closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Box and papers

Master
    Blog Entries

Box and papers

A watch has taken my eye for sale used,no box or papers.This is normally a red line for me,but I’m in two minds.Im interested to hear other members views on box,papers,history.I would have posted this in watch talk,but I can’t access it.

Blog Entries
    Buy the seller.

I’d say it depends on the make, model and price. £200 Seiko diver or £10,000 Rolex.

Also depends on your intentions with the watch. Wear, safe, flip. Ideally you’ll see a reduced purchase price if you buy without b&p, which will be reflected in offer prices when you come to sell and of course the ease of sale. You have to balance between getting a bargain today and being easier to sell on tomorrow.

Next is provenance. While by no means solid proof, a genuine box and papers set does go a long way in your due diligence process to establish authenticity.

At the end of the day you don’t wear the box.

Master
    As said buy the seller.
    For me it depends on what my intentions would be, if it's a keeper and/or a beater then I'm not that bothered, if I think I may flip it at some point then I'd prefer B&P unless the price was right to start with.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Even at the cheaper end I like to have B&P.
    I've just bought an RAF Gen2 Pulsar Chrono and paid a bit more for a NOS example not just because it is unused but that it is the full set.
    Its not really logical but I just like it that way.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

I prefer having the box and papers but mainly because of what I have read on watch forums!

It goes a small way to ensure the watch has not been stolen from someone’s wrist, it’s a place to keep a spare link and the guarantee where it can be found, easier for selling on if needs be.

There must be people who throw away the box by I can’t see it, they are quite nice things some of them.

Master
    I'd rather not have box and papers. Just one more thing to find space for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Buy the seller.
    Seller is good,it’s the box and papers or lack off I’m bothered about.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 22nd February 2020 at 10:09.

Fantastic, the old "box and paper's" question again.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It's a modern thing, any watch under 10 years old you would almost expect everything to be present because everyone is instructed to keep everything via various Watch forums etc. However, buying vintage and you are unlikely to get them. People threw the guarantees away after they expired or used the boxes for something else.

I collect vintage Seiko and it is fairly rare to find box and papers on a 25 year old plus watch, even having all the bracelet links present is a bonus, so buying the watch is what's important.

As has been said many times, box and papers on an Orient Mako means little, on a Red Submariner adds a few grand to the value of the package - horses for courses.

Mick P will be along soon to remind us that papers can be faked

I had someone on here send me a box, manual and blank warranty card for a Seiko.

I believed they were generic Seiko bits and were not from the watch

So I would add that quality of box and papers is important also

Since so many watches are from abroad and have no real proof of age or a dealer stamp

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I had someone on here send me a box, manual and blank warranty card for a Seiko.

I believed they were generic Seiko bits and were not from the watch

So I would add that quality of box and papers is important also

Since so many watches are from abroad and have no real proof of age or a dealer stamp
    I've had a few watches from sources like Drop/Massdrop - they are full set because they're new, but cards etc are never completed. This is just the price you pay going for cheapest source, and should make no difference to a subsequent purchaser, not least because no-one is obliged to honour warranties once the item leaves the original buyer. Conscientious manufacturers will help if what you purchase has some kind of manufacturing fault, but you're on your own otherwise.

So far as the OP goes - are you a keeper or a flipper? My guess is: Buying cheapest option = not seen the watch in the metal = higher likelihood of wanting to move-on = don't buy the cheapest! Paradoxes - dontcha love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I've had a few watches from sources like Drop/Massdrop - they are full set because they're new, but cards etc are never completed. This is just the price you pay going for cheapest source, and should make no difference to a subsequent purchaser, not least because no-one is obliged to honour warranties once the item leaves the original buyer. Conscientious manufacturers will help if what you purchase has some kind of manufacturing fault, but you're on your own otherwise.

So far as the OP goes - are you a keeper or a flipper? My guess is: Buying cheapest option = not seen the watch in the metal = higher likelihood of wanting to move-on = don't buy the cheapest! Paradoxes - dontcha love 'em!
    Manufacturers aren't legally obliged to honour warranties but is their stated policy to do so and subsequent buyers are never 'on their own'. (Big-name companies anyway.)

As long as lack of box and papers reflect on price, I don’t need them.

I usually buy at the more vintage end so box and papers are a rarity.

As long as you know what you are looking at and not a recent Rolex I wouldn't worry.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Good advice from others , its down to you and what you can live with . I, like a few others here own mostly vintage , so I get quite excited if I find a nice piece with original box and papers

Master
    Blog Entries
    All good advice for the future,the one I had my eye on sold.

Dependant on the watch. The more “high end” the watch the more it plays a part especially when it comes to resale.

If it’s a keeper that you intend to take to your grave, then it’s nice to have but nothing more.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I like Box and Papers. As a collector it adds to the pleasure of owning the Watch.

I do have a Birth Year Datejust though without them. At that (my) age it adds substantially to the cost so rather have the watch than not.

Grand Master
    If you want that particular watch and it doesn't have box & papers,what more can you do!.

They ain't available.....only you can make the decision.

And if vintage watches are your preference,and you like or must have box & papers,you'll have a smaller and or expensive collection.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 23rd February 2020 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    A watch has taken my eye for sale used,no box or papers.This is normally a red line for me,but I’m in two minds.Im interested to hear other members views on box,papers,history.I would have posted this in watch talk,but I can’t access it.
    You’re asking because you would rather have the b&p so need validation here (natural) that not having them would be ok

I’m giving you validation, go get your watch my friend you can’t wear a box nor the papers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    You’re asking because you would rather have the b&p so need validation here (natural) that not having them would be ok

I’m giving you validation, go get your watch my friend you can’t wear a box nor the papers

No,not looking for validation just curious what other thought.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Although my post seemed to upset some people,as an update I decided box and papers mean a lot to me and a new watch was purchased.Thanks to those that answered.

Journeyman
    This always gets to me, sold my 2004 16570 watch only, the amount of people saying it was worthless really wound me up.

Do you really think a piece of paper telling you it had 12 months warranty 16 years ago is worth thousands of pounds, no chance! It is worthless now.

Is the watch real, is it not stolen, is yes to both of those then buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskibbledj View Post
    This always gets to me, sold my 2004 16570 watch only, the amount of people saying it was worthless really wound me up.

Do you really think a piece of paper telling you it had 12 months warranty 16 years ago is worth thousands of pounds, no chance! It is worthless now.

Is the watch real, is it not stolen, is yes to both of those then buy it.
    Take no notice.

All this box and papers lark is a recent phenomenon.

In the past Rolex owners wouldn't care and the makers advice was to use the now useless box for cigarettes!

Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Buy the seller.
    Best advice...

I have no problem to buy a lets say Omega with no papers, no box. But I wouldn´t buy it from the interenet from I guy with no solid feedback

Master
    I personally like box and papers, shows the original owner and/or subsequent owners took extra pride

Buy the seller.
    Best advice. The only other additional advice I'd give is depends on your use - if you're looking for a daily wearer, then B&Ps are not important and can mean a cheaper watch. If you want a more 'collectible' watch, then indeed a full set is more desirable. But in all cases, buy the seller.

Craftsman
    All depends on the watch for me, vintage no biggy new watch I wouldn’t buy, each to there own though !