closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines Conquest GMT Automatic 41mm - rotor noise?

Journeyman

Question Longines Conquest GMT Automatic 41mm - rotor noise?

Hi All,

Hope you're well. A few months ago I bought a Longines Conquest GMT Automatic (reference L3.687.4.99.6) but haven't worn it until now (I've been enjoying wearing my ceramic HydroConquest chrono too much!).

I got the bracelet re-sized yesterday and started wearing it and immediately noticed how much louder the rotor noise is than my other automatics. It also exhibits the 'Valjoux wobble' more freely than my HydroConquest chronograph which also has a modified Valjoux 7750 movement. When I move my wrist in certain ways it causes the rotor to spin in the non-winding direction quite freely and this can be heard (at least to me).

I've looked online and on this forum and can see that others have mentioned the rotor wobble and noise, but I just wanted to see if there were any other opinions on this, maybe even from others who own this particular model also.

Here's a wrist shot I snapped yesterday: https://i.imgur.com/9nyKylB.jpg

Master
    I’ve got the Longines Heritage Chrono 1967 which also has quite a noise to it. Was pretty concerned at first but same as you was reassured by others comments.
    It’s pretty much my daily wearer now and has been for quite a while, love it.

Not longines but I have two watches with the 7750 movement. Both are noisy and you can sort of feel the rotor moving. I think it's normal.

Craftsman
    I have the same watch and it makes quite a racket. Fairly normal for this one I believe.

Mine doesn’t get worn anymore as I just can’t get a decent fit with the bracelet as there is no micro adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    I have the same watch and it makes quite a racket. Fairly normal for this one I believe.

Mine doesn’t get worn anymore as I just can’t get a decent fit with the bracelet as there is no micro adjustment.

Do you find that the rotor spins/wobbles relatively easily with this one? In a quiet room I find I can hear the rotor moving or spinning quite frequently whereas my HydroConquest automatic chronograph 'wobbles' with a more drastic/sudden wrist movement. My HydroConquest has the L688 movement which is based on the 7750 and my GMT has the L704 movement which is also has the same base caliber. However I believe the Valgranges movement in the GMT is wider than the 7750 used in the L688. I know the movements are modified quite differently so I don't expect them to exhibit the same behaviour but I do find that this GMT wobbles/spins with a relative amount of ease/frequency.

Feeling a lot more reassured that this is normal based on the replies though!
    Last edited by sav_uk; 7th March 2020 at 18:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sav_uk View Post
    Do you find that the rotor spins/wobbles relatively easily with this one? In a quiet room I find I can hear the rotor moving or spinning quite frequently whereas my HydroConquest automatic chronograph 'wobbles' with a more drastic/sudden wrist movement. My HydroConquest has the L688 movement which is based on the 7750 and my GMT has the L704 movement which is also has the same base caliber. However I believe the Valgranges movement in the GMT is wider than the 7750 used in the L688. I know the movements are modified quite differently so I don't expect them to exhibit the same behaviour but I do find that this GMT wobbles/spins with a relative amount of ease/frequency.

Feeling a lot more reassured that this is normal based on the replies though!
    Absolutely, takes very little provocation to start moving.

What you are noticing sounds exactly the same as mine so don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    Absolutely, takes very little provocation to start moving.

What you are noticing sounds exactly the same as mine so don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the reassurance - makes me feel a lot better that this is normal!

Even just sitting here typing on my laptop I can hear the rotor wobble a bit as I move my wrist to type - gonna take some getting used to but I guess it's due to the uni-directional winding and large movement/rotor. Accuracy so far is within spec so that's all fine - I guess this movement is just an 'easy spinner' right?

Ah well, that deep blue dial more than makes up for a noisy movement!

Longines Conquest GMT Automatic 41mm - rotor noise?

Had a few 7750 movements (in Fortis I think, maybe something else too) - really noticeable spin in non-winding direction, the wobble and not exactly “noise” but very distinctive to the wearer, or an ear to the back of the case.

All the same. No worries.

I found the 7750 very accurate and reliable movement btw.