closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decent translator apps or devices for trip to Brazil?

Decent translator apps or devices for trip to Brazil?

Hi, my wife and I are going to Brazil with our Church for a couple of weeks in July and want to have some sort of translator to quickly and easily voice translate to and from English/Portuguese.
    We will be interacting with people both in and out of the churches there and we would rather not take our phones at all if we can help it. We would however consider taking them it if a decent and easy to use app could be bought for them that doesn't rely on data/internet connectivity as we're not sure how good it will be where we're going.
    I have seen a few specific translator devices but they are all fairly expensive and to be honest we may never use it again or at least not much.

Can anyone recommend a decent app (preferably Android) or cheap device that doesn't need connectivity to work, even if it only does the one language i.e. Portuguese?

Also any suggestions for decent and straightforward/basic apps or resources to learn a few key phrases and words?
    I'm singing in a Christian festival (Corn Festival) whilst I'm over there and it would be nice to say a few words as a mark of respect to the people.

I appreciate it's a bit of a random request but there seems to be a wide range of well travelled and intelligent people on here so it's worth asking?

Thanks
    Neil.

Master
    What's the reason for not wanting to take your phone out?

To be honest probably just paranoia.
    I'm always a little wary when travelling, won't take my omega SMPc either as we will be going to Rio for a few days whilst over there and you hear about crime etc.
    In reality it may be no different than going to London so perhaps we're being a bit daft?
    Even if we did take them though I'd like an app that doesn't need to be connected if possible in case there is no signal or we don't want to pay the potentially expensive costs.

I’d have thought a cheap Android phone and google translate would do the job. The language packs are downloadable so needn’t use up data. No idea how well they work with voice, as I suspect a lot of the processing may be handed off to the cloud and a cheap phone may struggle. Worth investigating, though.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    That's was exactly what I was thinking. Which led to the question. Therefore does the capability of an app mitigate the reason for not wanting to take a phone out in the first place.

With that in mind, if you found a great app, have you looked into the idea of buying a dirt cheap Chinese android phone that you'd be willing to write off to robbery?

I’m thinking £50 Alcatel not £1k Samsung Galaxy..

Cheers,

Plug

Google translate seems OK although it only has a female voice iTranslate has good reviews and has an Apple watch version but it's only via £5 pm subscription which I may do nearer the time for a month.
    I wonder if Google Translate can be used via an Apple watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    won't take my omega SMPc either as we will be going to Rio for a few days
    Will you be taking perfume ?

Master
    As for learning Portuguese have a look at duo lingo.