closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch polishing/scuff removal

Craftsman

Watch polishing/scuff removal

Hi all,
    Im just after a bit of advice if anyone has the time please.
    I have a watch with a few scratches on the back of the lugs from fitting/removing a collared spring bar (previous owner)
    I know you cant see them when the watch is worn but can they be polished out, does anyone bother with this?
    or am I just overthinking things lol
    Its an Orient saturation Diver so not the most expensive watch in the world by any means, but its my favourite watch Ive ever owned.
    On another note, has anyone seen the red example on Ebay with the scuff on the side, Im looking to buy another, a white face would be my preferred one but have not seen one for sale in the UK at all. If you have seen it, do you think the scuff could be removed, or would I have to live with it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Rob were going to need pics for a good answer !

I've followed this guide quite a few times and always get nicely polished cases, even if they are quite scratched. But it does help to be able to take the watch apart though :)

https://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex/...polishing.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Rob were going to need pics for a good answer !

My bad, and Im probably being too fussy about it but I just 'know' they're there
    I'll take a couple tomorrow in the light and you can see how tiny they really are lol
    Thanks for the reply

Is this is the eBay example that you mentioned?

It is likely that it will look better in the flesh. I’m pretty sure anyone with a bit of experience could make that largely disappear. Maybe one will comment on here.

I’m happy to take a risk with stuff like this though, so don’t take my judgement as being the same as yours. I’ve bought much worse looking watches and then generally been very pleasantly surprised when the arrive.

I think Alfas right looks like the light is really catching that and making it look a lot worse !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I've followed this guide quite a few times and always get nicely polished cases, even if they are quite scratched. But it does help to be able to take the watch apart though :)

Thanks for the info, Ive bookmarked that page for future reference.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Is this is the eBay example that you mentioned?

It is likely that it will look better in the flesh. I’m pretty sure anyone with a bit of experience could make that largely disappear. Maybe one will comment on here.

I’m happy to take a risk with stuff like this though, so don’t take my judgement as being the same as yours. I’ve bought much worse looking watches and then generally been very pleasantly surprised when the arrive.
    Thats the one, I couldnt work out how to save a pic from an ebay auction!
    This is the problem with zooming in and hi-res photos. My eyesight is not as good as it was and I cant even read the date on my black face version so am probably worrying over nothing.
    Your probably right about it, and I think its catching the light making it look a lot worse than it probably is.
    Its also going to be tucked away touching my arm so wouldnt show much.
    I'd still prefer a white one but just cannot find one anywhere atm.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Thats the one, I couldnt work out how to save a pic from an ebay auction!
    I don’t think you can. I just took a screenshot on my phone and cropped it.

Craftsman
    Good thinking, why didn't I lol

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I don’t think you can. I just took a screenshot on my phone and cropped it.
    Simply open the item listing, and click on the small picture at the upper left of the listing page.

This will open a new window which allows you to scroll through all pictures for an item.

On Windows, simply click right and 'Save As' to save the image.

Journeyman

Thats a cracking guide

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Simply open the item listing, and click on the small picture at the upper left of the listing page.

This will open a new window which allows you to scroll through all pictures for an item.

On Windows, simply click right and 'Save As' to save the image.
    Thanks, I didn’t know that. I never look at eBay on Windows unfortunately, and there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent method on an iPhone.

Well it does make for a near perfect finish and if you were keeping it as a 'safe queen' it would be a good thing to do. The technique is a bit too aggressive for me for a watch that is going to be worn fairly often. The watch will pick up these fine scratches again and how many times can you keep doing this without starting to 'soften' the shape as you remove the metal.

For watches that I wear I tend to go for a 90%+ finish, knowing a 100% finish won't stay long at that if worn.

So going from something like this.

To this, with a quick polish of the hands and batons as well.

Also from this...........

To this...................

Flying saucer!

Mitch