closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gypsy King.... fightnight

Great performance and really showed Wilder’s weaknesses.
    It's just a matter of time...

Fury has history of turning in big, big performances. Klitshcko in his own back yard? The first Wilder fight when robbed
    in points?
    Punishment tonight.... dished out a severe beating.... owned Wilder in that ring.
    Well done sir, I doth my cap. Now enjoy the after party

Craftsman
    Class from fury made him look amateur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m surprised Hearn called out Fury, obviously a massive fight with huge money involved but a fight he cannot win, much as I’ve liked/followed AJ’s career an ‘on it’ Fury will destroy him.

Very one sided skilled boxer v basher ....well done Tyson..

And of you haven’t already watch the Tyson and family series on ITV really good watch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Very one sided skilled boxer v basher ....well done Tyson..

And of you haven’t already watch the Tyson and family series on ITV really good watch
    watched it yesterday, great family man a good watch . Agreed a boxer beats a fighter 99/100

Grand Master
    The difference you see is a boxer who can change his tactics with ease, and a boxer who can't, Fury used his weight and skill to keep Wilder on his back foot, making it hard to get any power into punches, in this type of form, and showing the skill he showed tonight, if i was AJ i would avoid, i like AJ, but he struggles a bit like Wilder to switch up when plan A isn't working, meaning he needs a knockout and an early one at that against a fighter who is probably the cleverest out there.

Thrilled with the result - now let’s see him put the so called “great” AJ (who I’ve never rated) - in his box.

AJ can’t win - as said prev it’ll just be money

Tyson Fury - you really are the Gypsy King.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Thrilled with the result - now let’s see him put the so called “great” AJ (who I’ve never rated) - in his box.

AJ can’t win - as said prev it’ll just be money

Tyson Fury - you really are the Gypsy King.
    Great result for Tyson. I’m already thinking AJ will have to adopt a complete new boxing strategy to take down Tyson.

If he tries to go toe to toe like he did with Ruiz he’s toast.

Tyson is probably the most difficult fighter to get inside, he’s arm are outrageously looong, plus he’s as hard as a coffin nail.

I didn’t think he’d win ,but if he did I thought it would of been on points,totally dominant.
    I never really liked him in his early years,but after watching him come back after his 3 year absence and listening to him talk about his troubles,he’s definitely grown on me .
    And in this sort of form AJ will proper struggle,but it may not happen has there going to be a third fight .

Journeyman
    Fantastic result for Tyson. I watched the documentary about him and thought he came across extremely well although he is clearly still battling his demons, which makes his achievements even more remarkable.

Firstly well done Fury. Justice after the last fight.

Alas, not a great fight. A good boxer (not great) against a slugger who couldn't box. Having watched some great heavy weights over the years from Ali, through to Tyson and beyond, I was disappointed. Where was the grace, the agility, the skill/finesse, the speed and the raw power - very disappointing. At point point it reminded me of two old gezzers having a bit of a ruck in the local snooker hall.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Alas, not a great fight. A good boxer (not great) against a slugger who couldn't box. Having watched some great heavy weights over the years from Ali, through to Tyson and beyond, I was disappointed. Where was the grace, the agility, the skill/finesse, the speed and the raw power - very disappointing. At point point it reminded me of two old gezzers having a bit of a ruck in the local snooker hall.
    What fight did you watch??

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Superb performance. When he beats AJ he has a legit claim to being up there with Lennox, the best UK HW's.

Raw power ? A guy with the best KO record of all time VS a guy who bursts your ear drum and has a left jab that would have put Ali on his ass.

It’s a completely different scenario though. You aren’t watching lighter more agile boxers, they are huge men (well Fury is), in both height and weight.

'not great' wow mate thats a statement ...He did a fabulous job and trust me although Wilder is lacking in skills and finesse he has plenty of raw power as does TF which I think he proved last night ..

Master
    Yesterday evening a group of us were on a bus and one of our fellow passengers was a member of the travelling community and the subject of the fight came up.

Despite being very drunk and large amounts of white powder going up his hooter for the part of the journey we shared, he called the fight exactly as it turned out. Stoppage mid fight after a dominant performance by his distant cousin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Raw power ? A guy with the best KO record of all time VS a guy who bursts your ear drum and has a left jab that would have put Ali on his ass.
    I dont think either of these two would have layed a glove on Ali in his prime. Great performance from Fury though.

Master
    The biggest bonus is what he does for the heavyweight division. I grew up in an era where there were amazing fighters to watch and everyone wanted to watch them. Recent years it’s been all about the Mayweather’s, Pac-Man’s etc. Don’t get me wrong, nothing bad about them.

Tyson makes it all interesting again - he’s a great entertainer as well as a boxer. Everyone will waiting to see who he fights next.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    'not great' wow mate thats a statement ...He did a fabulous job and trust me although Wilder is lacking in skills and finesse he has plenty of raw power as does TF which I think he proved last night ..
    Its my opinion, but some previous World Heavy Weights would have sliced and diced Fury before putting him to bed.

Ali
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Forman
    Tyson
    Lewis
    Klischko

Perhaps when Fury unifies the few belts and defends them a couple of times, then I might consider him great.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Its my opinion, but some previous World Heavy Weights would have sliced and diced Fury before putting him to bed.

Klischko
    Erm...

Master
    Oops...

Blog Entries
    Backed Fury to win by KO/TKO/DQ/Technical Decision, and another on the number of knockdowns so good result for me! Next one will be interesting odds.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Different opinion myself but I think I might stay outta your local snooker hall,sounds a bit out of my wimpy southerner league!

Be good to see fury v Joshua in August Wembley stadium 100k plus fans inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Erm...
    Fury managed to beat Klitschko when Klitschko was 39 - on points!

If Fury manages to win 10 defences of his title, then he will be a great.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Fury managed to beat Klitschko when Klitschko was 39 - on points!

If Fury manages to win 10 defences of his title, then he will be a great.
    Klitschko hadn't been beat for 11 years, he'd beaten boxers who are still around today who are challenging for the title, Povetkin for one.
    Fury fought him in Germany where it is notoriously hard to get a decision and made it look easy.
    Joshua fought Klitschko at Wembley 2 years later and was in all sorts of trouble, he even made a film about it as he knew it would be his biggest fight to date
    Fury isn't going to be around for 10 defences so I guess he will have to retire without the respect of the great Andyg, hopefully this won't be too devastating for him and he can move on with his life
    Have you read any of the boxing pundits thoughts on the fight?
    You must be one of the few people on the planet that can't see what a great performance that was

It was a great performance and I'm amazed anyone can say any other. I'm not saying he's a 'great' in the history of boxing because he clearly isn't....yet.

I've followed Fury since his first televised fight and I've never seen him use the tactics he used against Wilder. For a man of his experience, fighting a certain way (which I loved), to change tactics for a fight of this magnitude takes dedication, confidence and trust in his trainer. I must admit I thought it might have been a mistake to change trainers but hey, what do I know?

I listened to Lennox Lewis last week who called it perfectly, saying Tyson would come in heavy and use that weight to move Wilder around the ring, smothering and dominating him.

Now onto Wilder. Surely he must be up there with the weakest heavyweight champions of all time. I know he has an incredible record but look at the opponents. He only had four tough fights; Ortiz twice and was losing both times until the bomb came in and Fury twice where he was out-pointed and then obliterated. It's criminal that his title defence record is comparable with Ali's.

He's literally never been in trouble in the ring and didn't have a clue how to handle it. I've said for years, as have many others, that he's a one-trick-pony and he proved that on Saturday.

I think Fury needs to beat AJ, Usyk and Pulev to be considered a solid champion. Usyk will be the big test. He doesn't need to fight Wilder again. You never know, the rose-tinted glasses of history might remember Fury as one of the greats the way it does with Mike Tyson; a ferocious animal who knocked over mugs to create a record but never beat any of the best in their prime.

Master
    Kudos to Tyson Fury. A perfectly executed strategy. He's definitely making the most of his abilities and that's all anyone can do.

As far as being a great, this weight division hasn't seen glory days for several decades. You really need 3+ very talented fighters for anyone to prove something in the grand scheme of things. The 70s had Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Norton. The 80s had a breathtaking range of middleweights who'd all feature in the all-time top 10 list.

In the 90s, with Holyfield and Tyson, there was a wee resurgence in the division but, to be fair, Tyson was well past his best.

I think one of the problems is the size of the fighters in the heavyweight division. They're too big and lumbering. But where are the 15-16 stone guys to take advantage of the slowness?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    But where are the 15-16 stone guys to take advantage of the slowness?
    Usyk is 15 ½ stone
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 24th February 2020 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    But where are the 15-16 stone guys to take advantage of the slowness?
    Usyc comes in at around 15.5 stone and is the biggest threat in this division. Saying that, I think Fury's speed is as good as anyone I've ever seen at his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Usyk is 15 ½ stone
    Yes, but hasn’t really had a chance to move completely into the heavy weight class yet, so I’d expect his natural fighting weight to increase over the next few years - if he proves to be effective as a heavy weight.

He is about the right height at 6’ 3” to take on both taller and shorter boxers though without too much change in approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, but hasn’t really had a chance to move completely into the heavy weight class yet, so I’d expect his natural fighting weight to increase over the next few years - if he proves to be effective as a heavy weight.

He is about the right height at 6’ 3” to take on both taller and shorter boxers though without too much change in approach.
    True, but I don't think he'll add too much mass. He certainly won't do a Michael Moorer.

Fury has already said that Usyk is too small and he'd knock him out. If you watch Usyk's fights on YouTube you might not agree with that. I appreciate he's never really fought anyone but he has a look and a style about him that reminds me of GGG.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

The last cruiser to make the jump was Haye - Usyk is better than Haye, but we have seen the limitations of size with these big heavyweights.

Craftsman
    I thought Fury's performance was fantastic. I was fully extpecting his horrible to watch but effective jab and hold approach he used to defeat klitscho. To see him take it to Wilder was great.

With regards Usyk, I'm going to reserve judegement. No questioning his ability, but he does get caught. Can he take a punch from a decent heavyweight. He used to spar Klitscho so I suspect he can but sparring is sparring. Joe Joyce gave him a decent fight in the amateur WSB (closer to professional boxing). Bellew was able to hit him and so was Chazz Witherspoon (Sp?) in his only heavyweight fight who was out of shape. Not sure how he'd fair after taking similar hits from some of the current top 10 heavyweights.

Interesting times regardless.

AJ vs Fury is the fight I want to see next. Sadly I suspect it will end up being in Saudi Arabia due to all the money they can put up for it which will be a crying shame for a fight of this magnitude with two british heavyweights.

I think that's the fight we all want. I think if it happens it'll be at Wembley Stadium as the people will demand that. You can't take it away from British fight fans.

Surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    AJ vs Fury is the fight I want to see next. Sadly I suspect it will end up being in Saudi Arabia due to all the money they can put up for it which will be a crying shame for a fight of this magnitude with two British heavyweights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think that's the fight we all want. I think if it happens it'll be at Wembley Stadium as the people will demand that. You can't take it away from British fight fans.

Surely!
    Never dismiss rat faced Eddie Hearn's ability to do whatever earns himself the most money

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Surely!
    The problem with Wembley Stadium is the British weather. Now the Principality Stadium, that would work.

I thought Fury did an amazing job. As to all these fighter of the past, maybe they could have taken TF in their pomp but its all hypothetical. He's the best British heavy weight fighter of all time, and probably the best Heavy weight world champion this century. Amazing achievement from a guy who has conquered many demons. Incredible

Very true. I think the Principality would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The problem with Wembley Stadium is the British weather. Now the Principality Stadium, that would work.
    - - - Updated - - -

Yeah, you could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Never dismiss rat faced Eddie Hearn's ability to do whatever earns himself the most money

Fury did a fantastic job not going to take that away from him. Let's not get carried away as Wilder was a broken man from the first fight. Technically Wider is terrible, take away that right hand and what have you got, average at best.
    AJ will be a different cookie altogether. Is Fury one of the greats, no not yet. but possibly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    Fury did a fantastic job not going to take that away from him. Let's not get carried away as Wilder was a broken man from the first fight. Technically Wider is terrible, take away that right hand and what have you got, average at best.
    AJ will be a different cookie altogether. Is Fury one of the greats, no not yet. but possibly.
    Hang one you’ve claimed Wlad was over the hill when fury beat him.

Now you’re claiming Wilder was a broken man.

Fury’s fought away from home and beat the champ who hadn’t los in 11 years who was apparently over the hill.

Wlad then had 2 years out and went life and death with Joshua who scraped the win.

Now fury beats wilder and he was a broken man ?

Then you claim AJ will be a different cookie all together.

It’s genuinely mind boggling.

Fury is number 1 comfortably and is the best heavy weight of his era.

Master
    Best British Heavyweight? Lennox Lewis would argue differently, could bang and had a boxers brain, if plan A didn’t work he had a plan B & C-

If Fury doesn’t want to be beat he won’t, in this current division can only beat himself, AJ has a punchers chance that’s it, Whyte I think would,probably trouble him more, gonna be an interesting merry go round for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I thought Fury did an amazing job. As to all these fighter of the past, maybe they could have taken TF in their pomp but its all hypothetical. He's the best British heavy weight fighter of all time, and probably the best Heavy weight world champion this century. Amazing achievement from a guy who has conquered many demons. Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Hang one you’ve claimed Wlad was over the hill when fury beat him.

Now you’re claiming Wilder was a broken man.

Fury’s fought away from home and beat the champ who hadn’t los in 11 years who was apparently over the hill.

Wlad then had 2 years out and went life and death with Joshua who scraped the win.

Now fury beats wilder and he was a broken man ?

Then you claim AJ will be a different cookie all together.

It’s genuinely mind boggling.

Fury is number 1 comfortably and is the best heavy weight of his era.

Telling me AJ wont be a tougher fight...

Fury won .. he deserved it was a better boxer..as to the earlier talk about mike tyson ... he was exceptional.. he said most people would have lost the minute they got in the ring with him.. he won the battle in the mind .. too much mindless talk nowadays and social platforming. Mike was a savage... he was truly crazy . Fair play to Fury he conquered the demons in his head and was so much better because of it .

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't follow boxing as much as some of you guys, though did watch the highlights of this one, he's a big old lump who can clearly box a bit, he used his mass in the clinches to good effect and seems able to take a punch but it wasn't really a 'great' match imho.

One thing that really struck me is how high a lot of these guys, Fury, especially wear their shorts these days, there's almost no lower body or stomach actually on display for the opponent to legally land a blow upon, it's a stark contrast to say the classic images of Ali in his hey day and the men he fought...am I being over critical or have others noticed this phenomenon...kinda bending the rules to your advantage especially if you're not in great physical condition particularly around the gut/abs which Fury never looks to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    Telling me AJ wont be a tougher fight...
    Tell me why AJ will be a tougher fight having already been beaten up and going life and death with Wlad.

Master
    Well, he's a better boxer and better on the inside than Wilder for a start...

Not saying he'd win mind, but I do think it would be more of a match. I don't think how two boxers did against a third boxer tells us a huge amount, every bout is different.