closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ionity shafting people?

Ionity shafting people?

So they've raised the price by almost a factor of 6 so. Anyone who has bought an Audi E-tron is now paying more per mile than they would in a diesel equivalent. I know people have other options but isn't this insane? I mean most people will look very much more at Tesla now surely and the better alternatives such as the i-Pace and e-Kona.

I'm at a loss to understand why they think this is a good idea from a business perspective.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What's special about the E-tron? From what I can see there are 3 charging stations in the UK so doubt most owners are relying on them.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 23rd February 2020 at 12:10.

About the e-tron

Ionity is owned by a consortium of the big German manufacturers and was aimed at getting people to buy into their products like the e-tron and the new Merc. They originally did it for two reasons;

1) Their electric cars were late to market and based on existing versions so rather compromised and shorter range (see Carwow vid). So cars like the I-Pace were more efficient and cars like the Kona were just cheaper.
    2) They were going to counter the advantage of the tesla supercharger network as the chief issue with electric cars tends to be the shocking state of the charging network for cars other than Tesla.

But now they have changed charging model and they cost hugely more than alternatives...it seems an odd business choice I think.

Appalling https://youtu.be/YKWEn1yFIws

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Appalling https://youtu.be/YKWEn1yFIws

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    A better exposition than mine to be sure.

Always bound to happen. The problem with a lot of the green stuff is that corporate greed will always get involved and it becomes a market to fleece consumers again. Look at solar panels for housing and the schemes that companies brought out to install solar panels for ‘free’ but put charges against properties.

The popularity for “saving the environment” will be an opportunity for private companies to earn more for shareholders and governments to open more or change revenue streams for tax.

Master
    Are Costa or Starbucks shafting people for charging £3 or £4 for a coffee when you could make the same at home for a few pence?

Ionity’s rapid chargers are some of the fastest out there, and relatively few electric cars available now can take advantage of them.

The pricing differentiates them and will likely discourage people like me with an e-Golf from using them. I expect that’s partly intentional, and there are plenty of other charging networks for me to choose from that are better matched to the maximum charge rate of my car.

There’s another thing going on here though, and that is that the manufacturers will be selling charging packages for use on Ionity and other networks, and that will reduce the cost dramatically for most users. A bit like pay as you go versus a contract mobile phone I guess.

The other thing is, buying an electric car without home or workplace charging is not very sensible in my opinion, the rapid networks are for making longer journeys possible outside of the battery range of your particular vehicle, so for infrequent use the cost seems ok to me, albeit one of the highest out there.

Time will tell if they’ve got it right, in Norway/Sweden the Ionity network has always been pricey, but the upside is that means they are usually free for when you need to use them.

There are many reasons to buy an electric vehicle, same as no doubt there are many reasons not to, but writing them off just because a journey carried out solely on Ionity rapid charging prices costs the same as in a diesel misses the point a bit I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Always bound to happen. The problem with a lot of the green stuff is that corporate greed will always get involved and it becomes a market to fleece consumers again. Look at solar panels for housing and the schemes that companies brought out to install solar panels for ‘free’ but put charges against properties.

The popularity for “saving the environment” will be an opportunity for private companies to earn more for shareholders and governments to open more or change revenue streams for tax.
    ....and you can guarantee that the ban of the sale of wet wood and coal will do nothing more than mean that sellers of seasoned logs and clean solid fuel put their prices up......for nothing different.....

I agree with the points above.
    But given that their cars are substandard compared to the competition and the chargers were meant to give them an edge, it seems bad business. I think (hope!) that's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    ....and you can guarantee that the ban of the sale of wet wood and coal will do nothing more than mean that sellers of seasoned logs and clean solid fuel put their prices up......for nothing different.....
    A ban on wet logs and coal but no resource to police it in any shape or form or any guidelines for such an act of treason.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Best to have a home charger and avoid long journeys until there is a better way!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk