closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP "Mad" Mike Hughes

RIP "Mad" Mike Hughes

Man trying to prove earth is flat dies in homemade rocket:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
    Plucky daredevil or Darwin award contender? A bit of both in my opinion.

Master
    Conspiracy theorists will see this as proof that "they" killed him to stop the truth coming out.
    Never heard of the guy before this post but r.i.p anyway.

Steam powered rocket? Pardon me?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Why didn't it stick a video camera on a helium balloon ??

Definitely, a contender for the Darwin award, trying to ascend in a steam powered rocket? Perhaps a big catapult might have worked better??

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Why didn't it stick a video camera on a helium balloon ??

Definitely, a contender for the Darwin award, trying to ascend in a steam powered rocket? Perhaps a big catapult might have worked better??
    Buy a seat in a conventional aeroplane?

Or perhaps travel as far as is possible in one direction and take some pictures of where the world ends?

Makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    At least he discovered the Earth was "hard" and a little dented if not flat.

Master
    tbf

While the reports all call him a flat earther, I recall he was rather late to that party and was primary interested in getting his steam powered rocket off the ground.

I've read that he got into some financial difficulties and needed some help funding the steam rocket projects and who better that flat earthers to turn to, what’s better that their own “space program” to disprove the earth is spherical claims...

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Or perhaps travel as far as is possible in one direction and take some pictures of where the world ends?

Makes no sense.

Debatable whether possible in a plane https://foxnomad.com/2019/04/18/can-...-from-a-plane/

Grand Master
    How can anyone believe the earth is flat.Do they just bury their head in sand and totally ignore everything that shows it to be not so!.

But the Moon is made of cheese,that has been proven when they supposedly went there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Steam powered rocket? Pardon me?
    I haven't looked into it in this particular case but could be powered by a hydrogen peroxide reaction. Creates a lot of gas very quickly I understand, so potentially good for a rocket.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 23rd February 2020 at 12:03.

Grand Master
    Next they'll be steam trains.

It could happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ah no, air travel is all faked don'tcha know.

Really, this is what some people believe. There are (or were) a couple of Youtube channels dedicated to explaining why aircraft fly much slower then they are supposed to, or are in fact much smaller than they are supposed to be, why the illusion is maintained even when you are on an aircraft, and why the world is much smaller than it is claimed to be. This belief structure also links with (but is not exactly the same as) those who believe that space travel is impossible, that there is a solid firmament 'capping' the sky, and flat Earth beliefs.

I wish I could find all the Youtube vids on this subject. Annoyingly I can't now find them. I think YT might have had a purge of this sort of stuff a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Debatable whether possible in a plane https://foxnomad.com/2019/04/18/can-...-from-a-plane/
    Interesting link - thanks

I recall a James May documentary where he went up in a 2 seater spy plane thing that went so high that it qualifies as spaceflight (or nearly did - cant quite remember) and that the curvature could be seen.

Not that you can book a ticket on such a flight.....

There is a live feed from the ISS that can be viewed by anyone at anytime on the internet of course. I would guess that the fact earth folk would say that this is fabricated in some way.

Could try this on a plane https://www.indy100.com/article/flat...vature-7746121

Using a spirit level he proved that the pilot didn't dip the plane to allow for curvature.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I haven't looked into it in this particular case but could be powered by a hydrogen peroxide reaction. Creates a lot of gas very quickly I understand, so potentially good for a rocket.
    So do baked beans and brussels :)

Darwin Award all the way - has to be the top contender for this year's list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
    So clever my foot fell off.

RIP Mike, I'm glad there are still people willing to do mad things.

Funny that his last act should be making a small section of the earth flat.

The world will be a less colourful place without him.
    Mad as a box of frogs....but an amazing character.
    We need more mad mike...and less saftey nazis
    Salute.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    tbf

While the reports all call him a flat earther, I recall he was rather late to that party and was primary interested in getting his steam powered rocket off the ground.
    I was just reading about him.

“I expect to see a flat disk up there,” he said of his ultimate goal to get to space, months after his 2018 launch. “I don’t have an agenda. If it’s a round Earth or a ball, I’m going to come down and say, ‘Hey, guys, I’m bad. It’s a ball, okay?’”
    Hughes achieved some fame in 2002 when he soared in a 103-foot jump in a Lincoln Town Car stretch limo, earning a Guinness world record. Years later, he looked to re-create a failed jump by legendary daredevil Evel Knievel, who in 1974 tried to vault Idaho’s Snake River Canyon in a similarly designed steam-powered rocket.

Master
    Just some guy who'd take funding however he could get it imo. Sad, but nothing to do with flat earth.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Just some guy who'd take funding however he could get it imo. Sad, but nothing to do with flat earth.
    He wanted to prove the earth was flat by taking a photograph from his rocket.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    From what I read, he was mostly concerned about funding for his rocket and by using the flat earth “mission”, he found a revenue stream, so he became a flat-earther for pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    From what I read, he was mostly concerned about funding for his rocket and by using the flat earth “mission”, he found a revenue stream, so he became a flat-earther for pay.
    Look where that got him!

Sad that he lost his life but there was always an air of inevitability methinks.

I think there comes a time when people need to accept that some actions fall in the 'stupid' category.
    It is absolutely fine to try and build a rocket.
    It is brave but absolutely fine to try and build a rocket that can carry a payload of ca 100kg.
    It is completely stupid to believe that you can be that payload on your first attempt. NASA didn't do it. Roscosmos didn't do it. Even Top Gear decided against it (I mention them because they are usually good at being that kind of stupid). It's a stupid death, that served no purpose apart from delivering a last adrenalin rush to MH. His family and his friends are left with the grief; they can always try to justify it as 'living his passion' or 'living to the full'. I can accept that when the victim is one of those BASE jumpers, who toe the limit every time, and sometimes the roll of the dice don't go their way. In this case it's neither.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think there comes a time when people need to accept that some actions fall in the 'stupid' category.
    It is absolutely fine to try and build a rocket.
    It is brave but absolutely fine to try and build a rocket that can carry a payload of ca 100kg.
    It is completely stupid to believe that you can be that payload on your first attempt. NASA didn't do it. Roscosmos didn't do it. Even Top Gear decided against it (I mention them because they are usually good at being that kind of stupid). It's a stupid death, that served no purpose apart from delivering a last adrenalin rush to MH. His family and his friends are left with the grief; they can always try to justify it as 'living his passion' or 'living to the full'. I can accept that when the victim is one of those BASE jumpers, who toe the limit every time, and sometimes the roll of the dice don't go their way. In this case it's neither.
    Stupid, maybe. But what of it? His life, his choices, his death. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Stupid, maybe. But what of it? His life, his choices, his death. So be it.
    Brilliant. Have you considered posting the same in the CF thread?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

There's no need to go into space to check the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

There are videos on YouTube of people sending up cameras by balloon. It goes up, and lands again with amazing footage the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    There's no need to go into space to check the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

There are videos on YouTube of people sending up cameras by balloon. It goes up, and lands again with amazing footage the whole way.
    Fake news?
    Not my opinion.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

No need to rely on others.

The equipment is cheap to buy and easy to implement.

The thing flat earthers fear is the sphere itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    He was an engineer in need of a source of funding. Nothing more.

My hat off, fair play to him, hell of a dream. But to suggest it was to prove flat earth. Bollocka

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    He was an engineer in need of a source of funding. Nothing more.

My hat off, fair play to him, hell of a dream. But to suggest it was to prove flat earth. Bollocka
    But the basis of the funding was to provide 'evidence' in a photo.

Master
    In March last year, Hughes managed an altitude of 1,870ft (570m) before deploying his parachutes and landing with a bump.
    Speaking afterwards, Hughes said: "Am I glad I did it? Yeah, I guess. I'll feel it in the morning. I won't be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight."
    His cats must be missing him.

Yes, I’m a cat person.

Dave