closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timor WWW case back removal

Timor WWW case back removal

My Timor WWW is gaining 10 mins per day and demagnetising has made no difference … so need to remove the case back and inspect the escapement … but do not have a suitable case back tool to fit the Timor case back's circumference notches

However, I have a set of concentric rubber cones used for unscrewing camera lens bezels …

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Japan-Vacuu.../dp/B0013HFYKK

… 'vacuum pad' is a misnomer because there is no vacuum … the cones are hollow. Camera lens bezels are not tightened as much as watch case backs - so lens bezels usually unscrew with light pressure applied to the rubber cones

… thus decided to try one of the rubber cones with added Blu Tack to enable better grip and pressure on the watch case back …

[

… insufficient leverage unless another wider diameter cone is reversed onto the Blu Tac'd cone

… then the case back loosened easily … but have not removed it completely as I'm wearing woollen clothing … will fully remove case back and examine the movement later.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That's a clever solution ! Some of those military case backs were like bayonet fittings, ie you only need to turn them about 90 degrees and they come off.
    I see you got the lens tool from Amazon. I have a couple of old lenses that could do with cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    That's a clever solution ! Some of those military case backs were like bayonet fittings, ie you only need to turn them about 90 degrees and they come off.
    I see you got the lens tool from Amazon. I have a couple of old lenses that could do with cleaning.

The Japan Hobby Tool concentric rubber cones might be available cheaper on eBay. When cleaning lens elements it's advisable to use a safe proprietary lens cleaner e.g. Eclipse https://www.wexphotovideo.com/eclips...IaAtH1EALw_wcB … a little goes a long way. If you want to completely dismantle a particular lens (not recommended for zoom lenses) there are often YouTube videos demonstrating how to proceed … technicians invariably use the rubber cones … and they also show necessary precautions to avoid scratching the lens glass

dunk

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Very useful. Thank you.

Banned
    PS: This is one of my many case openers. It undoes the most difficult little devil's !

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    PS: This is one of my many case openers. It undoes the most difficult little devil's !

Super .. I could not justify one of those.

dunk

I took the back off my Timor to photograph the movement when I sold it. I just used a cheapo, ten quid, Ebay, three-prong Jaxa type caseback tool. It was a bit of a faff but worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I took the back off my Timor to photograph the movement when I sold it. I just used a cheapo, ten quid, Ebay, three-prong Jaxa type caseback tool. It was a bit of a faff but worked fine.
    I have one but could not adjust it to 'safely' apply sufficient leverage /pressure to loosen the case back … there was always too much 'play' regardless of the tips fitted … thus risked slippage and scratching … But the rubber cones proved to be 'safe' and loosened the case back without damage.

dunk