closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: The macro photography thread ( watches only)

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353

    The macro photography thread ( watches only)

    i purchased a macro lens a few days ago so decided to give it a try on my D850 camera.Its so different from any type of photography i have ever done so i kept it simple with just 1 light, no props. The lens is the Sigma 105mm os lens and it seems sharp enough.Well here goes for a few shots of my Parmigiani.

    Parmigiani macro by Mark Molloy, on Flickr


    Parmigiani macro rear by Mark Molloy, on Flickr
    Last edited by markyboy.1967; 24th February 2020 at 17:28.

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    i purchased a macro lens a few days ago so decided to give it a try on my D850 camera.Its so different from any time of photography i have ever done so i kept it simple with just 1 light, no props. The lens is the Sigma 105mm os lens and it seems sharp enough.Well here goes for a few shots of my Parmigiani.

    Parmigiani macro by Mark Molloy, on Flickr


    Parmigiani macro rear by Mark Molloy, on Flickr
    Having just purchased the same lens Thursday and receiving it today I too will be learning its capabilities this weekend.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    Seems a good lens for the money. Just need more time with it and to maybe do a small micro adjust if required. Next step is taking multiple images to get everything in focus.

  4. #4
    Lovely pics which would be even better with a proper lighting set up.

  5. #5
    Apprentice Pilkboids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    25
    Can you get a really close pic of the movement?

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkboids View Post
    Can you get a really close pic of the movement?

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    yep - any DSLR with a good macro lens - either (older MF manual lens) manual or this modern stuff will give you really good close ups, IF you take your time, position the watch correctly and get your exposure settings and lighting correct - plus experimentation - but watches are not an easy subject

  7. #7
    I have the same camera and it's outstanding. Except the tips about light so is my advise to shoot in (A)perture mode and with manual focus.
    If you shot with high F-stop there are no need for some focus stacking.

    Good luck.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    Jocke,you have some cracking images. What lenses are you using and what’s your typical lighting?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    Jocke,you have some cracking images. What lenses are you using and what’s your typical lighting?
    At the moment I use a Nikon D850 with a Zeiss 100mm Macro Planar lens, a LED panel with adjustable light and color tempetature, Manfrotto tripod and a home made soft box of white plexiglass.

    It looks like this.


  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    8,112
    Blog Entries
    19
    Similar to Jocke - I use my Nikon D850 with a Nikkor 105mm micro f2.8mm, which give 1:1 image at 10.5cm from the focal plane (from the sensor to object distance) - otherwise much the same. I bought a light box off amazon while back... The PITA is reflections - even with a light box there are sometimes difficult to get rid of.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Similar to Jocke - I use my Nikon D850 with a Nikkor 105mm micro f2.8mm, which give 1:1 image at 10.5cm from the focal plane (from the sensor to object distance) - otherwise much the same. I bought a light box off amazon while back... The PITA is reflections - even with a light box there are sometimes difficult to get rid of.
    I have the Nikon 105mm too and it's a great lens and with working auto focus at that time it is needed. I even have a Laowa 60mm macro lens that come really close but it is very tricky to use IMHO.

  12. #12
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,472
    It's definitely all about the light (and depth of field, as Jocke mentioned). With today's cameras, even without a macro lens you can crop close enough that IQ is still right up there, albeit that a macro lens is certainly more fit for purpose when it comes to watch photography.

    This is the default set-up that I use, although I'll often dispense with the on-camera flash and may switch the lights around a bit if I can be bothered. I have no dedicated shooting area and almost no room to manoeuvre and reflections can be a b*stard, but it works well enough most of the time. Oh, and I'll sometimes use a snoot on one of the lights, instead of an umbrella.


  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    I use a portable flash unit inside one of various soft boxes, set it up in the garage then put the light off so im in darkness some of the time then bounce the flash off a ceiling or wall( not literally). Getting hot spots very often though.
    Last edited by markyboy.1967; 22nd February 2020 at 20:43.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    If anyone wants to add Macro shots here tgen feel free and i can change the name of the thread to” show your macro shots”. Good to see the set ups as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    If anyone wants to add Macro shots here tgen feel free and i can change the name of the thread to” show your macro shots”. Good to see the set ups as well.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    8,112
    Blog Entries
    19
    Did you mean something like this (5K output). : i-qz6dgF4-X5.jpg <- try this link



    Photo details

    Camera Nikon NIKON D850
    Lens Unknown (3626640604045522178) 105mm
    Focal Length 105.0 mm (105.0 mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/11
    Exposure Time 0.25s (1/4)
    ISO 800
    Date Taken 2019-10-03 16:04:43
    Date Modified 2019-10-03 16:04:43
    Compressed Bits Per Pixel 4
    Flash No Flash
    Metering Multi-segment
    Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
    Exposure Mode Auto
    Light Source Unknown
    White Balance Manual
    Contrast Normal
    Saturation Normal
    Sharpness Hard
    Subject Range Unknown
    Sensing Method One-chip color area
    Scene Capture Type Standard
    Gain Control Low gain up
    Circle Of Confusion 0.030 mm
    Field Of View 19.5 deg
    Hyperfocal Distance 33.36 m
    Normalized Light Value 5.9
    Software Photos 4.0
    Serial Number 9020829
    Name MJC_2223.jpeg
    Size 3413 x 2275
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd February 2020 at 20:02.

  16. #16
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,159

    Trying a macro lens for the first time

    I must admit I had the dslr and all the lenses but it got to be too much of a faff for me, so I only use iPhone now. Of course you cannot achieve as good as a full camera set up, but with most images it’s 70% about the lighting. I took this quick pic this afternoon. If you can find a window with natural light but not direct then the results can be flattering without lots of reflections and pretty much in focus. Not perfect but plenty good for my needs.

    I did read somewhere that you can get macro lens adapters for iPhones which might be something I’ll look into

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's definitely all about the light (and depth of field, as Jocke mentioned). With today's cameras, even without a macro lens you can crop close enough that IQ is still right up there, albeit that a macro lens is certainly more fit for purpose when it comes to watch photography.

    This is the default set-up that I use, although I'll often dispense with the on-camera flash and may switch the lights around a bit if I can be bothered. I have no dedicated shooting area and almost no room to manoeuvre and reflections can be a b*stard, but it works well enough most of the time. Oh, and I'll sometimes use a snoot on one of the lights, instead of an umbrella.

    I really look forward to see what you come up with when you put battery in your flashes. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  18. #18
    Here you have a few macros.










  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    Good stuff folks and thanks for adding images.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    8,112
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I must admit I had the dslr and all the lenses but it got to be too much of a faff for me, so I only use iPhone now. Of course you cannot achieve as good as a full camera set up, but with most images it’s 70% about the lighting. I took this quick pic this afternoon. If you can find a window with natural light but not direct then the results can be flattering without lots of reflections and pretty much in focus. Not perfect but plenty good for my needs.

    I did read somewhere that you can get macro lens adapters for iPhones which might be something I’ll look into
    I am rapidly coming to that conclusion too. Just waiting for the next iteration of the iPhone to be released this year (I am on the XS edition at present) - may ditch the DSLR and go for something more portable - but this is getting off-topic.

  21. #21
    I only use DSLR to watches in studio, I really like all the settings & tweaks I can do in the camera. When I travel I use a Sony Cybershot RX100 IV, to watches in mini studio at Basel for example a Nikon CoolPix S9900.
    I only use my iPhone XS for quickshots so not so much.

  22. #22
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    I really look forward to see what you come up with when you put battery in your flashes. 藍藍藍藍藍藍
    Don't be cheeky.














    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd February 2020 at 20:51.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Don't be cheeky.














    Without any lens...
    Using a Note10

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Grand Master sundial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,801
    Lens manufacturers try and sell 'macro lenses' to those who assume they are essential for close-up photography … but on the Photomacrography Forum many macro enthusiasts prefer to use enlarging lenses which can be bought for £little. Marque macro lenses are designed for use at both close focus distances and also infinity. Relatively inexpensive and often cheap enlarging lenses are designed specifically for close focus imaging.

    These photos were taken with an ancient £50 Canon 450D fitted with even more ancient £20 Rodenstock 50mm enlarging lens









    Anyone new to close-up photography can find a wealth of information and tips about the subject on the Photomacrography Forum https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ … where one of the most popular close-up accessories is the Raynox 150 supplementary close-up lens. Surprisingly, this 3 element achromat which costs c.£60, can produce results every bit as good as a marque macro lens. And the latest mirrorless and DSLR cameras are not necessary for good close-ups … any cameras can be used … https://www.photomacrography.net/for...31c0404566943e

    dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    685
    Galaxy S9 with a watchmakers loupe over the lens -










  26. #26
    Grand Master sundial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,801
    ^^^ great images … and shows that a macro lens is not essential for macro photos.

    The supplementary c/u lens has improved the camera's macro capability.

    Also note that a phone camera's smaller sensor enables greater depth of field compared to e.g. M4/3, APS-C and FF cameras.

    dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

  27. #27
    Some stunning photos on this thread, thank you. Anyone got a macro shot of a moonwatch movement?

  28. #28
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,179

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,196
    Taken ages ago with a (very obviously) cheap macro lens and cheap mobile phone....

    Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Is that the Fortis “Arts” or whatever they called them? Lots of different arty faces on some of the pilot pro chronos and stuff?
    They were well cool. Never saw them as popular but I loved them!
    Good photo!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Is that the Fortis “Arts” or whatever they called them?
    Good photo!
    Thanks and almost, it's a 'West in Space' Stratoliner.

  32. #32
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,472
    A few more...








  33. #33
    Some incredible macro shots guys! Here're some of mine taken with a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens






  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Some stunning photos on this thread, thank you. Anyone got a macro shot of a moonwatch movement?
    Here is a few I have.












  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    Some cracking images being posted. I cant wait to add a few more at the weekend.

  36. #36
    Thank you Jocke, Tony, and everyone else- some incredible pictures!

  37. #37
    Craftsman Pupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oundle UK
    Posts
    258
    Impressive how lots of these are showing some good depth of field... must be some serious lighting going on.
    My 105mm Micro Nikkor produces razor thin focus depths...

    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

  38. #38
    Not a macro
    Just a close-up with my phone while driving(at the red light :) )

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,472
    Just a few more movement shots, as all of these (the movements, not the photos) are spectacular on one way or another... such an amazing things, these trinkets we wear on our wrists.








  40. #40
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Hove,UK
    Posts
    91
    Some wonderful photos on display. I love the movement photos- please keep them coming!
    This is my meagre offering. IMG_9987.jpgIMG_5971.jpg

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,894
    I was bought a cheapie light tent off Amazon for Christmas but not had chance to have a play until now. I'm not a camera buff and don't have a dedicated macro lens, so had a go with my M4/3 Oly 40-150 pro. The tent kit came with a couple of LED strips and a flimsy velcro-on diffuser which was pretty rubbish, so I had to improvise with some A4 folded around the lights. The edges of the reflections on the crystal are pretty harsh, so will have to experiment more.





    Last edited by gcleminson; 25th February 2020 at 14:45.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I was bought a cheapie light tent off Amazon for Christmas but not had chance to have a play until now. I'm not a camera buff and don't have a dedicated macro lens, so had a go with my M4/3 Oly 40-150 pro. The tent kit came with a couple of LED strips and a flimsy velcro-on diffuser which was pretty rubbish, so I had to improvise with some A4 folded around the lights. The edges of the reflections on the crystal are pretty harsh, so will have to experiment more.





    That's a really good shot, great work.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353
    a couple of shots today with the new 105 macro lens and this time i decided to use the light tent but still only using 1 light source, i will ad another light once i find what i like with the single light.

    Macro 1 ready by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

    Macro 2 ready by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

    - - - Updated - - -

    Omega ready by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

    Zenith 1 ready by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

  44. #44
    Taken with my phone during my 7th call/meeting today(the joys of wfh)....

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    353

    The macro photography thread ( watches only)

    Messing around with a torch and the Nikon D850 today to create a bit of lume.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information