closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biten by the Rolex bug

Biten by the Rolex bug

Hello guys
    Even if I thought that I have enough watches to keep me happy...well....
    Been thinking about the biggest in diameter Rolex available and found this
    https://www.md-watches.com/product/r...f-116660-44mm/
    Please help me with any advise you might think that can be usefull for me prior to buying
    Many thanks in advance
    Marius

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

In the end it is a question of taste/style, but this would be the very last Rolex model I would ever consider buying - mainly because of its size.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

My advice would be to get a Blancpain 50 Fathoms instead. It is a much nicer watch. That model Rolex is pretty unrefined. Sign of the times I just saw one in an AD window which is a first for a long long time

Master
    If you want Rolex, I’d buy the SD43. Wears much better. Deep sea is quite top heavy.

Journeyman

Biten by the Rolex bug

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    Hello guys
    Even if I thought that I have enough watches to keep me happy...well....
    Been thinking about the biggest in diameter Rolex available and found this
    https://www.md-watches.com/product/r...f-116660-44mm/
    Please help me with any advise you might think that can be usefull for me prior to buying
    Many thanks in advance
    Marius

I've always owned one or two watches at one given time. When the turn came to Rolex I just couldn't get many of their stunning models only because they looked tiny to my eyes until I was offered the Deep Sea and Sea Dweller 43 to try on.
    Once on my wrist I just couldn't help not to order it, the SD43 is big enough yet so well proportioned with a incredible wrist presence. It wears so well like the 41mm Tudor I have but it sits even lower on my 7.5” wrist.
    The Deep Sea is also amazing but disproportioned due to it's insane case height. On the wrist it looks like you're stacking 2 watches over each other.
    Go try both and decide, you can't go wrong either way. Best divers ever made in my opinion.
    Key rule to follow when wearing such models is to have them sized snug and behind the wrist bine. Those watches just can't be worn loose.
    Last edited by Rori; 22nd February 2020 at 15:28.

I had one and loved it. I wish I could afford another. I loved the heavy proportion. Its one of those rolexes universally disliked and I think it will be one of the ones in years to come that gets re evaluated

I tried one on in a jewellers near me and felt it was perfectly proportioned and sat well on my 8.5 inch diameter wrist.

Objectively this watch is too large, heavy and despite how it “feels” on your wrist, or how you think it looks, it is genuinely out of proportion / balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    In the end it is a question of taste/style, but this would be the very last Rolex model I would ever consider buying - mainly because of its size.
    To be honest it's the size that attracts me...
    I am not broking when I say that I do have gorilla wrist...I always have to order custom straps .....the only one that fit me from the factory is the Panerai cautchouch...nothing else
    As a consequence the watch and to be massive to fit...
    In my collection the smallest one is 45.5mm...
    If possible I'll give it a try next week....

I’m a current owner of a 116660 (i.e. first generation) DSSD and absolutely love it. I predominantly collect 44mm-46mm tool watches and the Rolex fits right in. I don’t find it top heavy at all, although I should say that I have mine on a RubberB strap rather than the bracelet.

It was purchased through this forum.

Given my predilection for larger watches, the only Rolex models I would consider would be either the Deepsea or an SD43 - I’ve never tried on the latter so can’t offer a comparison.

It’s certainly worth trying one on.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Objectively this watch is too large, heavy and despite how it “feels” on your wrist, or how you think it looks, it is genuinely out of proportion / balance
    ... in your opinion...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I’m a current owner of a 116660 (i.e. first generation) DSSD and absolutely love it. I predominantly collect 44mm-46mm tool watches and the Rolex fits right in. I don’t find it top heavy at all, although I should say that I have mine on a RubberB strap rather than the bracelet.

It was purchased through this forum.

Given my predilection for larger watches, the only Rolex models I would consider would be either the Deepsea or an SD43 - I’ve never tried on the latter so can’t offer a comparison.

It’s certainly worth trying one on.

Simon
    Thanks Simon
    I'll certainly will try one on
    How do you find the price?

Go big or go home has they say,you won’t regret buying one if you’ve got 44-47mm panerai,I’m on my second,the only watch I’ve owned twice.
    The original ones had a narrow bracelet at the clasp which is why they feel top heavy ,I’ve also got mine on a rubber b and it’s really comfortable and obviously makes it look different,there’s been a couple on sc for around 7.5k.
    Mines a mark 1 dial which doesn’t really bother me but these little things do mean something to collectors ,I’m sure if you ask someone would be willing to let you try there’s if there based near you .

Master
    I found it too heavy for comfort wearing all day

The weight and heft never bothered me, I didn't find it top heavy and wore it every day for a year

Master
    The DSSD tends to be a bit binary, and I fall into the loving it camp. I had an original black dial which I sold to get a JC after a few years. I added the 126660 about a year ago. The narrow ish bracelet had never bothered me until I tried the newer model, and I now plan to put the 116660 onto a rubber b or the like.
    The 126600 is a fine watch, possibly the perfect "only" Rolex (other opinions are available), but the DSSD feels that little bit special, especially with the JC dial.
    As others have said, do try before you buy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Try it and make up your own mind. It is certainly big and heavy. Having said that my Mk I DSSD and JC are two of my most worn watches and unlike most, I love the bracelet taper. BPFF is certainly more refined if that is what you want but I tend to wear those far less often.

... in your opinion...

Simon
    Ok you’re right it looks great, buy it

....I just might

It’s definitely a try before you buy watch.

Too thick / top heavy for me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

the DSSD is a great watch and to me underrated and will have its day,love mine and my JC.Try one ,youll either get it or not

Blog Entries
    For me it would be too big and definitely too top heavy. I could live with the diameter more than the height. Remember when I bought my Planet Ocean the 8000 series had just come out and the dealer had both models in stock. The deciding factor for me was the height, so I bought the earlier model, even though the newer model was probably the sensible choice for future values.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Simon

I’m always intrigued by the fact that so many people make a song and dance about the height of the DSSD (18mm if I remember correctly), and yet nobody ever seems to comment on the comparative height of the Avenger Seawolf at 18.5mm

I’ve got one of those, too...

Simon

I’m always intrigued by the fact that so many people make a song and dance about the height of the DSSD (18mm if I remember correctly), and yet nobody ever seems to comment on the comparative height of the Avenger Seawolf at 18.5mm

Simon
    I think (don't know for sure) that all of these are equal or heigher than DSSD
    Am I wrong?
    P.S.: I'm loving wearing those

Master
    Marmite watch. I love mine and I find it very comfortable to wear. No regrets, great watch.

Thank you all for your valuable advices
    One more please: pricewise ...what do you think?

Master
    Thank you all for your valuable advices
    One more please: pricewise ...what do you think?

Are you looking for the newer 126660 or the 116660? And which dial? At second hand prices I would not pay the premium asked for a JC dial, but would so do if each were available at retail. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Are you looking for the newer 126660 or the 116660? And which dial? At second hand prices I would not pay the premium asked for a JC dial, but would so do if each were available at retail. If that makes sense.

There were one or two JC DSSD which only went for a small premium recently. RRP has gone up and private prices have stayed the same/come down a little so the difference is much less than it has been.

I am actually asking about the one in the link.
    How do you find that one pricewise?
    Thank you guys for help

Master
    That is an 11 year old watch. Search old SC posts and you will get an idea. Personally would hold out for a 126660 black dial, even if paying a bit more.

Master
    I am actually asking about the one in the link.
    How do you find that one pricewise?
    Thank you guys for help

That pricing is the top end of pricing for a non-JC Deep Sea Sea dweller. They can be found for £8750-£10500. JC tends to be closer to the £12k.

Supply is improving, waitlists getting shorter and not as many people buying at premiums.

If it’s genuine, warranted, serviced by Rolex with evidence and receipts, full set then maybe. But at £750 less would be a good deal!

Biten by the Rolex bug

I think it’s a bit pricey at €9000 Euros, to be honest Marius.
    A 2-minute trawl of Chrono24 turns up similar watches around the £7500 mark, and most Chrono24 prices are open to a little negotiation.

I don’t know if you have access to Sales Corner here, but a few 116660 DSSDs have shown up there recently that were younger and priced between £7k and £7.5k...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 23rd February 2020 at 18:53.

I really like mine, and it’s a bit of a bargain compared to Seine Rolex sport models at the minute. Never was a big seller, and I doubt they make that many of them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Simon
    I've owned both and they are both to deep/high to be practical day to day wearers. They are fine at a desk/watching TV/going out but for actually doing stuff, it is not practical to have a watch that is nearly 2cm tall.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    To be honest it's the size that attracts me...
    I am not broking when I say that I do have gorilla wrist...I always have to order custom straps .....the only one that fit me from the factory is the Panerai cautchouch...nothing else
    As a consequence the watch and to be massive to fit...
    In my collection the smallest one is 45.5mm...
    If possible I'll give it a try next week....

It's a great watch if worn properly. It has to be close to the wrist....as apposed to being loose.

I've seen recently serviced 2013 watches for £9k.

I think it’s a bit pricey at €9000 Euros, to be honest Marius.
    A 2-minute trawl of Chrono24 turns up similar watches around the £7500 mark, and most Chrono24 prices are open to a little negotiation.

I don’t know if you have access to Sales Corner here, but a few 116660 DSSDs have shown up there recently that were younger and priced between £7k and £7.5k...

Simon
    Can’t find any recent sales of DSSD on SC at that price range except that well used one for a tad under £7k.

Love them and pops on a RubberB.

2009/10 black DSSD's are usually around £7450-8250 for a good complete set. Watchfinder are 8.5k no papers is there cheapest.Mine sadly goes next weekend......

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I've owned both and they are both to deep/high to be practical day to day wearers. They are fine at a desk/watching TV/going out but for actually doing stuff, it is not practical to have a watch that is nearly 2cm tall.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Each to their own. In post #16 Olives makes the comment that he wore his “every day for a year”...

I would cheerfully wear my DSSD doing anything. I completely agree that it would be uncomfortable worn loose, though.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Can’t find any recent sales of DSSD on SC at that price range except that well used one for a tad under £7k.
    Well, Kevin Glover sold a very good condition full-set 2016 116660 on Sales Corner for an advertised £7,000 in September.

Simon

Well, Kevin Glover sold a very good condition full-set 2016 116660 on Sales Corner for an advertised £7,000 in September.

Simon
    Surely that was pre 2020 price rise?

I’d still maintain that €9000 from a dealer is a decent price. At tourist exchange rates, that’s £7650.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Surely that was pre 2020 price rise?

I’d still maintain that €9000 from a dealer is a decent price. At tourist exchange rates, that’s £7650.
    I’d agree with you, thinking about it. I suppose that if a good dealer price is £7650 then I’d still expect a good SC price to be around £500 less based on my I experiences in the past...

Simon

I’d agree with you, thinking about it. I suppose that if a good dealer price is £7650 then I’d still expect a good SC price to be around £500 less based on my I experiences in the past...

Simon
    I remember a few years ago when used ones started with a £5...

Simon
    Hello,

I guess I will wait for a good one to pop up on the SC
    I am not in a big rush at all
    Seen the watch....liked it...but it has a scratched saphire(the dealer said that it will cost at least 500€ to replace) and he also said that he added an extra link on the bracelet to fit my wrist (100 euros) so ....the price will remain 9k
    In my humble oppinion (if I were to sell the watch I will apply some discount to the F2F buyer ( I mean...I would substract the chrono24 commision...at least 6.5% and the price of the new saphire ....as long and the watch was advertised as a 10/10 condition)
    On the others hand the dealer was extremely nice and professional
    So.....I'll go back on the waiting room

Last edited by marius; 24th February 2020 at 19:24.

Lol @ 100 euros for a single link. That's quite rude.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133095682825

This is the price from the WF eBay store. Would only buy from there if you aren't able to get to Rolex.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 24th February 2020 at 18:34.

Don't forget it is hugely adjustable with the glidelock clasp. Also if you remove the dive extension as well it can adjust further for comfort.

I am wearing mine now and it is a hefty thing, but I love it for that and the fact it has a 3900m depth rating LOL

Going to put mine back on the rubber b for a more casual look.

Hello,

I guess I will wait for a good one to pop up on the SC
    I am not in a big rush at all
    Seen the watch....liked it...but it has a scratched saphire(the dealer said that it will cost at least 500€ to replace) and he also said that he added an extra link on the bracelet to fit my wrist (100 euros) so ....the price will remain 9k
    In my humble oppinion (if I were to sell the watch I will apply some discount to the F2F buyer ( I mean...I would substract the chrono24 commision...at least 6.5% and the price of the new saphire ....as long and the watch was advertised as a 10/10 condition)
    On the others hand the dealer was etremely nice and professional
    So.....I'll go back on the waiting room

Unbelievable. Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

The description states 10/10 and professionally serviced in December 2019! If it was 10/10 it shouldn’t have had the scratch on the sapphire. Also a decent service should have replaced the crystal. Furthermore, with the Deepsea, only Rolex can service them due to their depth rating.

Nice that you mentioned that!
    He said that he can order the crystal from a dealer and install it here locally...
    Never thought of that but makes a lot if sense.....

The inner chapter ring nonsense kills it for me.

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?