closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Super fast broadband- really worth it?

Super fast broadband- really worth it?

We moved before Christmas and whilst it wasn’t going to be a major issue I knew that the broadband speed in the area wasn't going to be great. Our then current provider Virgin weren’t in the area and so the likes of BT, Talktalk, sky were going to be the only options. Because the lad wanted TV in his bedroom the only option was to go with Sky where you can get the additional box and sky go app which was perfect.
    We had problems with openreach not connecting us for about 7 weeks however once we were all connected I was getting about 6meg
    Sky movies wasn't working very well although normal internet was. I was advised by sky that the signal was likely to improve over time and they were correct and now I’m getting around 10-15 consistently. There is only fibre to the box which about 1/2 mile away and the connection to the house is just conventional cabling. Unless the infrastructure changes dramatically it looks like how it will stay.
    On my wireless box it’s connected to 4 mobile phones, 2 iPad pros, 2 sky boxes, 2 normal TVs streaming Netflix and 3 Xbox ones. As yet we’ve not experienced any connection or streaming/ buffer issues at all, there is generally multiple connections going on which is even more surprising.
    Leads me to believe that we’re all/were probably paying for vastly ramped up internet speeds that we actually don’t need and certainly not using. It’s clear to see that ( I’m no expert in this field) that quality is probably vastly better than quantity....I could be wrong but I’m sure there’s somebody on here that can confirm either way?

FFF

I went from Virgin (100mb) to Sky for the same reason, now get around 14-15mb and it’s okay, Call of Duty updates can take a while, I think the last one was 88gb, just leave my PC on over night and it’s done by the next day, would like faster speeds but just can’t get anything other than dial up.

Blog Entries
    What is your need/s in our case we average around 40 mbps and have Sky Q , netflix, youtube,2 mobiles,2i pads this meets our needs no gamers or film downloaders in the house just two old people we have had no issues with buffering.If you do not need it why pay for it and certainly have a conversation that relates to my download speed is bigger than yours
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    We had 2Mb for 19 years, it was very frustrating. Got Fibre to the Cabinet now and get 24Mb +/- 3Mb depending on conditions.

I find it adequate for streaming Netfix 4K and phones, ipads, PC, laptop etc.

We cant get higher, but even if we could i dont think i would pay extra for it.

FFF, what about a wireless SIM only router ?

I picked up one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a SMARTY 4G sim at £ 18.75 per month, no contractual obligations and average 18 meg download and 5 meg upload speeds.

I have an Imac, 2 phones, Prime and Netflix and have no stutter or issues of any sort.

You may have seen this mighty thread about it here...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...lace-broadband

Edit:

Sorry, I just re-read your post properly and in my former house we had Virgin 100meg which was, on reflection, way way more than we had ever needed but coming off the back of Sky BB, which was totally crapola, it was fab (but under used or over fed)
    Last edited by reggie747; 23rd February 2020 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    FFF, what about a wireless SIM only router ?

I picked up one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a SMARTY 4G sim at £ 18.75 per month, no contractual obligations and average 18 meg download and 5 meg upload speeds.

I have an Imac, 2 phones, Prime and Netflix and have no stutter or issues of any sort.

You may have seen this mighty thread about it here...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...lace-broadband

Edit:

Sorry, I just re-read your post properly and in my former house we had Virgin 100meg which was, on reflection, way way more than we had ever needed but coming off the back of Sky BB, which was totally crapola, it was fab (but under used or over fed)
    I looked in to this or something similar when openreach told me I was looking at a substantial wait to be connected- problem is that 4g is very sketchy in the area and so wasn’t sure what the speeds would actually be, other issue of course being tied in to a contract with sky

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I looked in to this or something similar when openreach told me I was looking at a substantial wait to be connected- problem is that 4g is very sketchy in the area and so wasn’t sure what the speeds would actually be, other issue of course being tied in to a contract with sky
    Ah, I see. The testicle grip that Sky introduce is a pain in the front (and the rear) !!

Master
    I’m getting around 10-15 consistently. ...On my wireless box it’s connected to 4 mobile phones, 2 iPad pros, 2 sky boxes, 2 normal TVs streaming Netflix and 3 Xbox ones. As yet we’ve not experienced any connection or streaming/ buffer issues at all, there is generally multiple connections going on which is even more surprising.
    I don't know anything about the tech but from personal experience I would say you are having a large slice of luck!

I switched from the superfast Virgin 100meg to their next one down (50meg I think). I have noticed no difference. Apparently the benefit of 100meg is only fealt if you are running many devices in the household at the same time.

I'm finding Smarty 4G ok in Bassett...

Blog Entries
    We get between 80-110 mbps download, and have a Virgin wi-fi booster to give better coverage through the house. Was a lot slower until I moaned to Virgin and they seem to have upped their game somehow and their engineer said there was a fault on our cable as well. Also had trouble with Netflix freezing all the time but upgrading to their lates tv box (free upgrade) sorted that as well.

Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd February 2020 at 19:28.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm finding Smarty 4G ok in Bassett...

Moved 4 miles up the road now

Moved 4 miles up the road now
    Oh, you'll get no reception that far in the wilderness!

Went from 0.75 mbps to 75 mbps.

Cities and large towns benefitted from early fiber technology called fiber to the cabinet and unless you paid extra the final stretch to your house was old cables.

Here in Rural back of beyond we didn't get anything.

In that gap fiber to the node was developed and BT has put fiber all the way into our houses for free.

Justice served I would say lol.

Super fast broadband- really worth it?

Here in the Netherlands this is the mid-range!

All TV and internet delivered to your property by coaxial cable.
    The Government funded the rollout starting in the 80’s.
    This is from my iPad whilst streaming 4K Netflix and having about 20 different devices connected!

TBH I hadn’t noticed that lack of TV aerials and dishes until it was pointed out.

Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
    Samuel Johnson

Master
    Dudley if you're the same as us, now you're much closer, sadly 6 is about as good as it gets. I never see any better. As I understand it we are limited by the copper cables we have so it doesn't matter what you sign up for you aren't going to get better than the infrastructure will support. No cable here although gigaclear have put a load of stuff in very recently but I don't think it is actually working yet.
    I'm considering mobile but I need to check what coverage we get.As you say its not a great area for that either!

Master
    I have a steady 300mb and to be honest we really don’t need anywhere near that. Only got it because I was so excited about getting direct fibre to my house. We live in the middle of nowhere and we used to get 1.5mb. I may have over corrected........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk