closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gypsy King.... fightnight

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think that's the fight we all want. I think if it happens it'll be at Wembley Stadium as the people will demand that. You can't take it away from British fight fans.

Surely!
    He's pretty much already said it, in an interview on IFL on YouTube. Saudis are prepared to pay each fighter tens of millions more to have it staged there. Agree it will be a travesty but it's a very real possibility.

Interesting to see what tactics Fury would use against AJ? Continue with taking centre of the ring and backing opponent up or go back to the arguable boring and not fan friendly 'jab and grab'. I suspect against a better box like AJ it will be the latter. Won't be as entertaining as the Wilder fight but reckon he will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Tell me why AJ will be a tougher fight having already been beaten up and going life and death with Wlad.

As AJ is technically better than Wilder

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    Wlad was the best technical boxer of the last 25 years and fury beat him.

Fury is above Joshua. What is joshuas best win ? Dillian Whyte ? Povetkin ?

Not saying AJ is above Fury. I said it would be a tougher fight for Fury .

I'd say AJ's best win was knocking Wlad out, something Fury failed to do.

Master
    AJs best win is the person who hadn’t had a fight for 2 years and you claimed was over the hill 2 years proper when fury beat him.

Fury also didn’t get put on his arse and have to cling on in the fight.

AJs best win is the person who hadn’t had a fight for 2 years and you claimed was over the hill 2 years proper when fury beat him.

Fury also didn’t get put on his arse and have to cling on in the fight.

Its HW boxing and one punch can put any boxer down. Its how you deal with it. But as you say its a walk in the park for Fury to beat AJ. Let's hope its more of a convincing win than when he fought Otto Wallin
    Last edited by Paneraiseeker; 24th February 2020 at 16:42.

He didn't just beat him, Wlad had no idea how to handle him. I must admit I thought Fury would be annihilated by Wlad and that's the fight when I thought he really could be a very good fighter and champion.

[QUOTE=estoban7;5333777]I dont think either of these two would have layed a glove on Ali in his prime. Great performance from Fury though.[/QUOTE

Will agree to disagree. Would have been KO`d by either. He would never have felt such power in his life.

Ali fought and beat George Foreman in his prime, one of the hardest punchers in boxing history and who virtually lifted Joe Frazier off the canvas with an uppercut.

[QUOTE=xellos99;5334740]
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I dont think either of these two would have layed a glove on Ali in his prime. Great performance from Fury though.[/QUOTE

Will agree to disagree. Would have been KO`d by either. He would never have felt such power in his life.

Journeyman
    Cracking result, Fury is amazing. in and out of the ring.

Master

I think AJ's best win was against Parker. At a time when Parker was getting through opponents, AJ changed his style to fight parker and jabbed it out for a points victory.

I think Fury's performances against Wlad and Wilder both were phenomenal. AJ didn't look great against Wlad and I still would say that fight could have gone eitehr way. AJ was cerainly on the ropes and could very easily have lost that fight (but he didn't!).

Who will win between AJ and Fury? Who knows...but if Fury turns up and fights to his potential, he really should win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I don't follow boxing as much as some of you guys, though did watch the highlights of this one, he's a big old lump who can clearly box a bit, he used his mass in the clinches to good effect and seems able to take a punch but it wasn't really a 'great' match imho.

One thing that really struck me is how high a lot of these guys, Fury, especially wear their shorts these days, there's almost no lower body or stomach actually on display for the opponent to legally land a blow upon, it's a stark contrast to say the classic images of Ali in his hey day and the men he fought...am I being over critical or have others noticed this phenomenon...kinda bending the rules to your advantage especially if you're not in great physical condition particularly around the gut/abs which Fury never looks to be.
    It’s difficult to compare to some of the great battles of the past. Smaller heavyweights used to have some real battles, but in recent years, as Wilder shows, and any of the bigger guys, a big hit can end the night immediately. However, for me the fight gave a chance to see that Fury had changed his style and tactics completely to suit the opponent, it was a real display of discipline and approach, carried out to great effect.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s difficult to compare to some of the great battles of the past. Smaller heavyweights used to have some real battles, but in recent years, as Wilder shows, and any of the bigger guys, a big hit can end the night immediately. However, for me the fight gave a chance to see that Fury had changed his style and tactics completely to suit the opponent, it was a real display of discipline and approach, carried out to great effect.
    Agreed.

Fair points, Wilder certainly knew he’d been in a fight, blood coming out of various orifices, not sure about Fury hamming it up at the end with that licking business...if wilder had uppercut him then Fury would’ve been in trouble, still it didn’t go that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Fair points, Wilder certainly knew he’d been in a fight, blood coming out of various orifices, not sure about Fury hamming it up at the end with that licking business...if wilder had uppercut him then Fury would’ve been in trouble, still it didn’t go that way.
    Wilder had previously said he wanted a body on his record, Fury told him he was going to taste his blood

The fight's on fight was briefly on YouTube now:

Edit: Holy crap, Wilder's been skipping leg day.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 24th February 2020 at 22:53.

And gone!

That didn't last long. :-(

Managed to watch it though, so thanks!

Blog Entries
    Wilder now blaming the loss on his legs being weakened after walking to the ring in his heavy outfit, apparently it weighed 3 stone.
    Shouldn’t have skipped leg day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Wilder now blaming the loss on his legs being weakened after walking to the ring in his heavy outfit, apparently it weighed 3 stone.
    Yes just seen that - a novel one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51623455

"Fury didn't hurt me at all, but the simple fact is that my uniform was way too heavy for me," Wilder told Yahoo.

He will apparently exercise his right for the re-match.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Yes just seen that - a novel one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51623455

"Fury didn't hurt me at all, but the simple fact is that my uniform was way too heavy for me," Wilder told Yahoo.

He will apparently exercise his right for the re-match.
    Of course, he just wants to fight Fury until he can land a fluke punch and declare himself the greatest in the world.

The guy genuinely makes me sick, even after losing he makes excuses, disrespects his opponent and all his own team and corner and their decision.

Master
    It's a shame he doesn't realise that while you won't lose respect for having lost a boxing match, you will lose respect for making excuses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    But Wilder’s the best puncher ever.

What a tart. He'd have had no chance as a firefighter, what with that heavy old firekit and that horrid BA set on your back. F****** ponce.
    F.T.F.A.

Just a hint of sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    But Wilder’s the best puncher ever.

Puh-lease Deontay!

Wilder is 6'7" and 231 pounds of "Greek god" physique wearing a 40-pound costume for 5-10 minutes.

In Vietnam I was 6'0" and a malnourished 145 pounds carrying 80-100 pounds of gear, ammunition, flak jacket, and radio...all day long! My legs held up fine. And the next day, and the next day...

Grand Master
    Every Soldier right now!

RIAC

Journeyman
    wilder is asking for a rematch

Quote Originally Posted by th6252 View Post
    wilder is asking for a rematch
    Wouldn’t you. It’s in his contract, and will be the largest pay day available to him now. People are talking about who they want to see in the ring with Fury - not that many people are bigging up Wilder this week like they were last week!

Unfortunately that's right and the contract also states any rematch will be in the US. It looks like it'll happen this year. I won't be buying it and I bet a hell of a lot of people won't be either. It's not the fight the public wants to see.

Wouldn’t you. It’s in his contract....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Unfortunately that's right and the contract also states any rematch will be in the US. It looks like it'll happen this year. I won't be buying it and I bet a hell of a lot of people won't be either. It's not the fight the public wants to see.
    👍 agreed and farcical, wonder what clauses will be drafted for the next instalment 😂

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    👍 agreed and farcical, wonder what clauses will be drafted for the next instalment 😂
    It’s far from unusual though. And as you’ll have noticed around 50% of people thought Wilder was going to win, before the fight.

There will be lots of excuses - but I would have thought a perforated ear drum would have affected balance quite a bit, and would have sounded better than a heavy costume lol

but I would have thought a perforated ear drum would have affected balance quite a bit, and would have sounded better than a heavy costume lol
    Perhaps they didn't want to lie... Oh wait

Should there be a rematch and should Wilder win, then presumably there'll have to be a decider.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Should there be a rematch and should Wilder win, then presumably there'll have to be a decider.
    Fury will for sure have a clause. If Wilder wins, there will be appetite for a fourth.

Despite what is stipulated in contracts, a lot of the time rematches hinge on how the previous fight went. AJ nearly decided not to take his rematch because he got beat bad by Ruiz. One more loss and career over.

For Wilder's team, it's all about the money. But I cannot see the public buying this fight, it was so conclusive. Maybe the promoters will step in.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ...I cannot see the public buying this fight, it was so conclusive...
    Unless they have an appetite for seeing a man beaten to death in front of them.
    If Wilder really wants to go out "on his shield", has sacked anyone who would throw a towel and pressures the ref with his 'warrior' rhetoric it's a possibility. I'm not saying it's likely but he was taking a pasting from a big, heavy strong man and I wouldn't have liked to see him take much more than he did.
    I wouldn't watch a rematch simply because on the evidence of the last one I don't believe it would be a sporting competition.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Unless they have an appetite for seeing a man beaten to death in front of them.
    If Wilder really wants to go out "on his shield", has sacked anyone who would throw a towel and pressures the ref with his 'warrior' rhetoric it's a possibility. I'm not saying it's likely but he was taking a pasting from a big, heavy strong man and I wouldn't have liked to see him take much more than he did.
    I wouldn't watch a rematch simply because on the evidence of the last one I don't believe it would be a sporting competition.
    I think there is a big desire in the States to have an American Heavyweight champion, that storyline combined with Wilder 'never out of it because of his explosive punch' may be enough. But that removes the entire fact of this is still a sport of skill and Wilder never had even a punchers chance.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think there is a big desire in the States to have an American Heavyweight champion, that storyline combined with Wilder 'never out of it because of his explosive punch' may be enough.
    You may be right. I'd discounted gullibility, hope and patriotism, all of which can have an effect on human thinking.

Well it would seem that the extra weight of his outfit BS has come back to bite him lol.

https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/bo...-vest-20200226

Master

The Gypsy King.... fightnight

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There won't be a rematch.
    Wilder is taking the option of a rematch so he can be paid a large amount of money to not go ahead with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    There won't be a rematch.
    Wilder is taking the option of a rematch so he can be paid a large amount of money to not go ahead with it.
    Haven't heard that theory. How would that work?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Haven't heard that theory. How would that work?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    The rematch clause is simply a contractual matter, it is not enforceable by any of the boxing federations / governing bodies. Therefore if Wilder requests the rematch and Fury refuses he can sue Fury and his team for breach of contract. Alternatively what happens is Fury's team will say we will pay you £x to let Fury fight AJ next but you get shot at the winner or some similar arrangement.

Grand Master
    If there could be an arrangement, i think having Wilder vs Whyte and Fury vs AJ as the next round, then the winner of each facing off, seems fair as Whyte has been sitting waiting for his chance for a while now, plus if you leave Fury to have the unification, i think he loses interest after that if he beats AJ, so might be an easier prospect!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    The rematch clause is simply a contractual matter, it is not enforceable by any of the boxing federations / governing bodies. Therefore if Wilder requests the rematch and Fury refuses he can sue Fury and his team for breach of contract. Alternatively what happens is Fury's team will say we will pay you £x to let Fury fight AJ next but you get shot at the winner or some similar arrangement.
    Totally agree - I just hope Hearn does not get in the way, Fury / AJ will want it in the UK but Hearn will want to top up his own bank balance by having it in UAE

I’m sure Fury only has two more fights left on his ESPN contract, and no doubt they will have a say in any deal/fight, and take into account they only have two chances to cash in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    If there could be an arrangement, i think having Wilder vs Whyte and Fury vs AJ as the next round, then the winner of each facing off, seems fair as Whyte has been sitting waiting for his chance for a while now, plus if you leave Fury to have the unification, i think he loses interest after that if he beats AJ, so might be an easier prospect!
    Great solution, just need to bang those promoters heads together

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Totally agree - I just hope Hearn does not get in the way, Fury / AJ will want it in the UK but Hearn will want to top up his own bank balance by having it in UAE
    Agree, and all these guys are greedier than greedy but that Eddie Hearn just doesn't sit right with me

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Agree, and all these guys are greedier than greedy but that Eddie Hearn just doesn't sit right with me
    I imagine if I were in the shoes of guys like Bob Arum, Eddie Hearn, etc., I probably wouldn't be too altruistic either. TTTT