closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Weekend in Rome

Master

Weekend in Rome

Off to Rome for a weekend in March with the wife. She's booked the flights and hotel I need to do the rest.
    Just need to plan the itinerary for when we're there, which is where I need help.
    I'd happily just wonder around going in to anywhere that I pass that interests me, the wife however likes things planned.
    She has stated that she doesn't want to go to lots of stuffy museums and galleries and all she knows she wants to do is see the Trevi fountain, as the hotel is a couple of streets from there that bit shouldn't be a problem.
    Also when it comes to food, I'll try most things and am happy eating from a street vendor through to a Michelin starred restaurant, however she is somewhat more difficult to please, preferring somewhere to sit and eat which is laid-back and isn't just pizza and pasta as both items she doesn't like.
    To be fair I'm not 100% certain why she chose Rome.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

There was a thread on here (about a year ago?) on exactly the same subject.

I am not good with the forum search facility so cant find the link, but it is worth looking out as there was a lot of info on there about it already.

Found it. Link here, which links through to others...
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=rome
    Last edited by Maysie; 21st February 2020 at 16:58. Reason: Link added

Enjoy, it's a beautiful place to visit - most stuff like The Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum are open air and you can wander through like a park so it's not like a museum. to be fair the whole city's an open air museum. It's a proper multi cultural place so it's not just pizza and pasta - we had beautiful seafood, Chinese etc ... oh and the Trevi Fountain is horrible.. Underwhelming, over crowded and surrounded by tat. Don't get your gelato from round there - a couple of streets up there are some amazing gelato places and its half the price...

Master
    I contributed to the aforementioned thread, so won't say more, beyond strongly recommending Imago restaurant, at the top of the Hotel Hassler, for dinner. The food is outstanding and the view famous and unforgettable.

Master
    The Vatican is worth doing. Which coming from me, who usually bursts into flames when stepping into a church, says something.
    If you go make sure you book online as otherwise the queues are absolutely completely horrendous. Luckily my wife managed to book and we just walked straight in :)

Master
    Interesting, I'm off to Rome for 3 nights on Sunday, will catch up on all the previous threads.

Journeyman
    Heading in March too, super helpful.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Do you like to visit the churches? There are many interesting churches in Rome...

I can only think of several from the top of my head:
    Dome of illusion church which is close to Pantheon
    Santa Maria sopra Minerva is also near Pantheon
    Near colosseum there is a church that put the chain of St Peter
    Near Termini there’s a church called Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei martiri

When I travel in European cities,particularly in Italy,I like visiting churches as it shows the grandiose of old engineering and typically they have good statues and sculptures inside...

As for meals,l only know that the local food there is spaghetti carbonara...

I’m over in March too. Maybe we can do a Rome GTG...

Take comfortable shoes. Lots of walking required.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Weekend in Rome

A must do recommendation if I may ..

When near the Spanish steps by the edge of designer shops ( Condolti street if I remember correctly) there is a famous coffee shop named Greco. They make the most amazing hot chocolate.

The waiters wear full traditional waiting outfits and it’s a very traditional experience. Will be around €12 Euro.

Approx 100m from the Pantheon on Via Del Seminario is a restaurant named Taberna Seminario which although ina tourist area serves great robust traditional Local food at reasonable able price with occasional ad-hoc singing by locals.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 22nd February 2020 at 23:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Dome of illusion church which is close to Pantheon
    Sant'Ignazio di Loyola

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Near colosseum there is a church that put the chain of St Peter
    San Pietro in Vincoli

Cancel it now. Don't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Take comfortable shoes. Lots of walking required.
    Excellent advice. And elbow, knee protection for viewing the Vatican/ Cistene chapel, dunno if I was just unlucky but had a hell of a time from a gaggle of Nuns.

Weekend in Rome

I’ was taking the wife to Venice next week- just cancelled it. Not worth the risk. Mostly non refundable

Journeyman
    Just one advice... All the main sightseeings are quite close to each other. So get up early in the morning! The amount of people there is for example at Fontána di Trevi is just horrible. But you´re going to be there alone at 7:30 am + Pantheron, Altare della Patria, Coloseum is very close... Enjoy!

I can tell the OP there is ZERO chance this trip is happening. Flights will be suspended into Italy within 2 weeks.

Master
    The entire country? Where did you find that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    The entire country? Where did you find that out?
    I work for an Italian company and get info and there are many cases now being reported in the Lazio region to which Rome belongs

Master
    I sense my cycling holiday in June disintegrating before my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I can tell the OP there is ZERO chance this trip is happening. Flights will be suspended into Italy within 2 weeks.
    From where and by whom?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Oh no I’m supposed to be spending 6 nights in Sorrento over Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I sense my cycling holiday in June disintegrating before my eyes.
    Not necessarily. When the weather is warmer the virus seems to lose potency. Hence no major spread in Thailand and the Philippines

I work for an Italian company and get info and there are many cases now being reported in the Lazio region to which Rome belongs
    Watch this site...www.protezionecivile.gov.it?

Press release

Coronavirus: 229 cases found in Italy

February 24, 2020

Update at 18.00

At the headquarters of the Department of Civil Protection, the work of the Operating Committee continues in order to ensure the coordination of the interventions of the components and operational structures of the National Civil Protection Service.

As regards health monitoring related to the spread of Coronavirus on the national territory, at the moment 229 people are infected in 5 regions.

In detail: there are 167 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Lombardy, 32 in Veneto, 18 in Emilia-Romagna, 3 in Piedmont, 3 in Lazio. There are 101 patients admitted with symptoms, 27 are in intensive care, while 94 are in home isolation. One person has recovered, while 6 have died.

Edit: Italy is now above Japan in the table of confirmed cases by country. Still pretty safe but what measures they will be implementing and where is not yet clear.

Update:Another site to watch...www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/coronavirus.

Plus:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Italy games in doubt - this would be such a shame!!
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...virus-in-italy
    Lastly: Maybe sign up for a mail alert subscription with the FCO: Italy travel advice?
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th February 2020 at 00:41.

Travel Insurance Coronavirus Q & A...see link.

Ryan was right!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8095235/British-Airways-cancels-flights-Italy-April-4-amid-coronavirus-crisis.html
    Last edited by kungfupanda; 10th March 2020 at 17:23.

Master
    Yep, now having fun trying to mitigate loses.
    The insurers (Post Office) won't pay unless it's classed as a pandemic by WHO even though we paid for extra cover that appears to be useless, the travel agent couldn't give a damn, the hotel say that the booking can't be changed, the airline Alitalia have been great allowing us to move the date.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Declared a pandemic a day ago so hope you get sorted with the post office....

When you do get there the place to visit is the Palazzo Massimo which is almost across the street from the Roma Termini (main train and bus station. This is part of the Roman National Museum and contains probably the best collection of Roman mosaics except for ,maybe, Naples. Last year the cost was 13 euros and you will find that, as it is off the beaten tourist track, it is peaceful and absolutely packed with really interesting mosaics, statues, coins etc. If you do get in there have a look at https://www.milestonerome.com/2018/0...-for-naturemw/

Hope you get there before the Chinese arrive back as they are in hordes and can cause difficulty getting into main attractions (Colleseum, Forum etc).