closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Field watch 36-40mm

Field watch 36-40mm

I am in the market for a field/tool style watch ideally around the 36-39mm size. Looking to spend up to £1500.

So far two in the running are the Sinn 556 blue dial or the Anordain model 2 in the dark green enamel dial.

What would you pick between these? Any other watches I should consider?

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with anything from Sinn, but a Smiths Everest/PRS-29 would be my default choice (not to mention well under budget). There's also the other default Hamilton Khaki of course as well as CWC. If you're determined to spend your max budget, Oris or Longines might have something that appeals. I'm assuming something without a rotating bezel here.
    Last edited by Geralt; 23rd February 2020 at 10:01.

That is the first version of the anOrdain 2 that I’ve liked. Something different, and all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Can't go wrong with anything from Sinn, but a Smiths Everest/PRS-29 would be my default choice (not to mention well under budget). There's also the other default Hamilton Khaki of course as well as CWC. If you're determined to spend your max budget, Oris or Longines might have something that appeals. I'm assuming something without a rotating bezel here.
    Yes the PRS-29 was a consideration. However I don’t think it’s as versatile as the other two.

Another option is the new sector dial Longines, but that’s a lot more expensive than the Sinn and Anordain.

Trouble with the longines is I would always suspect it’s trying to ape the JLC, which is trying to ape the PP. (And, you know, it not really being a field watch!)

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    Yes the PRS-29 was a consideration. However I don’t think it’s as versatile as the other two...
    TBH the hands on the Sinn would bug me - way too short. The other one is a bit marmite. And I wouldn't regard the Longines as a field/tool watch either. There aren't many field/tool watches that can do double duty with 'versatile', though many regard the Hamilton as a contender (including me). A couple that spring immediately to mind are the Air Ministry PRS-29AM or the Merci LMM-01. Both are hand crankers with the ETA 2801 and again well under budget.

Master
    Blog Entries

I really like this field watch (pic from the net)

I'd vote for the anordain but I'm a little biased...

The only question i'd ask is do you want it on a bracelet as that is where the anordain fails in my opinion. I ordered the staib mesh with it but just looks so much better on leather.

Any Hamilton

Genuine question (before I give my recommendation), how do we define a 'field watch'?

Craftsman
    I second a few of the other comments, the Smith's PRS-29a which I have, also the Hamilton Khaki mechanical is probably one of the best bang for buck. One that most people probably haven't heard about is the Serica WWW which you can check out at www.serica-watches.com/en. I have all 3 of these watches and everyone is a contender and well under your budget. One more to consider is the re-issue of the Timor Heritage Field Watch that is now on Kickstarter. You can check all about that watch at www.timorwatch.com. The great thing about the Timor is that they are offering a hand wound Sellita SW216 of the automatic version SW260 in the same size case. I backed this watch on Kickstarter and I would consider it a real contender.
    Last edited by kneadking; 23rd February 2020 at 20:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sinn 556a

Craftsman
    Hello Mark,

You discount the Prs 29 as it is not versitile. I am not sure what your criteria is here for versitility but why not go for one of the LMM watches by Merci. The president of France wears one so i suspect it is versitile enough?

Sorry, no picture i am not having any luck attaching one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am after something that will wear well on a leather strap, something i could wear to work and at the weekend. I think the Anordain is front runner at the moment.

I am not a fan of the bead blasted look or anything that is too toolish looking. The Hamilton’s don’t really sing to me.

I love the look of the LMM watches but they don’t have a sapphire crystal and the Serica watches don’t either. Also the Serica’s have a screw down crown with a manual wind movement, what’s that all about?

Smiths for me, perfect field watch, especially on price versus many others.

But how about Weiss?

https://weisswatchcompany.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    My arguament would be do you need to spend £1500?
    £300-£400 on a perfectly reasonable Hamilton or less for a quartz genuine field CWC G10.
    £1000 left over for a vintage and true military issue watch from Longine , Cyma , Vertex , Timor maybe even Omega

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Genuine question (before I give my recommendation), how do we define a 'field watch'?
    It's an Americanism that's somehow caught on. Typical would be the Hamilton Khaki. Don't think I've ever seen anything designed by the MOD or based thereon described as such (ie British).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    My arguament would be do you need to spend £1500?
    £300-£400 on a perfectly reasonable Hamilton or less for a quartz genuine field CWC G10.
    £1000 left over for a vintage and true military issue watch from Longine , Cyma , Vertex , Timor maybe even Omega
    Indeed. CWC G10 would be (and was) my choice. Quartz precision at much less than the stated budget.

Craftsman
    Tudor Heritage Ranger - serves me well - nice simple uncomplicated dial. Mine came with nato and bracelet.

One of the new Titonis? Assuming they're field watches - I never quite understood the term...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    Tudor Heritage Ranger - serves me well - nice simple uncomplicated dial. Mine came with nato and bracelet.
    It's a lovely watch but it is 41mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am after something that will wear well on a leather strap, something i could wear to work and at the weekend. I think the Anordain is front runner at the moment.

I am not a fan of the bead blasted look or anything that is too toolish looking. The Hamilton’s don’t really sing to me.
    I was going to suggest one of Damasko's DA range however they may not appeal due to the toolish look and bead blasted case finish, though there are black cased versions. Take a look anyway, they're similar to Sinn's 556, scroll down for the DS range as well.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...nd-models/?p=1

Archimede's Outdoor range is another that may be worth looking at.

https://www.archimede-watches.com/outdoor/

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It's a lovely watch but it is 41mm.
    You beat me to it. It would go to top of the list if they brought it out in a smaller 38-39mm size. I only have a 16mm wrist so big watches look silly on me.

I apologise for using the term field watch on the title, think that is a bit misleading. I am really meant some that falls between a dress and tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Thanks Rodia

Not seen the Sandhurst from CW, I really like that. Shame the brand seem to change their logo every other week!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I was going to suggest one of Damasko's DA range however they may not appeal due to the toolish look and bead blasted case finish, though there are black cased versions. Take a look anyway, they're similar to Sinn's 556, scroll down for the DS range as well.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...nd-models/?p=1

Archimede's Outdoor range is another that may be worth looking at.

https://www.archimede-watches.com/outdoor/
    I have not seen the Outdoor range before, I rather like the white dial one. Too many bloody choices now to pick from!

Master
    [QUOTE=mark.wilo13;5334327] I only have a 16mm wrist so big watches look silly on me.

16mm wrist? Wow, that truly is reed-like.

The AnorDain and the Longines are nice watches, but surely the very definition of a field watch requires lume, doesn't it?
    Every archetypal field watch (like the WWWs and the American alternatives) is lumed.
    So I guess this is more of a question than anything else, but it would seem inconceivable to me that a watch be described as a field watch without being able to read it at all times in the field?
    Or am I wrong here?
    D

Craftsman
    What about a Khaki Field Mechanical? Mine is for sale, and you can keep around 1200 quid in your pocket ;-)

Shame the brand seem to change their logo every other week!
    And never to a good one, I know.

Craftsman
    Sinn 556 is epic, but what about a damasko ???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Isn’t Damasko more of a pilot watch design?

Most watches can be dressed up and down by changing the strap, so a brushed metal case can work in formal settings too.

Really depends on your design impression of “Field”. To me the Titoni and blue Sinns aren’t it.

A few on here have “Field”/military pieces as there core watches, and whether vintage or modern versions, seem to be able to wear them quite happily anywhere.

Timex, and save yourself a bucketload of cash?

The Everest on NATO for informal and bracelet for dressing up seems the obvious choice if the more military-styles aren’t your thing.

Plenty of options to try!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

People seem not to get on long term with those Hamiltons, just my perception based on the number and frequency they seem to come up for sale, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    People seem not to get on long term with those Hamiltons, just my perception based on the number and frequency they seem to come up for sale, I could be wrong.
    Yeah I’ve noticed that. My mate had the khaki mechanical and sold it. He said he lugs we’re far too long for the case, meaning there was a big gap between case and strap which he couldn’t get on with. The other issue I have with the Khaki Field or Khaki King is they are really reflective outdoors.

I’ve recently bought one of the new Seiko Alpinist models (got the white/silver one) which fits the brief - tool watch in that it is rock solid with 200m WR, date, sapphire with AR, 70hr power reserve, very good lume and a built in compass (not that I’d ever have cause to use it!), but can easily be dressed up. The new black or white versions are much more versatile than the old green/gold Sarb017 model IMO.

If you were determined to spend the entire budget I’d just go for the Sinn 556A. Very similar in dial layout to the Tudor Ranger but a more compact size, a very versatile and well made watch.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Yeah I’ve noticed that. My mate had the khaki mechanical and sold it. He said he lugs we’re far too long for the case, meaning there was a big gap between case and strap which he couldn’t get on with. The other issue I have with the Khaki Field or Khaki King is they are really reflective outdoors.

I’ve recently bought one of the new Seiko Alpinist models (got the white/silver one) which fits the brief - tool watch in that it is rock solid with 200m WR, date, sapphire with AR, 70hr power reserve, very good lume and a built in compass (not that I’d ever have cause to use it!), but can easily be dressed up. The new black or white versions are much more versatile than the old green/gold Sarb017 model IMO.

If you were determined to spend the entire budget I’d just go for the Sinn 556A. Very similar in dial layout to the Tudor Ranger but a more compact size, a very versatile and well made watch.
    I think you made a good choice with the Alpinist, good wr and impressive power reserve. It is only my opinion but a watch with less than 100 m WR just doesn't really qualify/fit the go anywhere, do anything idea of a 'field watch', for want of a better name for it.