closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 is now Officially Classified as a Pandemic

COVID-19 is now Officially Classified as a Pandemic

****Title changed from 'COVID-19 at Pandemic Tipping Point' to reflect that it is now officially classified as a pandemic****

Sh1t is getting real.

Outside of China, there is now 600+ cases in South Korea, 150+ both Italy and Japan. Italy only had 3 cases on a Friday.

Europe canít enforce some sort of martial law like China has in an effort to contain the virus from spreading.

Only 2% death rate, but still not low enough odds for my liking.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 11th March 2020 at 17:36.

Master
    Very much unimpressed.

Fatalities seem to be elderly folks with/and those with existing medical conditions.

Crack on, nothing you and I can do - the majority that test positive show no symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sh1t is getting real.

Outside of China, there is now 600+ cases in South Korea, 150+ both Italy and Japan. Italy only had 3 cases on a Friday.

Europe canít enforce some sort of martial law like China has in an effort to contain the virus from spreading.

Only 2% death rate, but still not low enough odds for my liking.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Of course we should worry about a new virus which we have no protection against. But we should also consider that in the US alone, flu (a corona virus) infects 9-45 million people and kills 12,000-61,000 people per year.

UK flu deaths run high (2013 was almost 13,000).

Stick to advice being given.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Of course we should worry about a new virus which we have no protection against. But we should also consider that in the US alone, flu (a corona virus) infects 9-45 million people and kills 12,000-61,000 people per year.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    This https://www.worldometers.info/ suggests that there have been 72k worldwide deaths to date due to flu compared to 2625 for COVID-19.

Unless you suffer from serious respiratory issues certain flue viruses are just as dangerous.
    A relative at the RVI hospital Newcastle, says it has been blown out of proportion by the media.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Unless you suffer from serious respiratory issues certain flue viruses are just as dangerous.
    A relative at the RVI hospital Newcastle, says it has been blown out of proportion by the media.
    Does that sound like the 'Mexican flu' of 2009? The A/H1N1 virus? One thing was sure about that flu: big names like Boots and other pharma companies made lots of money out of it.

Master

More in another thread...see this link Coronavirus.

Edit Now posted in that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    WHO DG's opening remarks at COVID-19 briefing 24 Feb 2020

...WHO has already declared a public health emergency of international concern Ė our highest level of alarm Ė when there were less than 100 cases outside China, and 8 cases of human-to-human transmission.

Our decision about whether to use the word ďpandemicĒ to describe an epidemic is based on an ongoing assessment of the geographical spread of the virus, the severity of disease it causes and the impact it has on the whole of society.

For the moment, we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus, and we are not witnessing large-scale severe disease or death.

Does this virus have pandemic potential? Absolutely, it has. Are we there yet? From our assessment, not yet.

So how should we describe the current situation?

What we see are epidemics in different parts of the world, affecting countries in different ways and requiring a tailored response.

The sudden increase in new cases is certainly very concerning.

I have spoken consistently about the need for facts, not fear.

Using the word pandemic now does not fit the facts, but it may certainly cause fear.

This is not the time to focus on what word we use.

That will not prevent a single infection today, or save a single life today...
    Last edited by PickleB; 24th February 2020 at 17:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Itís actually frightening how this is escalating on a global basis. Heaven forbid if it gets virulent in Africa, who do not have any resources or budget to control it.

I think it is definitely the media getting carried away. That said it does seem more contagious than flu so even if the percentage mortality rate is the same it does have the potenial to affect a larger number of the population. It has also arrived at a bad time - winter with the population contained and so far more easily spread.

What does seem certain is they won't be able to contain it for much longer but I can see why Italy is trying as the longer it is contained the better data and less panic they will have and also the greater the chances that infection rates drop as people are outside more with the warmer temperatures (as happens each "flu season").

Craftsman
    We have a scaremonger in our office.... Don't travel this way, don't travel that way, don't go here, don't go there.... And there are people genuinely concerned and quite worried now in the office. I'm sure it's not a pleasant thing to have, but as a previous reply says it tends to be the elderly or already ill that are at risk of death.

Deleted as should have been in Bear Pit not G&D
    Last edited by ryanb741; 25th February 2020 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Itís actually frightening how this is escalating on a global basis. Heaven forbid if it gets virulent in Africa, who do not have any resources or budget to control it.
    If it gets a hold in Madagascar ...

Is it time to start panic buying bread yet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    8% death rate in over 70s and 14% death rate in over 80s. If it hits the UK there's a decent chance we could vote and remain in the EU by the end of the year!
    G&D - "Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion"

Maybe you need to add a Stop Ageism avatar to your Stop Racism?

Wannabe moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post

You feeling ok?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post

Well said but you won't win any friends for pointing out the truth.

Craftsman
    I have a friend who works at the RVI and she works on a ward that will potentially deal with coronavirus patients. Are they making preparations? Of course. Do they think the media are blowing it out of all proportion? Absolutely!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

From this week's Private Eye:

Good that random people at a random hospital don't think it's too serious.

Master
    Just stock up on Lemsip and youíll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just stock up on Lemsip and youíll be just fine.
    I'm afraid it might already be a bit late for that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Good that random people at a random hospital don't think it's too serious.
    I'm sure they will turn to Internet Forum experts when they need help.

Italy

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has admitted that a hospital in the country's north had contributed to the spread of the deadly coronavirus, raising questions about whether the European nation is capable of containing the outbreak.

Italy now has the highest number of coronavirus infections outside Asia, as 54 new cases were detected in the country's north overnight, bringing the total to 283, the Italian civil protection agency said Tuesday. The cases are heavily concentrated in the region of Lombardy where 212 infections have been confirmed. Seven people have so far died from the virus in the country.

"Obviously we cannot predict the progress of the virus. It is clear that there has been an outbreak and it has spread from there," Conte told reporters Monday evening, referring to the hospital where the first case was confirmed.

He added that it was clear "there has been a management of the hospital not entirely proper according to prudent protocols, which are recommended in these cases, and this has certainly contributed to the spread."

Conte did not elaborate on what protocols were breached.

Italian authorities have not been able to identify Patient 0, the term given to the person who brought the coronavirus into the country, a crucial piece of information that could potentially prevent new clusters of cases...

The BBC is reporting cases in Rome and Sicily and that an Italian doctor has taken it to Tenerife. Meanwhile the ECDC and WHO joint mission to Italy arrives today...link.

The flu in any form scares me, I have a 12 year old son with Muscular Dystrophy, if he was to get the flu it could be very serious for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I'm sure they will turn to Internet Forum experts when they need help.

Yes, thereís even doctors here.

Blog Entries

12h00 CET Italy

Coronavirus: 283 cases detected in Italy
    25 February 2020
    Update h. 12.00 PM

At the Headquarters of the Department of Civil Protection, the Operational Committee continues to work in order to ensure the coordination of response operations by the components and operational structures of the National Civil Protection Service.

As regards health monitoring related to the spread of Coronavirus on national territory, 283 people have been reported as currently infected in 7 regions and in an autonomous Province.

In detail: there are 212 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Lombardy, 38 in Veneto, 23 in Emilia-Romagna, 3 in Piedmont, 3 in Lazio, 2 in Tuscany, 1 in Sicily, 1 in the Autonomous Province of Bolzano. 109 patients are hospitalized with symptoms, 29 are in Intensive Care, while 137 are in home isolation. One person has recovered, while 7 have died.

18h00 CET Italy

Coronavirus: 322 cases ascertained in Italy
    February 25 2020
    Update at 18.00

At the headquarters of the Department of Civil Protection, the work of the Operating Committee continues in order to ensure the coordination of the interventions of the components and operational structures of the National Civil Protection Service.

As part of health monitoring related to the spread of Coronavirus on the national territory, 322 people are currently infected in 8 regions and in an autonomous Province.

In detail: there are 240 cases of Coronavirus in Lombardy, 43 in Veneto, 26 in Emilia-Romagna, 3 in Piedmont, 3 in Lazio, 3 in Sicily, 2 in Tuscany, one in Liguria, one in the Autonomous Province of Bolzano. 114 patients are hospitalized with symptoms, 35 are in intensive care, while 162 are in home isolation. One person has recovered, while 10 have died.

8% death rate in over 70s and 14% death rate in over 80s. If it hits the UK there's a decent chance we could vote and remain in the EU by the end of the year!
    But the young snowflakes with all their allergies and issues will be too scared to leave their bedsits to go out and vote.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    But the young snowflakes with all their allergies and issues will be too scared to leave their bedsits to go out and vote.
    Very true! Any vaccine is likely to have been tested on animals anyway so not vegan compliant.

In all seriousness take care everyone and look after your elders/vulnerable. Our office in Milan is shut and a couple of co-workers affected and from what I'm hearing from boots on the ground there this is NOT 'just like flu' - people are getting seriously unwell and it isn't just the elderly either

Master
    Blog Entries
    As we've already left the EU, it would have to be a vote on rejoining.

Proper flu is just awful - the numbers for 'traditional' flu dwarf this new one beyond belief.

Time will tell.

Very true! Any vaccine is likely to have been tested on animals anyway so not vegan compliant.

In all seriousness take care everyone and look after your elders/vulnerable. Our office in Milan is shut and a couple of co-workers affected and from what I'm hearing from boots on the ground there this is NOT 'just like flu' - people are getting seriously unwell and it isn't just the elderly either

It was comforting to land in Switzerland and read that the first case has just been diagnosed here... an asthmatic son is a worry when I go back. I do think itís being over-blown, but a further mutation could make it far more serious.

The only comfort is that if there was a genuine high risk then travel restrictions etc would already be in place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The only comfort is that if there was a genuine high risk then travel restrictions etc would already be in place.
    Thatís a very generous view! I think business and government will only take action if it gets very serious. I really hope it doesnít.

Blog Entries
    Iíll stick to my apple a day, thatíll do the trick.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Im one of those with a pre existing condition ie a compromised immune system so would likely be screwed if it's as serious as the media seems to make out , but since I survived bird flu and swine flu ( which the wife was very ill with) I cant be too concerned

Blog Entries
    Oh, btw, all the electro shops are getting low on stock, and when you have all your eggs in one basket, like the Apple shops, you are seriously fícucked. Dutch news showed empty warehouses and higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Im one of those with a pre existing condition ie a compromised immune system so would likely be screwed if it's as serious as the media seems to make out , but since I survived bird flu and swine flu ( which the wife was very ill with) I cant be too concerned
    Swine flu and bird flu? My goodness!

Were you prescribed any oinkment, or just rest and parakeetamols?

Craftsman

I flew to Oslo yesterday and my flight was delayed by 90 hours due to the plane being delyaed on its previous flight from Milan. I did wonder what precuations would have been taken to prevent any possible infection spreading on the plane. Given speed of turnarund I suspect none! Easy to see how this can spread far and wide so easily.

Master
    I think itís quite easy to trivialise things like this if youíve never really been ill. Iíd barely had a day off in 25 years. Around 6 years ago aged 43 I fell ill suddenly with pneumonia and ended up being hospitalised. It was truly awful. Iíve never totally been right since then, an almost ever present cough, more colds, labyrinthitis and generally more susceptible to ailments. This sort of thing really concerns me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think itís quite easy to trivialise things like this if youíve never really been ill. Iíd barely had a day off in 25 years. Around 6 years ago aged 43 I fell ill suddenly with pneumonia and ended up being hospitalised. It was truly awful. Iíve never totally been right since then, an almost ever present cough, more colds, labyrinthitis and generally more susceptible to ailments. This sort of thing really concerns me.
    It is quite easy to trivialise things.Simply depends on your point of view. Bring it on.

They have something every yeat don't they?

SARS, Bird Flu, Ebola...

Yes, it's bad if you're weak, but it's not the new Black Death the press are making ot out to be...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    They have something every yeat don't they?

SARS, Bird Flu, Ebola...

Yes, it's bad if you're weak, but it's not the new Black Death the press are making ot out to be...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    You should take extra care, a temperature would certainly effect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    You should take extra care, a temperature would certainly effect you.
    ISWYDH
    Memento Mori

I hope this isnít true, I just heard about a family in west Essex returned from northern Italy from half term holiday, the mother has been told by her employer to stay at home for two weeks, yet she has sent her son to school.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I hope this isn’t true, I just heard about a family in west Essex returned from northern Italy from half term holiday, the mother has been told by her employer to stay at home for two weeks, yet she has sent her son to school.
    Which part of Northern Italy did they return from and which part do you hope isn't true?
    I was out socially with a couple who have just returned from skiing in Passo Tonale, flying from Bergamo, and have no concerns.
    Unless they've returned from very specific parts of Italy (and assuming they are asymptomatic) I reckon the employer has over-reacted.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Which part of Northern Italy did they return from and which part do you hope isn't true?
    I was out socially with a couple who have just returned from skiing in Passo Tonale, flying from Bergamo, and have no concerns.
    Unless they've returned from very specific parts of Italy I reckon the employer has over-reacted.
    so if your employer told you to stay home, you would send your kids to school anyway? did your friends know where all the other people on their plane had been?

Airports and aeroplanes(*) are the riskiest places, I'd say.

If we're expected to self-isolate for two weeks, does that imply we should have enough food in the house for two weeks?

(*)Is 'aeroplane' still a word, or have we rolled over and started using 'airplane'?