closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 is now Officially Classified as a Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    And Iceland ;-)
    Plenty of those in the UK so we'll be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Plenty of those in the UK so we'll be safe.
    Memento Mori

Probably poor taste to mention this, but there's a rather good mobile phone game called Plague Inc, where the object of the game is to infect the world with a virus. Island nations like Madagascar ans Iceland are some of the harder places to get the virus established. It might even be a little educational.

https://www.ndemiccreations.com/en/22-plague-inc

Probably poor taste to mention this, but there's a rather good mobile phone game called Plague Inc, where the object of the game is to infect the world with a virus. Island nations like Madagascar ans Iceland are some of the harder places to get the virus established. It might even be a little educational.

https://www.ndemiccreations.com/en/22-plague-inc
    Best played on the London Underground or other forms of mass transit? Does it have any sound effects?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I do find it some what amusing that people are wearing face masks and panicking about getting it or the potential to die from it when 65% of the population are obese and will more likely die of related diseases but they manage to remove that face mask to ram yet another MacDonald’s or pizza in!
    I also wonder how many of them wash their hands - and do it properly? https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy...sh-your-hands/

This isn't a bad point. Your immune system is more optimally primed to fight off invasion if your overall health is better. If more people were optimally healthy we could just forget about containment as our bodies will do the rest. Although that being said some people are more susceptable - it isn't just the Elderly but some research is showing increased mortality rates in Asians due to a scientific reason I am too stupid to understand (but was something to do with different T Cells) plus Cytokene Storms.

Mortality rates might be higher overall in UK compared to China due to the vastly different medical resources the Chinese have (they built a hospital in 10 days!). If NHS is already full, adding a couple of thousand pneumonia cases isn't going to be helpful and what you might see is increased mortality in non-Covid cases (or worst case triaging put of Elderly/infirm due to capacity issues). Hopefully we are already investing some of that Ł350m a week into the NHS as we will need it.

I do find it some what amusing that people are wearing face masks and panicking about getting it or the potential to die from it when 65% of the population are obese and will more likely die of related diseases but they manage to remove that face mask to ram yet another MacDonald’s or pizza in!

You would have thought if they cared about their health they would address that first

This is an interesting (and potentially positive) development

https://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/122555

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Isn't it just Chinese state propaganda?

Grand Master
    Based on past and recent performance would seem more likely than not.

Memento Mori

Mortality rates might be higher overall in UK compared to China due to the vastly different medical resources the Chinese have (they built a hospital in 10 days!). .
    It wasn't a hospital. It's a containment centre.

We're also doing very similar.

From a friend in Yorkshire. "A neighbour went to the local hospital and whilst there he saw some groundworks going on, adjacent to the car park, a few trees felled and diggers in levelling the ground

At his appt, he asked the nurse if they were extending the car park

No, she said................that's for a suite of virus isolation pre-fab pods that are being sited there, for the Covid 19 outbreak"

Quote "under control on the Chinese mainland" by the end of April. That begs a question, what does 'under control' mean? The article says "That indicates people will be able to return to their normal work and companies resume normal operations and production by the end of April". It doesn't refer to any restrictions on movement or requirements about behaviour to achieve that end. I suspect that Covid-19 will still be endemic in China but no quite as prevalent as it is at present. Much will depend upon how the rest of the world is coping.

Edit WHO says containment is possible. Link to their news conference on YouTube.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th February 2020 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    It wasn't a hospital. It's a containment centre.

We're also doing very similar.

From a friend in Yorkshire. "A neighbour went to the local hospital and whilst there he saw some groundworks going on, adjacent to the car park, a few trees felled and diggers in levelling the ground

At his appt, he asked the nurse if they were extending the car park

No, she said................that's for a suite of virus isolation pre-fab pods that are being sited there, for the Covid 19 outbreak"
    Which hospital? Link to a news website or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Which hospital? Link to a news website or similar?
    BBC link...How can China build a hospital so quickly?

...It is based on a similar hospital set up in Beijing to help tackle the Sars virus in 2003.

"It's basically a quarantined hospital where they send people with infectious diseases so it has the safety and protective gear in place," said Joan Kaufman, lecturer in global health and social medicine at Harvard Medical School...

See also...China Has Built Over 20 Mass Quarantine Centers For Coronavirus Patients In Wuhan.

I was asking about the Yorkshire hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I was asking about the Yorkshire hospital
    My mistake...my apologies.

Edit: You may find your answer among these hits...link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th February 2020 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    My mistake...my apologies.

Edit: You may find your answer among these hits...link.
    Thanks...and sorry if I came across as being short! Just typing quickly.

Edit: I hope those ‘caravans’ have a nice view for a fortnight’s holiday!

22 year old Iranian Athlete (Futsal) just died of Coronavirus

From elsewhere:-

The clerical regime continues to cover-up the scope of COVID-19 spread in Iran. It disseminates false information, and refuses taking pre-emptive measures and distributing medical equipment to confront the COVID-19. The regime prevented the World Health Organization delegation from entering Iran.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Having cancelled their 6 Nations match, this is just what they were trying to avoid: Northern Ireland diagnoses first coronavirus case..."Authorities said the patient had travelled from northern Italy via Dublin and had showed a presumptive positive result, which would be confirmed by a lab in England."

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Having cancelled their 6 Nations match, this is just what they were trying to avoid: Northern Ireland diagnoses first coronavirus case..."Authorities said the patient had travelled from northern Italy via Dublin and had showed a presumptive positive result, which would be confirmed by a lab in England."
    TBH, whilst it is probably the most responsible thing to do - it feels like it's delaying the inevitable.....

What's the advice about what to do should you become ill with this thing? There only seems to be advice about what to do before you become ill. Dial 111?

What's the advice about what to do should you become ill with this thing? There only seems to be advice about what to do before you become ill. Dial 111?
    Yeah, dial 111 and self-isolate if you fear you might have it.

The reality is you’ll have a cold. Or another bug. Or a hangover.

Maybe we should rename this virus. Something like CORVID-19?

Memento Mori

Dial 111?
    Who may send you for a drive-bythrough test.

Master
    What are people thinking about going on holidays?

I am taking the family to Majorca for the week next week. Not really overly worried about catching anything but am a little concerned about governments over reacting and closing countries/quarantining etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to predict TBH.

Heading off to Dubai tomorrow - not fussed if we end up having to stay for a couple of extra weeks!.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

I am taking the family to Majorca for the week next week. Not really overly worried about catching anything but am a little concerned about governments over reacting and closing countries/quarantining etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

Go and enjoy yourself. I was in Vietnam earlier this month and will be back there again next week.

Hmmm, I off to Norway mid March, well I hope I am.

Grand Master
    Aevig produce a field watch named Corvid, all this talk of covid has been subliminally bringing the watch to the back of my mind.

https://aevig.com/corvid-fieldwatch/

Craftsman
    Its all the traveling abroad people do now that spread it so fast. You only have to look at this thread and everyone here is an international jetsetter lol

Master
    What a bunch of wimps worrying about COVID-19 last week i had to worry about this...

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Its all the traveling abroad people do now that spread it so fast. You only have to look at this thread and everyone here is an international jetsetter lol
    Agree, loads of unnecessary meetings and conferences don't help.

Grand Master
    The Swiss just banned large gatherings of 1000 or more so I guess that's the Geneva motor show off then.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The Swiss just banned large gatherings of 1000 or more so I guess that's the Geneva motor show off then.
    Shame for the motor industry.

I do wonder what the thought process is sometimes TBH - ok for 999 people to assemble but not 1001......?

Blog Entries
    A source? Because a young person dying of this virus is rather unusual until now: most casualties were elder people. E.g. the patients in France and Italy were over 75 y/o.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    A source? Because a young person dying of this virus is rather unusual until now: most casualties were elder people. E.g. the patients in France and Italy were over 75 y/o.
    Was on BBC website yesterday.

See link.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, interesting to google her name. The only Elham Sheikhi who turns up is an employee of the Department of Clinical Biomedical Engineering, Tehran Medical Sciences Branch, Islamic Azad University Tehran, Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Yup, it had been cancelled.

I was supposed to be going there Monday week, not any more.

You would have thought if they cared about their health they would address that first
    You are assuming people are both rational and intelligent. Rookie mistake!!!

Thanks, interesting to google her name. The only Elham Sheikhi who turns up is an employee of the Department of Clinical Biomedical Engineering, Tehran Medical Sciences Branch, Islamic Azad University Tehran, Iran.

Works here, e.g.: -

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/football.../30458514.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fncyePaGI_8
    https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/...0-1659860d4b0d

Craftsman
    The worrying thing is that the mortality rate appears to be much higher where there is a large cluster of infections, presumably because the hospitals don’t have sufficient intensive care facilities for all those that need it. About 20% of those infected need hospitalisation, there is no way the NHS could cope with a major outbreak here. There simply aren’t enough hospital beds and ventilators for all those that would need one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think the risk to anyone of any age shouldn’t be underestimated. My wife caught bacterial pneumonia about 2 months ago and I’ve never seen someone so ill for a long time. We ended up at A&E to get a stronger set of antibiotics that a GP could prescribe. The chest x-ray showed a quarter of the lung collapsed from it. Prior to that, I’d dismissed flu as just being a nuisance like a cold rather than something potentially life threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The worrying thing is that the mortality rate appears to be much higher where there is a large cluster of infections, presumably because the hospitals don’t have sufficient intensive care facilities for all those that need it. About 20% of those infected need hospitalisation, there is no way the NHS could cope with a major outbreak here. There simply aren’t enough hospital beds and ventilators for all those that would need one.
    This is very true.
    From a surgeon I know, if the proverbial hits the fan:
    No one over 50yr eligible for ITU
    Max period on ventilation without sign of improvement 48hr (before "unplugged")
    More than one organ system involved=not eligible for ITU or ventilation withdrawn if already on ITU

Then of course you have the issue with disposing of the bodies, etc.

Fortunately, we're not there yet.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 10th March 2020 at 11:58. Reason: corrected the age limit
    Memento Mori

Keep calm and carry on :D

Now were getting to some potentially really scary stuff.
    There have been reports of people being clear and then testing positive up to 30 days later,(which makes a mockery of 14 day quarantine), but now there are reports that 14% later tested positive for a second time.
    That possibly puts the virus with other viruses that cannot be shifted and REACTIVATE, e.g. Herpes simplex (cold sores) or Herpes Zoster (chickenpox firstly followed by shingles later) and possibly means lifetime carriers.

And if that's not enough of a concern, simplex and zoster still have no cure and Herpes simplex in particular would earn millions for drug companies if they had a cure and they're still trying. So don't necessarily expect a vaccine in the near future.

First British National death reported, a Diamond Princess passenger.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...boyfriend.html

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This is very true.
    From a surgeon I know, if the proverbial hits the fan:
    No one over 40yr eligible for ITU
    Max period on ventilation without sign of improvement 48hr (before "unplugged")
    More than one organ system involved=not eligible for ITU or ventilation withdrawn if already on ITU

Then of course you have the issue with disposing of the bodies, etc.

Fortunately, we're not there yet.
    Then best get it early.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...-for-2nd-time/

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Keep calm and carry on :D

Now were getting to some potentially really scary stuff.
    There have been reports of people being clear and then testing positive up to 30 days later,(which makes a mockery of 14 day quarantine), but now there are reports that 14% later tested positive for a second time.
    That possibly puts the virus with other viruses that cannot be shifted and REACTIVATE, e.g. Herpes simplex (cold sores) or Herpes Zoster (chickenpox firstly followed by shingles later) and possibly means lifetime carriers.

And if that's not enough of a concern, simplex and zoster still have no cure and Herpes simplex in particular would earn millions for drug companies if they had a cure and they're still trying. So don't necessarily expect a vaccine in the near future.

They just shut Dulwich Prep, a school in London, over coronavirus fears.