug called chloroquine, which is not an antiviral but has shown some efficacy against COVID-19 in a lab dish.

In answer to your question, the best I can come up with is at this link...Chloroquine.

Update: thieuster may be referring to Ace Pharmaceuticals BV see link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th February 2020 at 12:02.

See link for:
    The more than 80 clinical trials being conducted in China involve drugs that were developed to treat illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, malaria and Ebola. These candidates include HIV antivirals called protease inhibitors, which work by blocking enzymes the virus needs to replicate, and a malaria drug called chloroquine, which is not an antiviral but has shown some efficacy against COVID-19 in a lab dish.

In answer to your question, the best I can come up with is at this link...Chloroquine.

Update: thieuster may be referring to Ace Pharmaceuticals BV see link.
    Chloroquine is produced worldwide, not only in Netherlands, e.g. https://wellonapharma.com/product/ap...uine-phosphate.

Would be interesting, if Coronavirus becomes endemic to see whether those taking Chloroquine for malaria prophylaxis have any immunity.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 29th February 2020 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Chloroquine is produced worldwide, not only in Netherlands, e.g. https://wellonapharma.com/product/ap...uine-phosphate.

Hence my second link showing two company's products used in the UK. If it does prove to be useful then a least it shouldn't be too difficult to step up its product.

Blog Entries
    Ace Pharmaceuticals

- - - Updated - - -

Ace Pharmaceuticals

Hence my second link showing two company's products used in the UK. If it does prove to be useful then a least it shouldn't be too difficult to step up its product.
    Didn't really study your links, should have replied to thieusters post.

Anyway, UK has banned its parallel export https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analy...andidates.html.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I havenít really had much concern for this to date, went to Sweden this week and again didnít really think about it. Donít know if I am being stupid but I am due to go to Majorca tomorrow with my family (no young children or old folk) and it is causing a little worry. Not so worried about the actual virus but more that governments may over react and start closing things or quarantining etc.

I hate that I have even gotten caught up at all in any stupidity that I feel the news papers and media are causing but I am somewhat concerned. Donít want to bin my holiday but also donít want to expose us to unnecessary risk. We have taken a family vote and we are going, crazy that it is even a discussion point but I guess you need to at least consider the options when family are involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont think you are being remotely stupid. As you say, it's not so much the fear of catching it, more the possibility of being caught in a lockdown situation outside of your control.
    In a lockdown such as a cruise ship or hotel the 14 days quarantine clock resets every time a new case is diagnosed there. Trapped for months is a very potential worry!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Anyway, UK has banned its parallel export https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analy...andidates.html.
    Now that is interesting. I wonder if the US will implement a similar ban or will their Constitution insist that their companies can make as much of a profit as they can by selling anywhere to anyone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I dont think you are being remotely stupid. As you say, it's not so much the fear of catching it, more the possibility of being caught in a lockdown situation outside of your control.
    In a lockdown such as a cruise ship or hotel the 14 days quarantine clock resets every time a new case is diagnosed there. Trapped for months is a very potential worry!

Due to pay final balance for a Tenerife break in May and decided to cancel we are both 70 & wife had COPD but biggest concern was as above being in a situation over which we have no control and being a cynic have zero trust in any Countries Govt or Agency.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post

We were meant to be going to venice on Thursday without the kids, have decided to can it, losing 1k in the process. Canít claim it on the insurance as we are choosing not to go. Italy has not closed Venice yet ( probably wonít until there are bodies in the canals, as tourism would be destroyed), the risk of getting quarantined without the kids is too great

Don't be too harsh, he's not even sure it's fatal. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I didn't know what was meant by 'parallel' in this instance and so I had a look online and found:

Parallel imports and exports are based on a fundamental principle of the European Union, namely the free circulation of goods and services. This means that medicines can be purchased and sold across national borders, while keeping the international rules of pharmaceutical trade. Parallel exports therefore are medicines that are sold to another European Member State (or even a European country outside the EU) and are then distributed by the parallel importer on its domestic market.

This means that authorized pharmaceutical wholesalers may import, export and sell medicines. Parallel importing/exporting are a strictly regulated and safety-conscious industry. The importer and exporter moreover, has to meet the strictest legal safety and quality requirements among others.

An imported medicine for instance has to have identical therapeutic properties as the reference medicine that is already on the market in the importing country. These conditions impose a considerable number of restrictions therefore.

Certain companies from Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom, Denmark and Poland are already completely familiar with medicines from other EU countries. Parallel imports of medicines in these countries have been customary and accepted for numerous years. Hungarian companies moreover have been exporting significant volumes of medicines to other EU countries for years as part of the same procedure.

Ambulance outside John Lewis in Kingston right now spraying someone with (I presume) disinfectant. Suspected coronavirus case?