closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone use an App to manage their collection ?

Master

Anyone use an App to manage their collection ?

I see several Apps in the App Store to catalogue a collection and record details such as servicing.

Anyone use an app that they’d recommend?

No, never.

Why?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Compartments for Mac is an inventory system that is easy to use

It’s a sign you are in too deep if you need to invest in order to catalogue a watch collection.

Grand Master
    I use a notebook and pen, why the hell do you need a bloody app for this?

A spreadsheet on a computer might be useful, but you don't need it on your telephone!

I'd store that sort of stuff in Evernote but I store a lot of stuff in there...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

A spreadsheet on a computer might be useful, but you don't need it on your telephone!
    Once again Paul, another (ir)rational reply from your good self riddled with expletive content.
    If the guy wants it on his phone surely he can do, no ?

Excel

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I use a piece of slate with a hammer and chisel, why the hell do you need a bloody notebook and pen?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Excel

Same with me... Good old excel + one folder for the photos..

Why?

I have a watch box , when I open it I see all my watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I see several Apps in the App Store to catalogue a collection and record details such as servicing.

Anyone use an app that they’d recommend?

If only I needed one!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    Why?

+1

I was going today that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Excel
    Yep. Does enough for me.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    The easiest app is built into the C24 iOS app allowing you to list your watches and get a market average too, its a bit pissed but roughly manages values
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The easiest app is built into the C24 iOS app allowing you to list your watches and get a market average too, its a bit pissed but roughly manages values
    That's what I use.

It's handy for looking at value trends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    Why?

Might lose track of what each piece owes you

The following is probably only for people that have a wish to control and order every aspect of their life (like me) and build system for tasks that seems insignificant to others.

I haven’t found an app that can do what I’m looking for so I’ve written some code myself in “Shorcuts”. This code tracks my watches with regards to “location” “last wear date” “wear rate” and a “random watch” function, so I’m not troubled with picking today’s watch myself

Does this make sense? Absolutely not, but coding in Shortcuts keeps me a bit in the loop about all this home automation hype, and as I’m not working with code in my daily job I learn something new.

Most importantly (my wife says) the coding keeps me away from various sales corners and Ebay ;)

The full routine/script isn’t finished so isn’t release as a public “Shortcuts” yet. If interested in the code, send me a PM and I’ll share what I currently have.

Geek greetings - Longbear

I've got a watch man to do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've got a watch man to do it for me.
    +1
    Like a Boss

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Notebook and pen.

It's worked since the '80's so I see no reason to change.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Another shout for Excel.

There's a free version for Android devices, (don't know about for Apple devices), so you can have it on your tablet and/or phone as well as your PC.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Thank you for the helpful replies.

I have an app for my motorbikes that tracks MoT, service, insurance, etc its useful and helps when keeping everything legal.

I have a ‘few’ watches and I’m advised that for insurance I need to provide model, serial numbers and preferably proof of purchase. Therefore in addition to tracking serial number and provenance I could use it for service scheduling.

Yes, I could use a notebook but I find Apps that sync with my other devices convenient. I recently had batteries changed in some watches and if I’d noticed another watch last had a change 3 years ago I would have had that changed too. A simple app would have been very convenient.

Think I will finish the Excel spreadsheet I started..

Again, thank you for the helpful answers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Thank you for the helpful replies.

I have an app for my motorbikes that tracks MoT, service, insurance, etc its useful and helps when keeping everything legal.

I have a ‘few’ watches and I’m advised that for insurance I need to provide model, serial numbers and preferably proof of purchase. Therefore in addition to tracking serial number and provenance I could use it for service scheduling.

Yes, I could use a notebook but I find Apps that sync with my other devices convenient. I recently had batteries changed in some watches and if I’d noticed another watch last had a change 3 years ago I would have had that changed too. A simple app would have been very convenient.

Think I will finish the Excel spreadsheet I started..

Again, thank you for the helpful answers.
    as I said "Compartments for Mac is an inventory system that is easy to use" - works for me as a basic summary level

it's important to record serial numbers etc., etc., - service details, condition and costs, plus any unusual factors, good images should also be taken- I have about 40 watches

You can also use it for all your other stuff - I have quite a lot of (new and old), photographic equipment

also a good record for insurance purposes, if that is needed

(also I did use it for Motor Bikes - I had 12 BMW's at one time with lots and lots of spares - I supplemented the inventory with word documents with links to images in LR)
    Last edited by BillN; 22nd February 2020 at 17:27.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    as I said "Compartments for Mac is an inventory system that is easy to use" - works for me as a basic summary level

it's important to record serial numbers etc., etc., - service details, condition and costs, plus any unusual factors, good images should also be taken- I have about 40 watches

You can also use it for all your other stuff - I have quite a lot of (new and old), photographic equipment

also a good record for insurance purposes, if that is needed

(also I did use it for Motor Bikes - I had 12 BMW's at one time with lots and lots of spares - I supplemented the inventory with word documents with links to images in LR)
    I looked at that but it's only supported by older OS's so.......a thumbs down from me.

Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    The following is probably only for people that have a wish to control and order every aspect of their life (like me) and build system for tasks that seems insignificant to others.

I haven’t found an app that can do what I’m looking for so I’ve written some code myself in “Shorcuts”. This code tracks my watches with regards to “location” “last wear date” “wear rate” and a “random watch” function, so I’m not troubled with picking today’s watch myself

Does this make sense? Absolutely not, but coding in Shortcuts keeps me a bit in the loop about all this home automation hype, and as I’m not working with code in my daily job I learn something new.

Most importantly (my wife says) the coding keeps me away from various sales corners and Ebay ;)

The full routine/script isn’t finished so isn’t release as a public “Shortcuts” yet. If interested in the code, send me a PM and I’ll share what I currently have.

Geek greetings - Longbear

This is interesting - a watch collection tool that would help you keep track of your collection and also analytics on what you’re wearing most / least, most worn on which days, and whatever else

Good bit of fun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I looked at that but it's only supported by older OS's so.......a thumbs down from me.

Cannot you just create a form in a database app?

I would have used Filemaker in the past

Master
    Another feature that would be useful would be tracking if I bought the watch via this forum as if I decide to sell or trade I suspect the practice is to offer it here first.

Master
    If you’re using Iphone, you might want to check out Watchee.

https://apps.apple.com/fi/app/watchee/id1438199765

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post

Thanks will take a look at that.

Master
    I used to use Bento but sadly that’s old history now so I use the Chrono24 app as previously mentioned.

The silly values it attributes also helps me feel better about how much money this absurd hobby costs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    An App..?

Nope, just look in the drawers, or safe and get them out to play!!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Excel for me.

Headers:

Bought Date Watch No Watch Name Bought Amount Sold Date Sold Amount Own NEW FOR OLD

Filter on "Own" = Y / N to show current watches.

Data could be used to calculate buy / sell / turnover rates per month / year - but it's too frightening.

Can also add images of serial numbers and pictures of the watches for insurance. All stored local and remote in case my computer malfunctions or is itself nicked. Protected by 2-factor authentication. blah blah.

Alarming "watch number" is now 33 and the number owned is currently 9 - go figure!

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd February 2020 at 19:34.

Craftsman
    I tend to use watchbox which is borderline OK. But more useful for news and updates more generally.

I do of course also have an Excel sheet, but that isn’t really handy for day to day changes.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post

I thought Watchee would be the solution, but the “Status” setting makes not much sense as the “watch of the day” can be a watch that is broken or out for service. I contacted the developer but never got any feedback

Further it wasn’t clear to me if the collection is shared in some way to the developer or commercial partners. The developers web page has a section about GPDR, which (in my view) shouldn’t be needed if the data was stored locally and solely owned by the user.

'Managing'? Have some of you got unruly collections then? My lot are pretty well behaved although the Panarais can be a bit feisty when they get in a huddle, and the Offshore Professional is a real thug if upset...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Excel, plus word documents including all the detailed stuff, with imbedded photos and scans of 3rd party documents.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I've used Cardbox on my PC to create a database for my collection.

Sample screen:

Wow.

I now feel borderline inadequate, since I don’t have any way to manage my collection at all.

Indeed, now I think about it I don’t have any record of the watches I own. They’re not even stored in the same place: the important ones are in a pelicase in the safe, but there are sundry seikos and G-shocks scattered all over the house. It makes opening drawers an exciting journey of discovery, though: “aaah, that’s where I left my Newmark 6BB/5610/Samurai! I’ve not worn that in ages”, etc.

I truly admire the dedication in evidence above - but I do not share it!

Master
    I honestly didn’t think such an innocuous question would generate such a diverse range of responses- gentlemen and ladies (?), thank you !

Master
    This has got me thinking. Like several others I have an Excel workbook which catalogues what I have, what I bought it for, what I sold it for, when it was serviced etc, but I haven't yet linked photos to the entries. I was required to send photos for insurance purposes, and it would have been good to have a repository for that stuff as well.

There is an app on the MacOS App Store called Home Inventory which looks like it should do all that that and more, but £39 for an app which hasn't been updated in a year seems a little steep...

Master
    I use excel to keep track of timegrapher outputs and serial numbers.

Also have a massive sheet with all of my watches on it, since I started this ridiculous business 7 years ago. Up to 178 so far...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I use excel to keep track of timegrapher outputs and serial numbers.

Also have a massive sheet with all of my watches on it, since I started this ridiculous business 7 years ago. Up to 178 so far...
    OMG, 178? I thought i was bad.

Excel to track what I have & what I've sold + record service history etc. + photo's

I don't track what I've worn & when - life's too short.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

'OnMyWrist' App, free for iPhone.

Allows entry of basic details - purchase & sale dates, bought & sold prices, servicing, photo etc.

I like it for tracking my wearing statistics - over 30 days, 90 days & 'all time'.

Interesting to see how little some quite expensive watches are worn - kept more for sentiment than use - and how some watches just seem to become a default option, despite not being amongst my 'best' watches.

Essential? Not at all. Geeky? Yep. But I find it interesting, and helpful when focusing upon which watches maybe should be nearing the exit door.

It's not a chore to update - literally takes four taps of the screen to open the App & record the watch worn that day. Given the hours I spend daily on my phone (too much...) it's a minute effort.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    'OnMyWrist' App, free for iPhone.

Allows entry of basic details - purchase & sale dates, bought & sold prices, servicing, photo etc.

I like it for tracking my wearing statistics - over 30 days, 90 days & 'all time'.

Interesting to see how little some quite expensive watches are worn - kept more for sentiment than use - and how some watches just seem to become a default option, despite not being amongst my 'best' watches.

Essential? Not at all. Geeky? Yep. But I find it interesting, and helpful when focusing upon which watches maybe should be nearing the exit door.

It's not a chore to update - literally takes four taps of the screen to open the App & record the watch worn that day. Given the hours I spend daily on my phone (too much...) it's a minute effort.
    Would second this. Very easy app to use and does give interesting insights into what you wear (and what you don’t!)

I use this as well. All the orices seem a bit inflated but it's a handy tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post