closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Midlife Walt Crisis

Midlife Walt Crisis

Well, maybe not the Walt bit as have absolutely no intention of claiming to be in the military or wearing medals, camouflage paint / cream, or shouting at on me and stand to etc.

I have become keen on purchasing some woodland camo US BDU shirts for general wear, camping and walking. Will not be carrying weapons, peace keeping or hanging around on Embassy walls.

I am mid 40's and not built for speed.

Am I odd, losing the plot or even stupid for asking this question here. Just get it, wear it and enjoy it for its practicality, durability and cool style.

Best,

Ben (They drew first blood)

I do like a pair of Navy Blue BDU cargo shorts for their utilitarianism (see 40yr +) but.....Woodland camo? What are you camouflaging yourself from?

For full midlife crisis effect maybe go with Nam era Tiger Stripe? Even better if you have people to embarrass, like teenage kids. I have garish Hawaiian shirts that serve that purpose. They are the antithesis of camouflage but have the same effect! 😁

Hello

You weren't there man!

Woodland, so I can jump out on the child and the lunatic dog and frighten them.

Nothing specific just think it looks ok as opposed to the ACP / Desert stuff.

Blog Entries
    Buy it. Wear it. Enjoy.

(you don't need permission!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I don't think that your a potential WALT. I reckon your just going through an early midlife crisis.

Alot of the shopping outlet items are designed around militaria.

All of this is fine, but there are limits in what you wear without kicking the arse out of it and taking the urine, because in doing this you will get found out.

Craftsman
    I could tell You but I would have to kill You.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Woodland, so I can jump out on the child and the lunatic dog and frighten them.
    Well that’s the perfect reason. It’s not even midlife, it’s ‘Dad’ ! 

Bonus points for tiger stripe though!
    Last edited by Matt London; 23rd February 2020 at 18:50. Reason: Tiger stripe

Blog Entries
    Just don't go too far with the camo theme..................

Hello

Yes, no ghillie suits or respirators.

Especially not on the tube.....

Sorry, but wearing BDU in public is always going to be a little bit walty. People are usually going to think one of the following:
    a) you're ex-forces but still wearing uniform therefore a bit of dick.
    b) you're not ex-forces but wearing uniform therefore a bit of a dick.
    c) you're in the forces but only wearing part of your uniform so you're not only in trouble but you're also a bit of a dick.

HTH :D

Hello

Key takeaway from Lampoc is, you're a dick / I'm going to be a dick but then aren't we all a bit of dick sometimes.

I like C though, improperly dressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Sorry, but wearing BDU in public is always going to be a little bit walty. People are usually going to think one of the following:
    a) you're ex-forces but still wearing uniform therefore a bit of dick.
    b) you're not ex-forces but wearing uniform therefore a bit of a dick.
    c) you're in the forces but only wearing part of your uniform so you're not only in trouble but you're also a bit of a dick.

I die a little inside every time I see this. Exceptions: builders wearing DPM trousers, farmers wearing a smock. That's it.

Edit: nah, I don't die a little inside, I don't really care, but I will still make the assumptions Lampoc spoke of.

Hello

I'm not wearing a smock!

Although I am from Devon and have done a lot of fishing. I'm not a barbarian you know....

Every day is a mid life crisis after 50!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just don't go too far with the camo theme..................

I can't see anything in this pic???

Standing on a civilian firing range at the weekend I was the only person there not in some form of camo, one guy was dressed up in a full ghilli suit - a tubby 60 (ish) year old man living out his sniper fantasy.
    I did point out I could see him but the joke was lost on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    a) you're ex-forces but still wearing uniform therefore a bit of d**k.
    b) you're not ex-forces but wearing uniform therefore a bit of a d**k.
    c) you're in the forces but only wearing part of your uniform so you're not only in trouble but you're also a bit of a d**k.

On the other hand, it does provide a useful identifier to the rest of us that the wearer is potentially* a collection of gentleman's vegetables. You could argue that it's an invaluable public service, Lamps.

*Definitely not the OP though as he has used irony and humour in his post, which often indicate self-awareness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I can't see anything in this pic???

Look again, can you see the watch?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Well, maybe not the Walt bit as have absolutely no intention of claiming to be in the military or wearing medals, camouflage paint / cream, or shouting at on me and stand to etc.

I have become keen on purchasing some woodland camo US BDU shirts for general wear, camping and walking. Will not be carrying weapons, peace keeping or hanging around on Embassy walls.

I am mid 40's and not built for speed.

Am I odd, losing the plot or even stupid for asking this question here. Just get it, wear it and enjoy it for its practicality, durability and cool style.

Best,

Ben (They drew first blood)
    Luckily I did all the combat jacket, para boots fatigues many moons ago. Back in the 1970's Israeli camouflage was all the rage. British cam was never allowed to be resold?
    These days I tend to wear many shades of grey, under armour do plenty. My partner does not like me to wear anything with writing on it, definitely no bands shirts! Fishermen (the freshwater kind) do a lot of camouflage, not sure it looks good on a walker. Surely more hi visibility is more appropriate?
    Have you looked on Bear Grylls site? https://www.beargrylls.com/collections/clothing

Hello

I'll have at his website but part of the reason for the camo was that it was cheap and seems to be reliable and durable.

I imagine his stuff is expensive but will have a look.

Just buy what you like. A lot of stuff made will be to a price, it all will really, but some is very hard wearing and might even look ok.

A lot of fashions are based on ex military, and you only need to look at flight jackets and cold weather coats etc. You can be any look in fashion clothing, so buying military surplus should be much cheaper, and who cares?!
    It's just a matter of time...

Just no.

No.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Years back I considered taking up airsoft skirmishing, but decided I was past the age of playing soldiers (an experience with some anally retentive paintballers didn't help either), but somewhere in my loft is a uk camo jacket and trousers I bought with it in mind.

I sometimes think of digging the jacket out as I imagine it's pretty water resistant and hard wearing, but I never have...

That said, I don't automatically assume anyone in a camo jacket is (or wants to be) military, quite the opposite as no one around Aldershot seems to wear uniform any more...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Whilst I accept that, for example, a Burberry trench coat is effectively a WWI combat jacket I would advise against.

I recall spending most of my rather short and uneventful military career trying to wear service dress as much as possible; the other thing I remember was being perpetually worried about being caught out in “mixed dress”.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Do people feel there’s a difference between army surplus camo and the commercial hunting’n shooting varieties?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Years back I considered taking up airsoft skirmishing, but decided I was past the age of playing soldiers (an experience with some anally retentive paintballers didn't help either), but somewhere in my loft is a uk camo jacket and trousers I bought with it in mind.

I sometimes think of digging the jacket out as I imagine it's pretty water resistant and hard wearing, but I never have..
    Why not dig it out and put it on SC- especially if it's an XXL size. Plenty around here seem to...

Personally I don't think camo is ever a good look in civvy street.

If you wear ex WD stuff it looks like you have Walt fantasies and if you wear the modern hunting camo it looks like you want to kill something.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

If you wear ex WD stuff it looks like you have Walt fantasies and if you wear the modern hunting camo it looks like you want to kill something.
    Illegal in parts of the Caribbean for civvies to wear camouflage.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Why not dig it out and put it on SC- especially if it's an XXL size. Plenty around here seem to...
    Sadly a meagre large and anyway it was so long ago it's probably buried below my grown up children's disused toys now...

Going back even further I had a pair of army surplus trousers from Oswald Bailey that I wore with a black mohair jumper in my slightly punk days!

Waltism was the very last thing on my mind then (or since to be honest), the idea that only ex-servicemen have the right to wear old army jackets is nonsense (insignia may be different and awards absolutely is).

There's a huge difference between some one wearing a surplus jacket to keep off the weather rather than spending £300 on some branded equivalent and people claiming credit for service or acts of bravery.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 25th February 2020 at 23:29.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

I always thought flecktarn camo worked rather well. And had the advantage of not being associated with UK services and Waltism quite as much.

Hello

Some contrasting views.

I can confirm should I get this there will be no medals, no insignia, and no killing things!